the muscle v fat myth!

Options
Can any of you kind people explain to me the notion that woman typically do not build muscle!! I overheard a conversation recently in the gym ( from a trainer no less) that woman use the excuse of building muscle to allow for weight gain on the scales. He was basicly saying that 1lb of fat is equal to 1 lb of muscle so you couldn't use that as an excuse! The lady he was speaking to was indignant and told him that she had seen an increase on the scales but had lost inches all round. I had to leave before the end of the argument but i'm curious to what you folks think. Who's right?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Can any of you kind people explain to me the notion that woman typically do not build muscle!! I overheard a conversation recently in the gym ( from a trainer no less) that woman use the excuse of building muscle to allow for weight gain on the scales. He was basicly saying that 1lb of fat is equal to 1 lb of muscle so you couldn't use that as an excuse! The lady he was speaking to was indignant and told him that she had seen an increase on the scales but had lost inches all round. I had to leave before the end of the argument but i'm curious to what you folks think. Who's right?
    Building muscle isn't as easy as it sounds. And it's practically impossible to do it while on a calorie deficit. With females it's also another challenge since testosterone is produced in low amounts.
    If she saw an increase in the scales (and with the assumption that she's on calorie deficit) the increase is water weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

If she saw an increase in the scales (and with the assumption that she's on calorie deficit) the increase is water weight.

If she's new to training, it could be increased bone-density as well.
  • forgetmenot5683
    forgetmenot5683 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help answer your question. I'm no expert, but I weigh quite a bit for my height. In fact i just check my BMI and I am slightly over my recommended weight. I am in powerlifting in my high school and have been for three years. I have moved up a weight class every year since I joined and my BMI is now 25.2. I am 5' 3" and weigh 142.5, but if you asked anyone who could look at me they would tell you I am not overweight at all. I run, I try to eat healthy, and I don't have much excess fat, but I have a lot of muscle due to lifting weights and running. Most people look at me and say I look at 10 to 20 pounds lighter than I am. Also, a lot of girls in powerlifting look lighter than they are (if they are good lifters.) So in my experience and opinion muscle does weigh more than fat. Hope this gave you some perspective. :) ~Diana~
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you go to this link..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/464002-muscle-weigh-more-than-fat-help <---- find my post.

Yup it is lazy Sunday, I didn't want to copy it all, lol - hope it helps.
  • lookgood46
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, looked at those links and they explain a lot. thanks again.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Thanks, really needed this today after a week where I started lifting heavier and suffered a bump on the scale. No matter how much you know, it is still hard to swallow an apparent "gain." Love the visual and the links to the other threads.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump