Lets talk depression

Options
do you have depression and does that affect your eating habbits. i know mine is really bad this time of year

Replies

• floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar depression. I understand how difficult it is to lose weight while dealing with the depression. Most days I don't even get dressed. I am under doctor's care and do take medications to control the depression. Here's what I do: I allow myself small treats, like fun sized candy, throughout the day to keep me on track. It's been working for me. Knowing that I'm getting that treat stopped me from going into a full blown binge. Of course I add these treats into my diary. Try it and maybe it will help you.
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    I do and it does. But usually I stop eating. I had a real problem after I started in June 2011. My brother visited for a month (we live overseas right now) when he left I got really depressed and stopped making progress.
  • DanielleWatson83
    DanielleWatson83 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    im being checked for bipolar as well... do u have facebook... i wish i had someone to talk to about this
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

7. Do Not Publish Private Contact Information

For your safety, do not post personal information such as telephone numbers, emails, mailing addresses, instant messenger ids, etc.

Edited by Arewethereyet, MFP Moderator
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have depression, but it is well controlled with medication. I was on a med that made it impossible for me to lose weight (Lexapro), but switched and have been able to lose steadily ever since. The only time I had problems was when I was transitioning between medications, because my depression was not well controlled. If it gets out of control, I will stuff my face.
  • mnkenned
    mnkenned Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you feel like it's seasonal (and you live somewhere cold) look into getting a little UV lamp for your living room or desk or wherever you spend the most time. Seasonal affective disorder is EXTREMELY common and I have friends for which a UV lamp totally worked.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's situational, when it's bad, I don't eat at all. It's the stress that gets me...high stress, high anxiety days, I could eat EVERYTHING! LOL
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Yeah massively:-( I have anorexia but I'm currently in recovery, my depression makes it hard because my eating depends on my moods. If I feel low I generally can't eat or drink anything and because I also have bulimic tendencies(purging)I purge alot on those days but on my good days, I can eat most of my meals:-)
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    it's always hard to eat well and care for yourself when you don't care about anything, you can pretty much tell my mood by my diary, the days in the red are the ones i don't feel well. If your depression is typically worse in the winter or on continually cloudy days, try taking a vitamin D supplement (try doubleing the suggested dose or see a Dr. and get your blood tested for vitamin D deficiency), the lack of sun is a HUGE factor in Seasonal Affective Disorder (seasonal depression). I'm on mass doses of vitamin D because of my levels and it made a huge impact only 3 days after i started taking it. Wish you luck and success on your journey!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from depression and SAD. The more weight I lose and the healthier I get the better I get. This year the depression has been minimal and barely impacted my life. I think focusing on health improves our quality of life overall.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    im being checked for bipolar as well... do u have facebook... i wish i had someone to talk to about this

I was actually misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder, I actually had situational depression and I have generalized anxiety disorder. I am also a mental health therapist, and I feel bipolar is way overdiagnosed...not saying it isn't accurate, I'm just saying be careful, and if you're placed on several different med cocktails and your symptoms are worse than when you weren't on anything, probably not BPD. I am not on ANY psychotropic medications right now, and I'm doing great (again, I'm not a psychiatrist, please get checked out, just sharing my experiences both personally and professionally). add me or e-mail me if you need :)
  • sweetheart37
    Options
    yes i have but on meds, ive found i can control it better ,,my worst moments are when i get really upset and stressed out then i have to focus and try not to eat , and having anxiety disorder doesnt help ,i found before they put me on meds i was feeding the anxiety cause i didnt no what was wrong with me ....
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    I have been on meds for it for almost 12 years after a suicide attempt. I am on Effexor and on a high dose. I have gained and lost through the years. This time I'm getting a lot of counseling on my weight loss journey. It sure helps. Also, exercise is a natural mood booster. I have SADD and so I'm worse this time of year. I try to get out as much as possible. Luckily I live where the sun shines most of the time. I have also learned to put my health first in my life. I do no one much good if I'm not healthy. Lot's and lot's of help is out there, you just need to reach out (like you are doing) and grab it. Good luck! Feel free to friend me!
  • deedy69
    Options
    Yes definately xx
  • cassuccino
    cassuccino Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have depression and I definitely turn to food for 'comfort'. I lost 70 pounds a few years ago doing a low carb, high protein, 1500 calorie diet and I was feeling so good!! Then one of my antidepressants stopped working and I just went into a big black hole... I gained the 70 pounds back, plus 20 more. All within a year. It was horrible. I know I have food issues. I've been losing weight again (after a few years of just letting myself go and eating what I wanted because I figured, I wanted to die, why not do it eating food I wanted to eat?!?!) and I'm starting to understand my food issues a little more and I'm feeling a lot better. My diet really, really helps me. It's pretty strict and regimented but it's working for me and it's helping me to find things to do besides eat. So far, I've lost 75 pounds. =) I still have 15 to lose to get to my old weight from my last weight loss... and I have about 100+ more pounds to go after that... but I'm actually feeling like maybe this time I'll be able to do it... and I'll finally be happy. I know it's not a cure-all (dieting) but I'm feeling so much better about life now... I can't even imagine how much better I'll feel when I'm 100+ pounds less than this. =) It takes a lot of work but I really believe you can overcome any issues with food... if you really want to. =)

Good luck to you with all your goals in life!!! You can do whatever you set your mind to!! =)
  • ladyjeanne57
    ladyjeanne57 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do sympathize with you. How bad is your depression? Does it feel sometimes like it literally hurts? I have had those times and I remember when my daughter was 16 and I had it planned that once she was out of high school I would then commit suicide. I so wish that I would have reached out for professional help. Other times it has been just this overwhelming "greyness". Eat healthy? Not a chance. In both degrees of depression it is very hard to find the energy to think of healthy eating with anything less than despair.

I only mention this because...I never reached out to friends or professionals. Please reach out to others. Don't be alone in it. Talk to your physician. Wrap yourself in the love and caring of friends. I would be proud to be considered a friend.

Don't let the depression tell you that you are without worth. Keep telling yourself that you are a wonderful person. Keep considering depression as that pessimistic friend or family member that thinks they are being helpful, but, are only pulling you down. Treat yourself with love and caring. You are worth it!
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have SAD which is seasonal affective disorder and I get it in winter and that's when I eat more than I should because I don't wanna do anything or go anywhere if I can stay in my warm house with my comfort food.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Have you looked into Seasonal Affective Disorder? It's episodes of depression that occur at a certain time of the year, usually during winter. Taking long walks during the daylight hours and getting exercise can make the symptoms better. Keep active socially, even if it involves some effort. Light therapy using a special lamp with a very bright fluorescent light (10,000 lux) that mimics light from the sun may also be helpful.

Anyways, talk to your doctor about your symptoms.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder and yes it has affected my eating habits, but not as much as the actual medication has. Mood stabilizers/anti-psychotics are notorious for their weight gain side effects. I went from being 110 to 150 within two years of being treated like a guinea pig by psychiatrists who were playing trial and error rather than on proven patient results. :/ I finally got sick of the weight and got down to a healthy 125 about a year and a half ago. I am now 137 and aiming to get back to 125, but I can definitely tell you that eating right, exercise, meditation, and therapy can bring a lot of balance into your life and help you start being who you want to be. :)
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For those that have mentioned SAD, you might want to take a look at some of the seasonal lighting options: http://goo.gl/lP8xU

We have both the energy light and the wake-up light (I love the alarm clock).