Aspiring Vegans.

Options
2»

Replies

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat vegan for several years. I have some side effects and I was wondering if any of you vegans have had these symptoms and could tell me how to get rid of them: Within 24 hours of not eating meat, I begin to get muscle cramps and by 48 hours I have severe cramps in all my muscles. If I add a little meat, it goes away, but even with a little meat, about 4 months into it, I start to get a nerve problem. The nerve that runs down the arm and over the elbow gives me problems - tingling and then numbness. I was all set for surgery and then I ate spaghetti and meatballs and it went away completely. So, it's definitely the meat. Any ideas?? My two doctors have no clue why this happens.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/ this is my absolute favourite source for vegan recipies!! I am a vegetarian but absolutely love this site!! check it out :)
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did LOTS of research on being vegan and read many books and went vegan January 1st 2011. I ate tons of veggies and good quality whole grains. I did everything right and did it for 9 months and then I started feeling weak and sick all the time. I did more research and found former vegan's who'd done it for years and it had horrible effects on their bodies. I LOVE animals, but I'm no longer a vegan andfeelingso much better physically. Just make sure you research eveything from both sides.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am also having trouble giving up cheese. I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. I can go weeks not eating any animal products...then BAM...I eat some form of dairy (usually cheese). Since the new year, I have been eating vegan at about 90%.

No diet is healthy if not properly balanced.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/ this is my absolute favourite source for vegan recipies!! I am a vegetarian but absolutely love this site!! check it out :)
    Thanks for the link...looks great!
  • dominikki3
    dominikki3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vegan here as well, I'm trying to find recipes myself that doesn't contain a lot of soy as it is not good for my particular health issues. But I love eating vegan, no regrets with the change.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan since 1/1/2010. I sent a friend request.

I went vegan from an omni diet and I haven't had any cravings and feel wonderful. My terrible stomach issues have disappeared (this former dairy loving girl is evidently lactose intolerant). I also eat little soy and as a general rule have always had a "whole foods" type approach to eating - I want what I eat to actually resemble what its made from. That said, I do absolutely love tofu, but limit it to once a week at most.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat vegan for several years. I have some side effects and I was wondering if any of you vegans have had these symptoms and could tell me how to get rid of them: Within 24 hours of not eating meat, I begin to get muscle cramps and by 48 hours I have severe cramps in all my muscles. If I add a little meat, it goes away, but even with a little meat, about 4 months into it, I start to get a nerve problem. The nerve that runs down the arm and over the elbow gives me problems - tingling and then numbness. I was all set for surgery and then I ate spaghetti and meatballs and it went away completely. So, it's definitely the meat. Any ideas?? My two doctors have no clue why this happens.

talk to your doctor about it and check out the "blood type diet" my friend tried to go veggie but felt exactly how your describing after talking to her doc she found out that apparently her blood type "needs' meat. She simply could not thrive on a meat free diet. If you want to go veggie/vegan for ethical reasons then maybe some more experienced people could give you some good substitutes.

Also, are you pairing your proteins? While veggies, legumes and grains all have protein they are not "complete" proteins. it may be as simple as making sure you eat some brown rice with your beans or leafy greens. It is suggested that when you pair these you eat them within an hour of each other to get the full benefits.
  • mellissabee
    mellissabee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have not yet tried my hand at making/BBQ-ing tofu but that's on my list!!! Thanks fro the add!
  • mellissabee
    mellissabee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for all the replies and friend requests.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to being vegan as well but I definitely feel better! Enjoy the shift!