daily calorie level

Options
Today I weighed in. I lowered my calorie intake according to MFP. I had previously set my calorie level at 1500 a day. MFP says around 1300 a day. Another website says I should be at around 1900 a day.

All I know is the 1300 a day plan does not seem to give me weight loss.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Replies

• laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I set on myfitnesspal 1200 kcal a day and I'm starting to notice the weight loss :) I would suggest you to try with 1200!
  • Saviik
    Saviik Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been working at losing weight for some time now. I know for a fact that you need to make sure you're eating enough. 1200 often times isn't enough for people and it's the LOWEST a female should go.. so you're really pushing your boundaries with 1200.

I tried 1200 when I first tried to lose weight and it ended up me giving up due to serious hunger issues. I wanted that fast paced weight loss and it got me no where. The next time around I went with 1400-1500. Lost a bit a weight and got stuck again. I now am trying to stay around 1300-1500 and added exercise to boost how many calories I burn.

I don't know how much you're trying to lose and where you're at weight wise so it's hard to help a ton. There's a ton of different variables to look at when it comes to losing weight. Like weight, age, height, activity level, and so on.

If you're not far from your body's "ideal" weight it's going to be harder for you to lose weight. Counting calories always helps, but adding in exercise might help more than lowering your calories further.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the calories you burn by exercise? This site is the only one I know of that requires you to enter exercise in order to get those extra calories.

Since we know nothing about you, and another site tells you to eat 1900, I am assuming you set your goals here to "Lose 2 pounds a week" and your activity level as "Sedentary"....which may or may not be accurate or realistic.

Why not try eating somewhere between 1300 and 1900 - say 1600. Try that for a couple weeks, see what happens. Obviously what you are doing is not working, and 1300 (Net) is really really low.
  • kuaaina
    kuaaina Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do eat calories to get me to 1200 net when I do exercise. I am a SAHM and need to lose 10-20 lbs. I don't know what to do but I do know that I average 2-4 workouts a week and 1200-1300 seems to low for whatever reason.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating and portion control is the first key to healthy lifestyle. Just take your time and make small changes you will be able to live with forever. Welcome and good luck.
  • nagham84
    Options
    Work out your MBR (metabolic rate) to know how much you burn when you're idle. Then set the calories a couple of hundred lower and work out to burn more calories, so you end up consuming less calories than you burn to lose the weight. My MBR, for example, is 1350; so my calorie limit is 1200 and I should exercise 3 hours a week at least.

It also depends on what kind of food you eat; so even if you stick to the calories limit but you're mostly eating carbs then it's going to be alot harder to lose weight. And make sure you don't eat too few calories either; you need to keep your MBR up to keep burning calories (4-5 meals a day and exercise help).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Work out your MBR (metabolic rate) to know how much you burn when you're idle. Then set the calories a couple of hundred lower and work out to burn more calories, so you end up consuming less calories than you burn to lose the weight. My MBR, for example, is 1350; so my calorie limit is 1200 and I should exercise 3 hours a week at least.

NO. You should never be eating below your BMR.
    I do eat calories to get me to 1200 net when I do exercise. I am a SAHM and need to lose 10-20 lbs. I don't know what to do but I do know that I average 2-4 workouts a week and 1200-1300 seems to low for whatever reason.

You need to be eating much more than 1200 calories, Net.

That other site told you to eat 1900. This site told you 1300. You either have your activity level here set too LOW or you are trying to lose weight too quickly. Change your activity level to lightly or moderately active. Change your goal to "Lose 1/2 pound per week".

Try eating around 1600, like I suggested above. You said you are not losing weight. You aren't eating enough.

YOU ARE VERY CLOSE TO A HEALTHY WEIGHT. EAT MORE.

• kristijoanderson
    Options
    First of all, I love your Doberman!! Then, about your calories and exercise, if you undercut your calories, you will only lose temporary weight. You have to fuel the engine to burn calories. I love the book, the flat belly diet. It is a sensible approach and it is easy to follow. The daily calorie intake is 1600 and it is definitely not painful. No eathing weird stuff or taking weird supplements. I love it. Good luck