Too much sugar

Options
So I've been eating well (a complete 180 from what I was eating) and exercising 5 times a week at the gym since the new year. I'm seeing results, which I'm so excited about. However, I haven't once managed to stay within the amount of sugar that MFP has set for me. I'm within my sodium amount and all of the other goals set for me by MFP. Should I be worried about this? I'm not eating sweets or chocolate (apart from on my treat day :wink: ). Most of my sugar is coming through fruit, muller lights, tinned soup and jars of sauce at dinner time. Any advice?

Replies

• unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this. I have cut out a lot of sweets so far and I always exceed my daily sugar. I get upset because it comes from good things like milk or fruit instead of candy and cookies. A trainer I talked to said try to stay below 50 grams. I can usually get it under 60. I would say as long as you are conscious of it and are trying to cut it down you are doing fine.
  • MrsStrom725
    MrsStrom725 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer/nutritionist; fruit is not that good for you. Its great as a treat, but I don't recommend that anybody use it as a staple. Vegetables are quite lower in calories and have just as many nutrients. :smile:
  • Donna_Houghton
    Donna_Houghton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. I'll try substituting most of the fruit I'm eating with vegetables instead.

Good luck with your sugar reduction too @unicornpoop :smile:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer/nutritionist; fruit is not that good for you. Its great as a treat, but I don't recommend that anybody use it as a staple. Vegetables are quite lower in calories and have just as many nutrients. :smile:

LOL
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I am a dietetics student and fruit is GREAT for you. Has sugar yes, but also vitamins and fiber. And delicious! I wouldn't worry about sugar if it is coming form natural sources at all.

I don't watch my sugar at all anymore. It has absolutely no effect on weight loss as long as you are in a calorie deficit
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options

This is false, fruits are very good for you, just not in excess. The have many vitamins and nutrients. There are some that are better for weight loss, such as oranges, grapefruit, apples and berries to name a few.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I am a dietetics student and fruit is GREAT for you. Has sugar yes, but also vitamins and fiber. And delicious! I wouldn't worry about sugar if it is coming form natural sources at all.

I don't watch my sugar at all anymore. It has absolutely no effect on weight loss as long as you are in a calorie deficit

^^Ditto. If it's coming from a glass of milk, fruit, a hand full of almonds...I don't worry about it. I avoid processed foods and i feel great, so I ignore the sugar now. I watch my fiber (to make sure I get enough), my sodium, and my fat contents.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Not this crap again.

Donnah: I would cut back on the beer and start reading the labels on your soups and sauces. Soups and sauces should not have a lot of added sugar. But eat fruit in abundance. It is good for you, period.
  • luvmakeup4ever
    luvmakeup4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options

^^^THIS^^^

I am a Pharmacist and if you want to hear the scientific side of eating fruits, here ya go! Eating fruit with pulp and skin intact prevents constipation, diverticular disease, varicose veins, hiatus hernia and it minimizes the risk of bowel cancer. You must get your fruit in order to get natural fiber. Soluble and insoluble fibers are the key to weight loss; prefferably 25-35 grams per day. The impact of sugars from fruits are very low on the glycemic index meaning your pancreas will process it with more efficiency than it would a chocolate bar. Continue to eat your fruit, lady! Cheers!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ^^ this, great explanation