Medical conditions, medications, and weight loss

Options
taso42
taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
We often hear that certain medical conditions or medications can hinder weight loss efforts. I am aware of this anecdotally, but not scientifically. How does it work? Is it typically an exception to "calories in vs calories out"? The replies here might potentially be useful to put in the "Unofficial FAQ".

Replies

• brittni127
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism which slows down my metabolism greatly, pretty much to a stand still when I'm not medicated. Different hormones also affect weight loss, some women when they are on certain birth control pills gain weight because of the hormone shift introduced from the birth control.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Some medications slow the metabolism, such as blood pressure meds which actually slow the heartrate.

Some meds, like birth control or hormone replacement also affect how the body utilizes nutrients and when.

Thyroid problems affect metabolism, and the medications are a hormone replacement.

The endocrine system is tied to metabolism. Insulin is a hormone, so you can see that relationship.

Like steroids probably affect hormones, (I don't know, I'm guessing) hence the metabolic and behaviour issues associated with them.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    how it works, scientifically, is people in the clinical trials report that they gained weight, and then that is reported as a side effect of the medication

It is very rare that scientists spend any time elucidating the mechanisms by which a particular drug causes weight gain. There are some KNOWN cases of course, like steroids... (for asthma, allergic reactions and autoimmune disease, etc)
  • taso42
    Options
    Thanks for replying. Slowing down metabolism I can sort of understand -- TDEE is reduced, making it harder to lose weight even if eating what would normally be considered a calorie deficit for the average person with the same height, weight, gender, and body composition.

I think the hormonal side is what I'm having more trouble getting. Do the hormones directly affect the metabolism, or is something else at play?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yes. LMGTFY.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i know thyroid function has an impact on weight (gain/loss) but, from what i've read, not to an extreme degree: http://www.thyroidtoday.com/PatientResources/english/Thyroid Hormone_E07.pdf
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    There are some KNOWN cases of course, like steroids... (for asthma, allergic reactions and autoimmune disease, etc)

This is true. My daughter always gains a pound or two if she has been through a heavy course of steroids for her asthma. She is only 2, so 1-2 pounds is quite a lot. She eats the same foods during these times, but less of them, so it has to be more than calories in vs calories out at play. (Not that I have ever weigh her myself, her pediatrician monitors her growth very closely.)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have 1 medical condition that requires me to limit my protein intake to 30 grams per day. Unless I was born with it, and unless I choose to get a liver transplant, i'll have it for my entire life.

I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - which is an autoimmune thyroid disease. << Kills my metabolism.

The way I've always seen it: They contradict each other...because people say that protein is the key to weight loss/dieting - and i can't really have that like everyone else can...and then my hashimoto's kills off whatever chance I have left to lose the weight.

Trying to make a real change in a big way, but it is NOT easy.
  • taso42
    Options
    Just thinking out loud here.... if the issue is with metabolic slowdown, perhaps a good strategy to try would be HIIT and strength training, and/or anything else with a significant "afterburn" effect, in an attempt to keep the metabolism revved for longer than just the time spent doing the exercise.

Also, wondering out loud, are devices like the BodyMedia Fit and BodyBugg able to see the metabolic slowdown, or would they seem to give numbers that are too high?
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. It slows metabolism and it makes exercise impossible. Before I was diagnosed, I was falling asleep sitting up. I was tired and sluggish all day long. Medication has changed my life!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was on a Good dose (60mg) Prednisone for 6 months (for Lupus) and it not only makes your metabolism slow but also gave my more energy which made my hungrier and I wanted everything under the sun.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Just thinking out loud here.... if the issue is with metabolic slowdown, perhaps a good strategy to try would be HIIT and strength training, and/or anything else with a significant "afterburn" effect, in an attempt to keep the metabolism revved for longer than just the time spent doing the exercise.

Also, wondering out loud, are devices like the BodyMedia Fit and BodyBugg able to see the metabolic slowdown, or would they seem to give numbers that are too high?

Hm...i've seen that talked about (HIIT) but i dont know what it is. I also have a good 70lbs to lose so i dont know when i should start strength training.
  • BlondeLisa1
    BlondeLisa1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimotos. It kills my metabolism and requires me to take meds to try to adjust but even with hard work and carefully diet, I'm not losing like I want to. The only thing I can do is to keep at it, slow and steady and know that eventually, I'll get there. It's going to take longer and be harder than for most people but the end result is still worth it. I'm hoping that when I get down to where I need to be that I'll be able to carefully maintain it. It will probably be a life long battle, which is why I'm going the MFP route instead of the diet pills and crap I could do. It needs to be a life-long lifestyle to have hopes of succeeding and being healthy.
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i know thyroid function has an impact on weight (gain/loss) but, from what i've read, not to an extreme degree: http://www.thyroidtoday.com/PatientResources/english/Thyroid Hormone_E07.pdf

I agree. I didn't gain a ton of weight when my thyroid went whacko. However, losing weight, was much more difficult. I was so tired! Really, I can't even explain how tired. Once I started medication, I was able to exercise and I was much more active. It's made a difference.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My issue is a fairly severe case of Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgitation, which does not directly affect the calories in/calories out, however, my medication to alleviate the symptoms does.

I am on a beta blocker, a medication which lowers my resting heart rate significantly. There is some indication that this lowers my BMR as well, however, there's not a lot of science being done on this. My biggest issue is exercise. My HR cannot get above 130 for any extended period of time without pain, so intense cardio is a problem for me (meaning large burns in reasonable time periods don't happen).

When I do cardio, it has to be longer lower-impact cardio to do the same burn.
  • taso42
    Options

Hm...i've seen that talked about (HIIT) but i dont know what it is. I also have a good 70lbs to lose so i dont know when i should start strength training.

We're going off on a slight tangent here, but that's fine. :)

HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. It's a form of cardio where you alternate between an all-out effort and a lighter effort over and over again for a period of time (usually around 15-20 minutes or so, but can be as low as 4 minutes). This site has an overview: http://www.intervaltraining.net/highintensityintervaltraining.html

Strength training we usually recommend to everybody. The sooner you start the better. Obviously beginners would start out quite light. Strength training will help you preserve your existing muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest (not to mention, the better you look).
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    We often hear that certain medical conditions or medications can hinder weight loss efforts. I am aware of this anecdotally, but not scientifically. How does it work? Is it typically an exception to "calories in vs calories out"? The replies here might potentially be useful to put in the "Unofficial FAQ".
    It's still pretty much going to be calories in vs calories out, BUT BMR may well be different as a result of medication. Medications can also affect appetite too so that you naturally end up eating more than you need because your brain thinks you are actually hungry in need of fuel. This can usually be kept under control but it does make it more difficult for those who are affected in this way. Some medications and medical conditions also alter your metabolism which means your BMR may well be different from that calculated by MFP and you may burn more of fewer calories when you exercise. This means if your BMR is reduced due to a condition or medication you will need to eat less and this can make it harder to lose weight because at the end of the day it is pretty much calories in vs calories out. If you are burning fewer you have to eat fewer. This does make it more difficult to lose weight and much easier to gain it, especially if you were previously able to eat more because you are used to that higher intake and you'll probably feel hungry.

I'm sure there are other more complex mechanisms involved too, such as ability to metabolise certain foods. But generally, conditions and medications can make it harder to lose weight. It doesn't mean you can't lose weight, just that it will be harder work and may take longer. Sorry for waffling on like that :happy:
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    “In many cases a drug increases appetite or makes people crave certain foods”

“Weight gain associated with the use of insulin is probably due to the fact that insulin can lead to periods of hypoglycemia, which stimulates appetite”

“Some drugs alter metabolism, causing the body to burn calories more slowly or to store fat.

“Some corticosteroids make the body less able to absorb blood glucose, and this can lead to fat deposits in the trunk and weight gain.”

“Other medications produce fatigue or shortness of breath, making the person less active (the antihypertensive drugs known as beta-blockers are thought to have this effect), or can cause water retention (a side effect of antihypertensive calcium channel blockers)”

http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/prescription_drugs/JohnsHopkinsPrescriptionsDrugsHealthAlert_656-1.html

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR: You may be advised to stop taking the medication, switch to one associated with less or no weight gain or even weight loss or take a lower dose.

***YOU ALSO MY NEED TO CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS AND BOOST PHYSICAL ACTIVITY ***
  • BlondeLisa1
    BlondeLisa1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ***YOU ALSO MY NEED TO CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS AND BOOST PHYSICAL ACTIVITY ***

This made me laugh. You think? :P