Hello, new to MFP

Options
Hi to everyone on the MFP board. My name is Dave and I signed up here about 3 weeks ago after reading about one of our local weatherman's success using the site. I am 41 and weighed 363 this morning ( 6'4" tall). I've lost 17 pounds in the last three weeks. I am not sure what my heaviest weight was. I weighed 465 in November 2008 but must have been heavier than that as I had been walking to work most days for about 4 months by then and my pants were getting a little loose. In March 2009 I had a friend who was out of work move in to my place and he started cooking to do what he could to contribute. I got down to 415 by July when he moved out. On my 39th birthday (in December 2009) I weighed 438 lbs and decided I needed to get serious about losing weight. I knew my diet was the main problem and started eating a lot more vegetables and a lot less fast food. I also knew that I would exercise more if I had some sort of goal. I decided I wanted to run a marathon by my 40th birthday (it didn't happen but I did run a half marathon in October 2010.) I started walking 15 minutes as fast as I could at first and soon was up to an hour. Around May I started running and by October I finished the half marathon. I got my weight down to 335 and was feeling good enough about myself to start asking women out on dates again. The dating lead to dining out more often and a stagnation on the weight loss. After getting out of the routine, my weight eventually went back up to 380. It has yo yoed from 360 - 380 for about a year now.

I hope MFP will help me with this. So far it is keeping me honest and is letting me know just how bad some items are. I logged my food for the day I started in the evening after I had finished eating. I figured I would be a little over what I should eat but was shocked (appalled and disappointed too) to find out I consumed nearly 5800 Calories for the day. Hell, I felt hungry and was fighting myself not to eat more. Since then, I am back to eating more veggies, chicken, fish, and turkey. I am rarely hungry and I am usually close to my goal Calories (but haven't been over yet) and often have some sherbet or fruit bars in the evening to get my Calories up. I am walking one direction to/from work and taking the bus home most days of the week. (the trip is about 3.5 miles. Earlier discussion of walking to work was about 1/2 mile. I moved since then.) I also hired a personal trainer to provide me a weight lifting routine. I plan to see him every two weeks and work out on my own in the interim. I can already feel a difference in my arms, chest, and legs after just 4 work outs. Putting some of the weight back on was a big disappointment but I had a little NSV at the gym earlier this week. I was walking on the treadmill at 4.2 mph and realized that when I tried to use it in 2008 I was so wide that I had to hold the sides. Otherwise I would have to raise my arms up to an unnatural position to use the thing. It really made me feel good to realize I had come a long way even if I still have a lot of work to do.

I plan to post pictures some time soon. I have a new computer and all my old pictures and photo storage software is on the old one. I could use support and would be happy to offer it to others if anyone wants to add me as a friend. Thanks for taking the time to read this. It is longer than I intended when I sat down.

Replies

• MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Dave! Good job with the weight loss the past few weeks! Keep at it, and it'll keep getting easier!
  • boo59
    boo59 Posts: 5
    Options
    Wishing you all the best!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the family! I am always available to friend, the more support the better, so feel free to add me if you want! I also know a lot about nutrition if you ever have questions too! You are definitely on the right track, keep it up and you'll be running a marathon in no time :) I always add my food as i eat it so I'm not taken by surprise at the end of the day, although i'm sure you know that now... MFP is great for keeping you on track and the support is very helpful, it's nice to have support on the rough days as well as on the good ones!
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Being honest and accountable is the first step and it sounds like you are off to a great start! Sending you a FR:)
    Ruth
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Dude.... you can do this! This is the perfect place for you to be! Its a great community with lots of great people and support. Its all up to you though. You have to be honest with yourself and ask how bad do you want this..... I have been here for a year and have many friends that have lost over 100 and 200 pounds.... true success stories! Yours can be one of them!!
    I am going to send you a friend request. If you want support I will be here for you bud! Good luck to you!