What Vitamins and Supplements are we taking?

Options
At the moment I have 2kg of Choclate Sci MX Protein Diet Shake which I have one in the morning and one after my work out.

I use this as it's designed to supplement weight loss (i.e. it has low carbs, low cals, high protein and green tea extract etc), the protein also helps my muscles recover quicker.

Like all supplements this isn't a magic formula that melts the fat etc it all comes down to how much you burn at the gym but it's handy for if you are running late and can't eat a breakfast or lunch and is also good for if your not that hungry but still want to maintain your calorie intake.

I am looking for some advice on what other products to take not just for weight loss purposes but just for health and recovery purposes i.e. Multivits or Cod Liver Oil capsules and what the benefits are.

Any reccomendations or advice greatfully received.

Mark

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, fish oil, and whey protein for post workout recovery.
  • lrnpage
    lrnpage Posts: 27
    Options
    i don't take anything, not vitamins or any sort of medicine either - i'm a big believer in food as medicine and that all your nutritional values can come from food and a varied diet. Even as a vegan i make sure i get everything i need without vitamins - the only thing i have in my cupboard is deactivated yeast which i only bought for a recipe.
  • Mark1984Scotland
    Options

I already take the protein and plan on getting the multivits, but what are the benefits of fish oil ( I presume that cod liver oil capsules are the same thing) and do you notice a difference when you take them.

Thanks
  • lrnpage
    lrnpage Posts: 27
    Options

I already take the protein and plan on getting the multivits, but what are the benefits of fish oil ( I presume that cod liver oil capsules are the same thing) and do you notice a difference when you take them.

Thanks

fish oil is a blood pressure lowerer :) i only know cause my dad often takes them to keep his under control without having to go onto statens
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Dymatize iso - 100 protein
    Modern bcaa
    NOW Omega 3-6-9
    Controlled Labs Orange Triad - multi
    L-Glutamine
    Kre-Alkalyn Creatine
    Milk Thistle
    Potassium Gluconate
    I think thats it
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    I currently take an A-Z multivitamin and Cod Liver Oil.. Although after that comment of it lowering your blood pressure I probably shouldn't take it, as I've had low blood pressure most of my life.
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Fish Oil 1000mg
    Vitamin D 2000IU a day
    Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc Vitamin
    B Complex Vitamin
    Probiotic
  • rbwoodford
    rbwoodford Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fish Oil, especially Cod Liver Oil or Harp Seal oil, is packed full of great omega 3's. It's also a great source of Vitamin A (The one I take has over 100 mg per capsule) and Vitamin D (Which is great, since where I live and work we get limited sunlight even during the summer).
  • sazziewazzie
    sazziewazzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Acai berry
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I take 5000 Vit D, Vit B complex , Chromium Picolinate 1000, Multi vitamin with iron and calcium for women. I need to get Fish Oil and take that and if it lowers BP that would be a huge plus for me
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I take nothing. I should take iron and Vitamin D but haven't really ever taken it. I really don't want to drudge out extra pills every day just to be fit. It seems to me to be the opposite of healthy, Not that it's right but just the way my mind works!
  • jsharpnack
    jsharpnack Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I take a multi with zinc, 2000mg of vitamin D, flax seed oil 1000mg, probiotic, fish oil daily
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I take nothing. I should take iron and Vitamin D but haven't really ever taken it. I really don't want to drudge out extra pills every day just to be fit. It seems to me to be the opposite of healthy, Not that it's right but just the way my mind works!

Vitamin D has a TON of health benefits. Most people do not get enough sunlight. Vitamin D helps fight the immune system and bone density. I haven't had so much of a cold all winter. Plus it helps with energy and depression. I would drop all other vitamins I take but never Vitamin D! I know Omega-3 vitamins are very good for us too. Again most do not get enough from foods so it is important to get it other ways. Especially the older we get the more important it is to take vitamins.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D3 - 1000 mg
    Grapeseed Extract - 200 mg
    Coleus Forskohlii Extract - 100 mg

I bought and wanted to start B12 but the tablets are way too big
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You might want to read this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6399773.stm
  • Dreamer1311
    Options
    Especially the older we get the more important it is to take vitamins.

Sorry to tell you that but thats a false statement! Only with a balanced diet and excercise can you achieve a healthy lifestyle.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I take one scoop of Body Fortress protein after i lift, or before bed if i dont.............thats it
  • Dreamer1311
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2078861/Taking-multi-vitamin-pills-does-health.html

You should only take vitamins if your number is significantly lower than recommended. Based on a doctors recommendation is when u should start taking some

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/vitamin-side-effects
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ir regularly take Vit B complex, fish oil, Vit D, and cal/mag. I've run out now, but I also prefer to take tryptophan and l-tyrosine. I love me some tyrosine. :smile:

ETA FWIW at one point I NEEDED the aminos - after a few months I was able to start reducing how much I took until I was down to none. I'm feeling like I might need them again, and refocus my attention on making sure my diet meets those needs.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin, iron pill, cayenne fruit, cranberry, and folic acid....quite a few pills