I don't like veggies! Help me learn to!

Options
Ok so as I child I was never given much for veggies. So today I am trying to learn how to like them....unfortunately I also have a texture problem....which is mind over matter--I'm hoping-- But i was wondering if there are any suggestions on how to cook veggies in a healthier way to help me enjoy them....rather than adding all the butter and crap...any suggestions would help!

Replies

• Blessed_Mommy86
    Blessed_Mommy86 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I find that roasted veggies taste better than raw veggies... It usually adds a little sweetness, which is always good in my book. :)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Roasting veggies makes them crunchy and brings out the natural sugars in them! Spray a baking sheet with Pam and put your cleaned, dry, cut up veggies (faves of mine are broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, Cabbage wedges cut through the core so they hold together, onions, or mushrooms). Spray the veggies with a quick spray of Pam if you want, season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, or whatever you want and roast at 400*-425*, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Check and see when they are done to your liking, usually 20-30 minutes depending on what kind. I like when they are a bit crisp with dark brown edges.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi....
    I do a lot of smoothies. I use spinach, Kale or greens and add strawberries and 6 ounces of O.J. These will hide the vegie
    taste. By doing this, I end up with about 2 servings of fruits and vegies.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Add some cheese or light/ fat free veggie dip!
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try sneaking them in like carrots in pasta sauce, zucchini in healthy muffins, cooked sweet potato in a smoothie,etc.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have your problem as well so one of my New Year's resolutions is to try one new vegetable every 2 weeks which is when I do groceries. So far I've tried sweet potatoes, peppers (which I grill), spinach (I mix it in my omelet), and cauliflower. I plan on roasting a few next to try that.

I also bought this book to help me.

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Basics-Recipes-Illustrated-Cooking/dp/1554077605/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327881556&sr=1-1
  • hunibuni73
    hunibuni73 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Roasted beat root is so yummy!

Also try parsnips, cut into chip shape, drizzle of olive oil, honey and 1/2 tea spoon of whole grain mustard. Then roast in the oven until soft.

If textures is your issue may I suggest a mix of roasted veg, chop carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin and parsnips do they're of similar shape and size, add a drizzle of oil then again roast until soft.
    Add some thyme, garlic and quartered red onions after 20 minutes, then roast for the remaining 30(depending on your oven).
    Try a few pieces of each, and you may well be suprised as to what you like, but my absolute favourite is to take all the roasted veg stick it in the blender with veg stock and whizz till smooth, mmmm!
    And I just serve with toasted pine nuts or seeds of your choice!

Experiment, share and enjoy! And if your new to cooking, may I recogmend a uk publication called easy cook, by bbc magazines

Hugs and kisses
    Mel
  • lrnpage
    lrnpage Posts: 27
    Options
    blend them into a pasta sauce
    one my my faves is 1/2 head of cauliflower, 1 can white beans (butter beans work best) 1 cup soy or skim milk
    then heat it on the stove and fold through pasta and leeks (finely shredded and fried in a little garlic and olive oil until soft)
    its so good honestly

or you can put 1/2 head of broccoli, 1 batch of asparagus spears (cut the heads off and cook them separately) with 2 tbsp cream fraiche or cream cheese (or even silken tofu would work! if you want less fat + more protien) blended, then folded through with the pasta and steamed asparagus heads :) (again cook it on the stove over a low to medium heat and stir constantly to stop it splitting if you're using dairy products in it)

honestly, you'll not regret trying these :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry is a great way to get a variety of veggies--just don't over cook them, keep them a little crunchy except for onions.