If I overeat one day, should I undereat the next?

Options
For example, if I eat 200 calories over my daily allowance tomorrow, should I try to eat 200 less over the next day or two to balance it out...or is it better to just move on, and eat my full amount of calories?

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure of the general consensus but my approach is to look for a balance over the period of a week. That way if I overeat by a large amount one day, I am not trying to make it all up the next day which is likely to lead to me overeating again. Plus I do some pretty big calorie burns with long bike rides, so I can balance them out over the same time.

good luck
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit over the longer term is what is important.. If you need to eat a little over your allowance but it helps keep you from compleltly falling off the wagon and heading for the Chinese buffet, then eat a little- just try not to do it every day.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    I ate like crap yesterday because I went to a party with lots of yummy food. It's not a problem. I just go right back to what I have been doing today and the small hit I took last night will be inconsequential. In fact, indulging once a week and going over budget is not bad at all, and in some cases even recommended because it keeps you from developing cravings long term.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I just move on. The day of extra calories won't hurt you if it's just a bit and not a frequent thing. It might even help you. :smile:
  • luvyourself
    Options
    Never undereat to make up for a previous day...just think of it as a new day. Going over once in awhile is not bad...it keeps you sane :) remember this is a lifestyle change.
  • mom1520
    mom1520 Posts: 73
    Options
    I'd just move on. When I try to do that. I always end up binging from feeling deprived, so I'd say just forget the "bad" day and have normal day the next day.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I've tried this before. It doesn't help. It can lead to a disordered relationship with food which will be much worse in the long run.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I've tried this before. It doesn't help. It can lead to a disordered relationship with food which will be much worse in the long run.

I concur. I would suggest aiming to make each day as perfect as possible and not try to compensate for anything. That way you'll get into the habit of eating right, not eating to compensate for something.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Instead of undereating, maybe burn a few extra calories the next day.