QUITTING smoking!! help!!

Options
I am quitting on Tue and I neeeed support, please!!! Any tip, i am all ears!!

Replies

• ShapingAgnes
    ShapingAgnes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh My Goodness. I was just about to post this topic when I saw yours! I am right there with you!!!!!!!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's book, The EasyWay to Quit Smoking. It's the best investment I ever made - I've been a non-smoker now for 19 days after smoking for over 30 years, and after the first few days, I've felt great. It can really change your mindset about smoking. Other practical tips - drink LOTS of ice water, and have healthy munchy snacks handy (like apples, carrots, stuff that will satisfy the urge to chew without packing in the calories). Try increasing exercise as a way to offset cravings and to reduce stress (I live for my afternoon workout now :happy: ). No matter what, know that you can do this, and it will be worth the effort.
  • LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I quit a pack a day habit exactly two years ago. There is a great support website called quitnet.com I often went to that site to get support, vent my frustration, and celebrate each moment smoke free.

Exercise really helps. If you drink alcohol, avoid it during the first few weeks of quitting.
    Get lots of sleep. You can't smoke when you're sleeping.
    Spend lots of time in no smoking areas such as public buildings, etc.
    If you slip up, pick yourself up and try again.

feel free to "friend" me if you'd like, I'd be more than happy to offer encouragement, etc.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Yay! I've been quit since July 17th 2010. (I first tried quitting Jan 7 2007 lol, took a few tries to get it). The best thing i can say is find a distraction. I'd go for a walk, go play on the swings at a near by park or just lay in bed and pout haha. DO NOT CHEAT. not even once. one puff with get you hooked again. Stay positive. I had to keep reminding myself that I WANTED TO QUIT. no one was forcing me, this was my choice. so when I'd have a nic fit i'd just say to myself "man up crackhead" and then go find a distraction. I had to give myself time outs too lol, when I felt a rage brewing I'd just go sit alone somewhere for 20 min to calm down ahaah. It gets easier after a couple of days, and then after a while you can't ever imagine smoking agian. you could try the patch or the gum too if you want. I got sick from the patch so I ended up doing it cold turkey, but I was REALLY determined to do it.

Good luck! you can do it!
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Champix or Champax.

Do it.

I am 3 years smoke free as of this month.
  • cunokyle
    cunokyle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Like stated....DO NOT CHEAT!!!!!

That is the big thing!

After the third day it gets MUCH better as well! The third day is the worst from what I hear.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Are you using a quit aid? I have been taking chantix for 1wk7d and I gradually cut down on how many per day until i finally went a full day without one. I was supposed to quit last Tuesday and wound up quitting yesterday. I would suggest every time you get a craving you get up and do something. Anything the gets your mind off of cigarettes. Good luck it can be done.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's book, The EasyWay to Quit Smoking. It's the best investment I ever made - I've been a non-smoker now for 19 days after smoking for over 30 years, and after the first few days, I've felt great. It can really change your mindset about smoking. Other practical tips - drink LOTS of ice water, and have healthy munchy snacks handy (like apples, carrots, stuff that will satisfy the urge to chew without packing in the calories). Try increasing exercise as a way to offset cravings and to reduce stress (I live for my afternoon workout now :happy: ). No matter what, know that you can do this, and it will be worth the effort.

Definitely read this book. It made me quit and understand why you can never smoke again - even a puff!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I quit a yr in February. I used the patch, really took the edge off. I went for walks on my lunch break at work. And worked out a lot at home.

Try to stay away from the things you associate with smoking...for me it was the phone/visit with friends.

I have never felt better!!!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I used the book 'stop smoking stay skinny' and nicorette gum. You have to believe 100% that you will do it. Mind over matter. Try to remove yourself from trigger situations. A gradual reduction worked for me. It's hard but if you are really ready you can do it! Good luck!
  • LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    and remember, quitting smoking is more important right now than losing weight.

The first couple of months, OK, the first 6 months!, that I quit I didn't worry too much about weight gain. Heck, I had enough to worry about.....I did start a couch to 5k running program a couple of months after I quit. Mostly as a challenge for my lungs:)
    After I got over the worst of the quitting smoking, then I focused on weight issues.

Anyone else on this thread who is trying to quit is welcome to friend me also.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Oh, one more thing. My doctor had told me the more things you use the better luck you have of quitting. I know besides the patch they have pills, gum and lounges (probably more things too).
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound REALLY stupid but I quit by simply not buying them! I paid my gas at the pump, skipped the cigarette aisle in Walmart, and stopped going out and drinking.

I used to smoke in the car so I started wearing mittens when I was driving, the feel of something binding my hands was enough for me. Now when I smell stale cigarettes I want to puke. I even slipped up a few times and the next day my lung feel like *kitten* and I feel awful.

Good luck!
  • drdump
    drdump Posts: 5
    Options
    Find something more important to you than smoking. I promised my son I would quit and that was more important to me than the smoking. I had quit many times before but this one worked.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    This one website helped me out a lot when I quit 5 years ago. www.smokershelpline.ca
    Drink lots of water! It helps flush it out of your system....and stay positive! You can do this and your body with thank you for it :) BEst of luck hun! :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    From the age of 12 to a week after my 25th I smoked. I started my 20-a-day habit when I was 15. Not proud but we all make mistakes.

November 16th, 2011 was the first day I never smoked and haven't touched one since. I was very lucky, didn't miss it nor do I crave for a cigarette. My hubby is quitting and started Jan 2nd. He has gone from 20-a-day to 3-5 a day. We are working together to get rid of those last few and he is using a Nicorette Inhalator and has Nicorette Cherry mints which he says are gross. Lol.

How about making a 'deal' with yourself? Rather than quitting on Tuesday, start by not buying any more cigarettes. Every time you want to have a cigarette think about the 'why' and how you will feel once you have had it? If you use cigarettes as a form of displacement can you use something else instead?

Sorry, but I can't offer any 'solid' advice as I found it incredibly easy to do.

Not everyone works the same so I suggest looking at your smoking habits and see if there is anything you can do to change it up a bit.

I wish you all the luck in world. X
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking last semester. Cold turkey. I quit, dealt with withdrawals for 3 days. Day # 3 is the worst. Day # 4, you are over it. I smoked for 15 yrs.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just do it. It is the best thing I ever did for myself and the hardest. But so worth it. I used hypnosis which helped a lot. I also carried around a short straw to have something to hold onto while I was getting used to being without a cig.

You can do it. It is great being a non-smoker.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years and quit six months ago. It IS possible. Best of luck to you. :)
  • peaceinside
    Options
    With ya...I'm quitting Friday. Feel free to friend me as well. I am scared but have done it in the past and know it can be done. Luck to all of us!!!
    Peace :flowerforyou: