QUITTING smoking!! help!!

Options

Replies

• ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used hypnosis which helped a lot

Me too. It does work for some people! :)
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I quit a pack a day habit exactly two years ago. There is a great support website called quitnet.com I often went to that site to get support, vent my frustration, and celebrate each moment smoke free.

Exercise really helps. If you drink alcohol, avoid it during the first few weeks of quitting.
    Get lots of sleep. You can't smoke when you're sleeping.
    Spend lots of time in no smoking areas such as public buildings, etc.
    If you slip up, pick yourself up and try again.

feel free to "friend" me if you'd like, I'd be more than happy to offer encouragement, etc.

I quit smoking cold turkey 27 months ago using the quitnet.com website. I was a VERY heavy smoker, 2 packs a day for almost 50 years. It was my success with that website that made me try MFP for weightloss. When I was quitting smoking I almost lived on that website. That, and as another person has suggested, reading the book "Easyway to Quit Smoking, were the keys to my success. It is absolutely thw BEST thing you can do for yourself! If I can ever help, or encourage you, in anyway, just let me know! :flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I quit 3 days ago :) For the 18th time (roughly) Usually what screws me is booze, but I'm pregnant, so no alcohol for me! Good luck to you, it's quite a feat. I'm sure you can do it!
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!

I quit smoking completely over a year ago now.

These are the lifestyle changes I made that helped to me quit, even made it easy! (It was probably my 10th time trying to quit)

1 - start a new fitness goal. I started the couch to 5 k program. This is the NUMBER ONE thing that helped me quit. I could not run a km before starting this program and quitting smoking. I enjoyed the first run so much that I knew if I wanted to get better, and eventually run 14km city to surf (Sydney) I would need to never smoke again. Why would I ruin all that training just to have something that is killing me! (I ran the city to surf 6 months later)

2 - quit cold turkey, do not try to cut down

3 - have a plan for everything. If you are going out, devise a plan before you go out. "What will I do if I feel like a cigarette when I'm out tonight?" The first night I went out drinking (about 2 weeks into quitting) I said to myself "every time i feel like a cigarette I'll get a glass of water" I spent the whole night outside with my smoker friends. It was amazing!

And remember, it gets easier! The first time you go out will be hard, the first time you drink will be hard, the first coffee without a smoke will suck, not having a smoke after a big meal will feel like torture....but trust me, it gets easier, easier than you think is possible!!

Don't get me wrong, I still want a cigarette every time I'm with smokers or drinking, but there is no way I would ever do it again. The saying "Will power is like a muscle, it gets stronger every time you use it" is really lame, but SO TRUE!!

Good luck, you can do it!!!!
  • yemphan
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's book, The EasyWay to Quit Smoking. It's the best investment I ever made - I've been a non-smoker now for 19 days after smoking for over 30 years, and after the first few days, I've felt great. It can really change your mindset about smoking. Other practical tips - drink LOTS of ice water, and have healthy munchy snacks handy (like apples, carrots, stuff that will satisfy the urge to chew without packing in the calories). Try increasing exercise as a way to offset cravings and to reduce stress (I live for my afternoon workout now :happy: ). No matter what, know that you can do this, and it will be worth the effort.

Read the book! I freed myself of smoking on Jan. 13th. I'm 2 weeks in and after smoking for almost 20 years I have never felt better in my life. You can do it!!!
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It has been 1 year since I gave up. I went cold turkey and once those first few days were out of the way (Nicotine withdrawal I suppose) it became easier. Just keep focused and ride the emotions out without reaching for those ciggies. You will become stronger for it, not only in mind but in body as well. Drink plenty of water, eat clean and exercise each day and your body will love you for it!!! Good Luck and all the best..You Can Do It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:
  • emmazacklover
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! The fact that you are posting for help shows you are going to be successful. It helps to be accountable. :)
    I quit a 1.5 pack/day habit 17 months ago. Here are my tips:
    1. When you have a craving get to the root of why.. is it because you are stressed? happy? sad? bored? driving? after eating? before eating? Whatever it is say "will anything be better in 7 minutes if I do have a cigarette... No. I can make it just this seven minutes"
    For me it really was a minute at a time at first.
    2. Quitnet.org. I wasn't really active on it, but they will send you updates on how you are doing and how much of your life you have saved, how much money you have saved, and how many cigarettes you have not smoked. I love getting the email and picturing the 15,000 cigarette butts I have NOT thrown on my porch, the earth, etc.
    3. Keep LOTS of ice water around. I would start my day with some water to get through the morning craving.
    4. Have a support person to call when it gets rough to talk you off of the ledge.
    5. Know that addiction is a nasty beast... you have the nico-demon in your brain that will work it's magic to convince you you NEED a cigarette... you don't. As those nicotine receptors stop getting the gratificatoin they will get quiter. I still have dreams that I'm going to die if I don't smoke or that I smoked and messed up and might as well have one more... sick!
    6. Physical exercise: the endorphins will help trick your brain right now. Plus, if you do some boxing or something you can imagine beating up a life size cigarette. :)
    7. Journal.. i know it sounds silly but I would write about what I was feeling during my worst cravings..

your family and friends will be so happy for you and proud of you... use them for motivation. I think about all of the things I can do now that I don't smoke. How I don't smell. How I'm not embarrassed. How I don't cough. Or have to make excuses to drive separately, go outside, etc.

You will do great!!!!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    *bumppppppppppppp*

would also like to quit. just dont know when that will happen, hopefully soon :]
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes over 20 years ago now. What helped me was:

First if you can't quit, cut back. Figure out what your important cigs are and only have them. For me it was the one after a meal so I'd allow myself 2 or 3 after each meal which = 9 or less a day. Way better than the pack a day I had been doing. Once you cut down then you can quit, although some people find it better to just go cold turkey.

Carry around a pack of cards or something to keep your hands busy. Thump them, fondle them, the way you would a cig pack. This helps the psychological aspect of the addiction.

When the craving gets really bad have a sugar free candy instead of a cig. Especially the sorbee type candies I found helpful that way because they leave a slight aftertaste (like a cig) and take about as long to melt in your mouth as a cig takes to smoke. Don't use sugar ones though or you may end up trading a nicotine addiction for a sugar addiction.

After 3 days most of the nicotine is out of your system, that's when the bad cravings start. If you can hold out 3 weeks or so the bad cravings start to subside. The more years you've been smoking, the longer it takes for the cravings to go away.

I remember a time that I couldn't imagine having a hot beverage without wanting a cig. Now I never even think about it.

Make sure you drink plenty of water to help flush the nicotine out of your system, they say antioxidants like vitamin C help also.
  • jennieolds442
    jennieolds442 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    buy some sugar free gum and dum dum suckers
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I quit 18 months ago. previous to that, I tried MANY times, but it was always "trying" to quit. Once I truly knew it was time to quit, it was not really too hard.

For me the important thing was knowing that my body would TELL me it wanted nicotine (sometimes VERY strongly), but I knew it was going to pass. and I also reminded myself that slipping even once would lead to more suffering later on.

it is hard, no doubt about it. but it DOES pass, and it is worth getting through.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My Mom quit by:

1) switching to her second-choice brand
    2) every week, waiting for 15 minutes after your craving starts to have a cigarette: week 1, 15 min, week 2, 30 mins, week 3, 45 mins, week 4, 60 mins.
    3) saving all the cigarette butts you smoke for a month in a mason jar with a lid. At the last cigarette, fill the jar with water. When you have cravings the next week that you can't control, smell it. After 2-3 days, it begins to turn & smell like mould too. Smelling the cigarette butts after they go mouldy will make you feel nauseated. After smelling the butts for a week or so, then you will associate craving a cigarette with making you feel sick.

It works.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    You have to believe 100% that you will do it. Mind over matter.

AGREED!!
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your kindness!!! I am so excited and a bit scared.. I have been planning this for a while. My boss gave me 4 days off and I was going to do it cold turkey, but because of health reasons, a Dr. recommended that I use a nicotine replacement. So I already got the patches. I also ordered Smoke Deter because all I heard were good things...but besides all the herbs, its 20& alcohol. And I dont drink...sooo not sure. I know at this point I just have to do it!! Thank you again for all your support!!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I am quitting on Tue and I neeeed support, please!!! Any tip, i am all ears!!

Well, first I'd calm down. I firmly believe that people get what they expect from quitting smoking. If you expect it to be hell, it will be. If you don't, it won't. I quit seven years ago after smoking 25 years. I decided it was TOO EXPENSIVE, and when I finished the pack I had I just wouldn't buy any more. And I never had another cigarette. And I never missed them.

I would prepare to gain a little weight. This seems to be unavoidable while your body adjusts to the stimulant it has had for years not being there.

Good for you doing this! This is probably the most important thing you can possibly do to improve your health!
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    I used Chantix in June of 2008, and haven't touched a cigarette since. It worked great for me.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing. My doctor had told me the more things you use the better luck you have of quitting. I know besides the patch they have pills, gum and lounges (probably more things too).

Tell me your doctor didn't recommend using multiple nicotine replacements at the same time. That is dangerous. As in--life-threatening dangerous. As in--could easily kill you. That doctor should have his license revoked.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Well, first I'd calm down. I firmly believe that people get what they expect from quitting smoking. If you expect it to be hell, it will be. If you don't, it won't. I quit seven years ago after smoking 25 years. I decided it was TOO EXPENSIVE, and when I finished the pack I had I just wouldn't buy any more. And I never had another cigarette. And I never missed them.

This is so true, and I think the essence of why Allen Carr's book works for so many people - it changes your mindset from giving something up to gaining your freedom. For the next two days, every time you light up, focus on that cigarette, and how nasty the smoke and those noxious chemicals actually taste - it's just your addicted brain that has tricked you into thinking it tastes good. After you quit, when a craving hits, think about how nasty and gross the addiction really is (love the idea about collecting the used butts in a jar of water and smelling it) and all the benefits you're gaining by quitting (make a list of the good things you feel as you notice them, like breathing better, lower heart rate, enhanced taste and smell, more endurance, etc...). Quitting really can be relatively 'easy' after those first 3 days of nic withdrawal are over.
  • discombobula
    discombobula Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm trying too. I seem to be ok as long as I have my patch on.... btw.... I can only get the darned thing to stick to my boobs under my bra.....

when patch comes off or falls off I haven't been so good. however, my husband is a smoker and I've been finding it far too easy to take one of his.

BUT still determined to quit.

GOOD LUCK!
  • prominence
    prominence Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience with quitting but in my line of work i see the after effects of it and see people that struggle and other that have conquered. Id suggest a few things that i could see working for me. when it comes time for the smoke, do something productive like a walk or workout, housework. Take up knitting ;p you MUST have to really want to quit. i suggest to ppl all the time that they should but but it has to be a personal decision and effort with moral support. when you ask yourself "why am i doing this?" look up health benefits of quitting and the negatives of having a smoke. i have seen people that cant even venerate the breath to blow outa match hardly. In any case, stick with it and best of luck!