Hunger & Sugar Cravings.. HELP!

Options
Hey fellow MFP peeps :)

I rejoined MFP a week ago to get my butt into serious shape again after I had success on here (in combo with Michelle Bridges 12WBT) a year ago.. I have 6kg (of 7) to lose which I know, isn't heaps.. but let's face it, ALL weightloss is harrrrrrd!

I have no trouble exercising but where I do have trouble, is with food! I love, love, lurrrve food!! (who doesn't right?? :P)

Sooooo, when I'm in the fitness/weightloss zone, I find myself super hungry, preoccupied with food & craving sugar, chocolate & everything naughty :)

I'm aware that this should subside with time, but given I'm only over a week in, does anyone have tips/advice to help me keep my hunger/cravings under control??

Thankyou :D

Replies

• bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    load up on as many fruits and vegetables as you can.

assess your breakfast - is it high protein? high protein breakfast will normally make you fuller for longer

are you eating lots of low quality carbs (crap, essentially)? food manufacturers deliberately manufacture this kind of food so you crave more of it.

how often are you eating? lots of small meals or just big meals?

what kind of training are you doing? lots of cardio or minimal work?

time of month can also be a factor.

happy to help if I can :)
  • aurinia
    aurinia Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes I can see hunger being a problem for me too. Been eating more than 2000 cals a day, not really watching what I'm eating - healthy mostly but far too much! Mfp has calculated I should be having 1200 a day and that's a cut of 1000 cals almost!
    So... Watching out for tips too!
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful on fruits, SO.............eat the better ones. Cut down on tropical ones as these are high in sugar and get some nuts into your diet too. I'd advise you to eat as clean as possible but really it just depends on how much you are prepared to cut the crap out like non natural products (crisps, sugared foods like chocolate, biscuits, cakes and other refined carbs).

I hope that helps!
  • ChrisMDaniels
    Options
    Hi
    Not sure if this will help or not but what about having some low fat snacks (apart from fruit) on hand all day i.e. Snack a Jacks (caramel and choc chip are great)...Have them with a hot drink
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Here's another view - have a high proitein and HIGH FAT snack to stop the sugar cravings.
    It works, and is good if you are serious about quitting sugar.
    Add me if you want to chat!
  • Simzzz
    Simzzz Posts: 8
    Options
    load up on as many fruits and vegetables as you can.

assess your breakfast - is it high protein? high protein breakfast will normally make you fuller for longer

are you eating lots of low quality carbs (crap, essentially)? food manufacturers deliberately manufacture this kind of food so you crave more of it.

how often are you eating? lots of small meals or just big meals?

what kind of training are you doing? lots of cardio or minimal work?

time of month can also be a factor.
    happy to help if I can :)

Thanks heaps for the awesome advice.. I definitely eat a lot of fruit & veg (greens are so awesome & low in cals!!) & I'm really cutting out processed, crap carbs (not even having a half-sugar in my espresso).. I'm eating 3 meals/day but I probably need to have a small snack between meals.. I find I'm the most hungry at dinner (the worst time!) as I've grown up with big family dinners :)

I exercise once or twice a day (rest on Sunday) with cardio & weights 3 times/wk.. At the moment though my aim is to lay off weights for 2wks to help the fat weightloss move along a bit faster as not too concerned with strength at the moment..

You are spot-on about high protein breakfast.. Made myself a kickass omelette this morning with tomato & asparagus and wasn't hungry until lunchtime & surprisingly under 300 calories (my goal is to lose 0.5kg/wk on 1280cal/day with 10hrs exercise/wk)

Are there any fruits/veg you would advise to eat more of over others?

And what are your views on nuts? They seem high in cals/fat for something so small & not very filling :)
  • Simzzz
    Options
    Here's another view - have a high proitein and HIGH FAT snack to stop the sugar cravings.
    It works, and is good if you are serious about quitting sugar.
    Add me if you want to chat!

Thankyou :)

What high protein/snacks do you find helpful?
  • Simzzz
    Options
    Yes I can see hunger being a problem for me too. Been eating more than 2000 cals a day, not really watching what I'm eating - healthy mostly but far too much! Mfp has calculated I should be having 1200 a day and that's a cut of 1000 cals almost!
    So... Watching out for tips too!

Ha! Sounds like me! I'm on 1280cal/day diet to lose a safe/maintainable 0.5kg/wk.. I think my bod is having withdrawals from my carefree diet I've had for the past 6mths.. Oops! :S

I guess sugar is like a drug ;)

Appreciate all tips and any advice - for sure :D
  • pinkcaz
    pinkcaz Posts: 14
    Options
    I find a creamy low fat fruit yoghurt helps my cravings and keeps me going a bit longer... Stapletons Nectarine one is to die for and its so creamy! Or I also use a white choc cereal bar which is only 88 cals and also gives that bit of sugar/choc needed lol x

Good Luck and you look great! x
  • Simzzz
    Options
    Aww thanks lovely :)

Big hugs from OZ (Australia) :D
  • g_jelly
    g_jelly Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I find high coco content (75% or more) chocolate helps when i really crave sugar; i only need one piece and don't end up eating the whole pack.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Maybe no sugar added pudding. It's only 60 cal.
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love to eat Luna protein bars after a good work out. Not only are they loaded with protein to help my muscles but they are fillings as well..
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    When I have a really bad sugar craving I usually have a teaspoon of Nutella. That usually does the trick!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    >>>> PROTEIN <<<<

Protein will help curb your hunger. I love string cheese sticks, but you can also try yogurt (esp. Greek yogurt, higher in protein), cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs, protein bars, protein shakes.

I used to be a sugar-aholic. Maybe I still am. But if I get enough protein, I can watch my kids eat candy and not steal it from them!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Suggestions not mentioned above:

1. Sleep. If you cannot get up when you're alarm goes off, you aren't getting enough sleep. Go to bed earlier until you do. If you don't get enough sleep, your cortisol levels rise and you have a more difficult time losing weight. And you may actually have more cravings... for example, sugary sweets cravings, which is your body trying to stay awake.

2. Drink water. Keep hydrated. It will keep you full longer and sometimes our bodies confuse being thirsty for being hungry.

3. Eat a variety of foods so that you have a balanced diet. Some protein with each small meal helps stave off cravings in between meals.
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    eating nuts, particularly walnuts, is good for curbing cravings.

they do have fats, but the fats actually send signals to your brain to tell it that you're satisfied! you need a serving of 70cals to do this.

also make sure you have at least x2 snacks a day between your meals and make sure your meals have adequate protein. unrefined carbs are important too... doesn't have to be with EVERY meal but try and get a couple of serves in a day (particularly through vegetables).
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Here's the reality; it's a wall you just have to punch through.
    There are no easy answers.
    Yea, I drank water, ate celery, stuffed myself with grapes, apples and other fruits until I had flying diarrhea.
    And the cravings remained.
    I won that battle on 3 fronts.

1. I used the pain/pleasure principle to motivate myself to think twice before caving in.
    Intense pain is attached to eating bad foods I know make me fat - FAT = PAIN!
    2. I gave myself a "free day" or as I prefer "Re-Feed Spiking" - sounds more scientific
    I know I am never more than a few days away from eating what I desire, so I resist
    3. TIME!
    In time things just got better, and the cravings diminished.

Maybe this helps?
    Good Luck!
  • Simzzz
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice peeps.. Most appreciated :)