Insane people taking it too far!

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/29/exercise-in-all-night-gym

NOTHING could persuade me that going to the gym at 4 am was a good idea.

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard hours. On my days off of work I'll be hitting the gym, if I'm not going outside to jog, @ 2-3am. I don't think it's insane or crazy. It's just what works for me.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your life.. People think I'm insane.. I'm not.. I'm just gettin' it done the only way I can.. No excuses. There have been times that I've had to get up at 4 to get my run in, no way 'round it. If I wanted to wallow in self pity and stay out of shape and unhealthy, I'd have the perfect excuses and no one would blame me for not hanging in there.. but instead, I choose to make excuses TO work out.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    What about 5:30 am? Is that better?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can see the value for shiftworkers. When I used to waitress, I'd come off my shift so hyped, I couldn't sleep for hours. So I'd come off shift at midnight / 1am and only sleep by about 3 or 4. Why not spend that time doing something productive... :-)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Early morning exercise is great for those who hate interruptions or being inhibited by crowds of annoying Sheeple.
    I keep my own hours, and the older I get, the more I value being away from the thundering herd.
    I love being on a schedule that's a few hours ahead of everybody else.

Why flow with the masses?
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I know someone that works a very early start of 5am, if he wakes a bit too early (but too late to bother going back to sleep) he'll go and get a round of golf in (if its light enough) 4am golf sounds insane to me but he gets 2-3 rounds in like this a week in the summer...theres a helluva good burn with a full round of golf.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I was going to a 24 hour gym, I loved going super early. It was quietest. I could get the machines I wanted, and the "time limits" were nonexistent.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I've gone to the gym at 4am and such. I get off of work between 2am and 4am normally, sometimes I feel like hitting the gym before I go home to sleep. I typically don't get to sleep until between 6-8am daily.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I LOVE going to the gym at weird times

Insane is just a word the weak call the dedicated
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Live and let live. If someone is working out - who cares what time they choose...
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Like everyone else said, no waiting on machines or worrying about time. No distractions and no weirdos trying to tell you how to do whatever.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I think it's great and makes availability for people who work all shifts... Kudos to the owners! :drinker:
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    People have different schedules and I'm glad there are gyms that offer those hours. The one I used to belong to is actually open 24 hours Mon-Friday. I start work at 7:30 and I much rather get everything done beforehand :)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt call it insane. It just works with peoples schedules.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I would never critisize people going to gym, no matter what time of day or night they choose to go!!! I think it's great they can and are doing it! I personally would rather go at an ungodly hour than not at all! I'm lucky enough to be free to choose my time's during the day, and trust me, I never choose to go in peak times! So annoying!
  • sblower
    sblower Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just remember sleep is as important for health as exercise and diet. Exercising at 4am is fine if you've had your 7 or 8 hours sleep each night.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The title of this topic is wrong. How are they taking it too far? If there was a 24 hour gym near me I would be there at 2am, 1. because I have a messed up sleep pattern and 2. because there would be less people taking up the equipment. This does not mean I would spend all night there, just the normal amount of time to get a decent calorie burn. That may make me more dedicated to reaching my goals but it would not make me insane or mean I was taking things too far. Maybe you need to choose your words carefully before you post? :ohwell:
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think a 24/7 gym is actually quite nice for shiftworkers
    When I had my last night shift a week ago, I decided to go to the pool afterwards at about 6.30 am and I thought it would be not so crowded at that time right? NO- they had been about 12 to 16 people - on an 8 lane pool that makes 2 people per lane at 6.30 am

I think if you don't have any other time you just grab what you can get
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The title of this topic is wrong. How are they taking it too far? If there was a 24 hour gym near me I would be there at 2am, 1. because I have a messed up sleep pattern and 2. because there would be less people taking up the equipment. This does not mean I would spend all night there, just the normal amount of time to get a decent calorie burn. That may make me more dedicated to reaching my goals but it would not make me insane or mean I was taking things too far. Maybe you need to choose your words carefully before you post? :ohwell:

I don't think the title is wrong. The article mentions people working out 5-10 hours A DAY. That is crazy.
  • hagamivida
    Options
    I work graveyard hours. On my days off of work I'll be hitting the gym, if I'm not going outside to jog, @ 2-3am. I don't think it's insane or crazy. It's just what works for me.

This exactly. And I do like running when it's dark outside because fewer people will see how slow I am.