ladies-staying a step ahead of pms bloat tips?

Options
sorry guys, unless you've got firsthand experience with this one, i think many of the ladies here will know what i'm talking about...

every month for nearly two weeks before my friendly visitor arrives, i'm prone to insane bloat and horrid constipation, no matter what i try. the tiniest bit of salt puffs me up, even high fiber foods don't keep everything moving, and i feel like a stale marshmallow until the magical day arrives. i'm sure i'm not alone in this, but does anyone have any combative insight to avoiding this? i cut down on the sodium and sugar as best i can, though this is the week i'm subject to sugary cravings, and i try to keep the h20 flowing. i'd love to hear how others cope... thanks!

Replies

• PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    tons of water and exercise. Exercise is the only thing that makes me feel better, even when I REALLY don't want to do it.
    I just started taking probiotics after a recommendation from my nutritionist...they don't seem to be helping yet, but I think they take a little while.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Keeping my carbs as low as possible & bulking up on protein seems to help, as it makes you go more often, thus eliminating the water weight.
  • erinrose07
    Options
    Oh my God! I'm so relieved to know that someone else has to experience the PMS for TWO weeks. It's awful. I feel like I'm only human 1 week out of the month. And the rest, I am either morphing into the fly or on my period. I still haven't found what works so I'll be interested to read on!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    yes, two whole weeks, it's awful. i'm generally low-carb altogether, but where does non-instant oatmeal fall on the carb spectrum? i take a pro-biotic every day, and i eat nothing with bleached flower, generally avoid gluten, and have whole grains maybe twice a week, like quinoa. are beans and lentils carbs? i find too much protein blocks me up. if all i'm getting is eggs, fish, tofu, and yogurt, i'll be backed up badly. this is turning into the tmi thread pretty quick.

i generally do an hour or so of cardio a day, aiming to burn 500 cals or more and get a good sweat on. i try to lift weights 3-4x a week but sometimes pms knocks me out so badly i'm just beat after the cardio sesh. the energy burst i get once my period comes is an insane difference. i wonder if this is hormones, but since i've lost weight it's much more prominent.
  • Dorianlg
    Dorianlg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lots of water is important but unless you have aversion to meds, lots of Ibuprofen is also a good call. Ibuprofen specifically, not acetaminophen. It helps with swelling, not just pain. Oatmeal is a carb but it's supposed to be gluten free, and all the fiber should be good on your body. You might also try oat bran, with even more fiber and even less to digest, instead.
    Do you like coffee? How much do you drink? Have you thought about drinking more? It IS helpful with more than one of your concerns, and is also delicious.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    thanks, dorian! i drink about 3 cups of coffee a day, well, more than 3 measured cups, probably closer to 5 or 6 in the mornings, but i'd never thought of ibprofen! i'll give oatbran a try. i love scottish cut oatmeal and eat it every day. i just find nothing is helping to keep everything moving along during pms. it's like my whole gi tract acts like a stopper. bah.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I take a diruetic to help with the bloating. I hold water like sponge bob...

Today I feel like my belly is distended out.
  • deeva2266
    deeva2266 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Restorative yoga works for me. infact yoga has helped me on my healthy weight loss journey as well. I highly recommend it. Look up the restorative version and you just may find a pose or two you will enjoy doing.
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    To stay regular during PMS, try this recipe: To 2 quarts of water, add 1 thinly sliced lemon, 1 medium (or half of a long) thinly sliced cucumber (peel it first), and a 1" piece of ginger, peeled and grated. Let that water concoction sit for overnight, then drink a few glasses of it per day.

I am totally regular EXCEPT during PMS, and I hate it. This water recipe really helped me. I actually drink it when I'm not dealing with PMS/period, too, because it tastes good.

The first time you try it, you won't notice anything for about a day. If you drink it regularly, you will be very, very regular. It won't necessarily help with the additional PMS bloating, but it'll keep everything moving through your system.