too many calories to eat back.. HELP!

Options
There are sooo many posts about eating back calories, is it good or not.. I think a happy medium should work.. but I am finding it hard to eat back ALL my calories as I walk to and from work so burn quite a few and I dont want to give that up, but im finding it hard to eat back all my calories as i dont want to force food down if im not hungry!

Any tips for quick healthy calories?

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat back my calories - I only do it when I am hungry!

Isn't detrimental to me (yet) :-D
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Eat back your calories = maintain lean muscle mass and lose weight at a steady healthy pace

Don't eat back exercise calories = lose lean muscle mass and become skinny fat

Hard decisions!
  • TiffaniBarrett
    Options
    I'm not skinny fat by not eating back my calories. My body looks toned and has definition.

So I dont think that is strictly true xx
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I noticed in last couple of days when i started not eating exercise calories my scale started moving. My trainer just wants me to eat around the 1200 calories. She has me on 5-6 days a week working out. Everyone's bodies are different and will react in different ways. I think my years of yo-yo dieting has screwed up my metabolism and I think eating my exercise calories is too much for my body. I have been experimenting and trying eating calories and not eating calories. I feel great and am losing again. Everyone will say to eat exercise calories, but I think everyone's bodies are different and will react differently.
  • jellymuffin
    Options
    I don't eat my calories back and exercise 3 times a week x
  • Kamila33
    Options
    Well in order to lose weight each week you need to burn a certain amount of calories; yet to lose weight safely and in a healthy manner you do need to eat a certain amount of calories a day. I started something my nutritionist told me to and that was structured eating. You eat planned meals (I didn't think I would have time, but I think the meals out the day prior) every three to four hours. Your metabolism gets going (which you want for your ultimate weightloss), but you also nourish your body with what it needs. Remember, you can eat while walking to and from work, it's not a bad idea. Try a power bar or even a smoothie of some sort. :smile:
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have my daily calories set to 1200 and usually 'earn' about 300 in exercise calories.

I eat probably about half my calories back (unless i am really hungry - then i will eat more)

I tend to find thats about the right balance (sometimes i will have a hot chocolate drink at bed time if i have the calories left)

I think the crux of the matter is....we are all different and when you loose weight regularly, a pound or 2 a week, then stick to what you are doing until you plateau and then look at changing again - if you loose to quickly then increase caloires or decrease exercise - just keep tweaking until you find what works for you (but always give a new regime a week to kick in and produce measurable results)

Diane
  • TiffaniBarrett
    Options
    trhops - In a few days, the loss may just be from you not eating the food that you used to (stopping eating the exercise calories) but I hope that this does keep going for you! Keep me updated on the progress!

I make sure that I do at least 3 x 1hr weight workouts a week - along with 3 or 4 cardio classes. It has definitely made a difference to my body - I have definition in my arms, legs, shoulders and back where I never used to! My stomach is slowly coming along - but being quite stubborn! Dammit! I'll keep at it and I know I will see a difference soon! With regards to weight lifting - make sure you girls are lifting heavy. Lifting light weights will help you a little, but lifting heavy will do a MUCH better job of building muscle and showing that definition :-)

Tiffani x
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    Try adding nuts such as almonds, brazil nuts, macadamias, hazelnuts, and walnuts. Also, organic dried fruit. I started Zumba class, and I'm burning so many calories that I'm keeping these items handy for snacking on after class. I can't eat a heavy meal after class, but these are easy to eat.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Beware of overestimating your exercise calories, as well. I would hate to try to eat back calories that I didn't actually burn...
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    There are sooo many posts about eating back calories, is it good or not.. I think a happy medium should work.. but I am finding it hard to eat back ALL my calories as I walk to and from work so burn quite a few and I dont want to give that up, but im finding it hard to eat back all my calories as i dont want to force food down if im not hungry!

Any tips for quick healthy calories?

How do you calculate your calorie burn - HRM or MFP's generic setting? If you are using MFP's generic listing for a walk, chances are you are not burning what it says you are.

I would recommend opening your diary if you want advice so that people can look to see what is going on with your diet.
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yup, go for the nuts. Healthy and adds on calories very quickly. Also, after a hard workout, it is important to get some carbs and protein right away. I eat banana chocolate protein shakes often. Love them. But, just try to get a healthy carb and protein even if it is only a short time before bed.

I would also agree with cautioning on overestimating your exercise unless you have a heart rate monitor.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of my exercise calories because my body needs the fuel after the hard workouts I put it through. After workouts I enjoy a glass of oganic low fat skim milk with a vanilla protein powder added and it feels awesome. I keep protein bars at my desk and I munch on nuts and string cheese at my snack times. Fruit too - especially in the morning. I plan what my workout is going to be like at the beginning of every day (which is easy because I'm doing C25K and I lift weights the same days each week - tuesday, thursday and saturday).

Before I used MFP I just ate a blanket 2200-2300 calories a day based on my weight and activity level and lost between 1.5-2 lbs a week. Then when I started MFP, the program worked in my deficit and now has me eating 1630 a day. When I work out, I tend to burn between 400-600 calories, so if I eat them back I'm eating between 2000-2200 calories and I'm averaging 1.8-2lbs a week loss. If I did not eat them back I'd only be giving my body between 1000-1200 calories a day - WAY too little for a girl my size trying to build muscle.

I should also note that most of the time I use a heart rate monitor to get an accurate reading of my calories burned which is usually less than the listed calories burned for exercises on MFP. I don't know why that is, but I err on the side of caution and go with the lower number. Someone smarter than me probably knows the answer this!

I think the way MFP works and the whole "eat your exercise calories" throws people off because it sounds wrong. If you remove MFP from the equation and just do a calculation for how many calories your body type and average activity level require or what your nutritionist recommends, it'll be very close to what your MFP calories + exercise calories actually ends up being.

Everyone is different, but it is also important to consider that not fueling your workouts properly can lead to muscle loss instead of fat loss, but will come out on the scale looking the same.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I dont eat my exercise calories and my scale is moving just fine.