Quinoa

Options
jrich1
jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
Recipes? - We bought some at the store because I heard about it, but I dont know what to do with it..

I dont have a tiny strainer, so maybe something I can just cook it in...

Replies

• katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Same here: I wanted to try it. I am making this recipe tonight.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mediterranean-quinoa-salad/detail.aspx
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You will need a strainer, it must be rinsed.

Recipes?

I love this:

http://www.dadamo.com/typebase4/recipedepictor7x.cgi?1155
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Take it back, you can thank me later.

Unless, of course, you enjoy the taste of dirt.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You have to get a tiny strainer, it has to be rinsed before you cook it.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I've never rinsed it, and it's been fine.

Cook it in broth rather than water.

Add lemon juice, olive oil, walnuts, sundried tomatoes and peas or edamame. Delicious.
  • DEIDRE345
    Options
    I never rinse mine...I eat it for breakfast instead of oatmeal or a cereal..I add skim milk. almonds etc.
    I also eat if for dinner as my carb instead of brown rice, whole grain pasta etc.
    You can add it to soups , stews, etc
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You can cook up a big batch and put it in single serve containers in the fridge, and for a quick breakfast heat one up, add a little milk, fruit, honey, nuts whatever, and you have a quick good for you start to your day :D
  • DEIDRE345
    Options
    You can cook up a big batch and put it in single serve containers in the fridge, and for a quick breakfast heat one up, add a little milk, fruit, honey, nuts whatever, and you have a quick good for you start to your day :D

I cook the whole bag/ box and cook it all...same as other poster and put it in small bags..you can freeze it too
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We cook ours in a rice cooker and it comes out great.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Love Quinoa AND its a super food!
  • jrich1
    Options
    Quinoa This mighty grain packs 8 g of protein per cup, including a complete set of branched chain amino acids—leucine, isoleucine, and valine—that play a crucial role in helping muscles grow. With each cup you’ll also get 39 g of carbohydrates—not always a bad thing. The body’s number one need is energy, which carbs supply, says Kleiner. “You must meet your energy need before you go out and build muscle. If you’re cutting carbs to lose body fat, you’re missing something important,” she says. “I see a lot of people who underfuel this way.”
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I use it for anything that I might use rice for. I put steamed veggies over it, chili over it, any type of stir fry goes great over it! I do agree that using broth or some other flavor inducing liquid to cook it in, but watch your sodium and extra calories of what you are adding to it.
  • Meghan_odonnell01
    Options
    You can purchase quinoa that doesn't need to be rinsed. I get a large bag at costco for 10$. I use it in anything I would put rice in. Tonight I am having meatloaf with Quinoa instead of bread crumbs. I also made chilli this weekend with it in it.
  • ashmitatua
    ashmitatua Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is good, is a great source of protein, be careful though it has a lot of carbs too. Here is a recipe that you might enjoy

Beef, Potato and Quinoa Soup

Servings: 4 • Size: 1-1/2 cups • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 307.9 • Fat: 13.8 g • Protein: 15.7 g • Carb: 31.3 g • Fiber: 4.6 g

2 tsp olive oil
    6-7 scallions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tomato, diced
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp Badia Sazon with Annato
    1/2 lb beef, cubed into small bite size pieces (I used beef tenderloin)
    5 cups water
    beef bullion
    1 carrot, peeled and sliced
    2 tbsp yellow bell pepper, diced
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 cup cooked quinoa
    6 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute oil in a large pot, add scallions and garlic and sauté until soft over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add tomato, cumin, sazon with achiote, 1/4 cup cilantro and cook another 2 minutes. Add beef, water, bullion, carrot, bell pepper, salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low about 1-1/2 hours, until meat is tender.
    Add potato and cooked quinoa and cook an additional 25 minutes. Add remaining chopped cilantro and serve
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Quinoa!

I make it simply by cooking it with chicken broth (instead of water) and throwing in a handful of chopped cilantro and green onion while it's finishing up. It's AMAZING what a bit of that can do. :)
  • jrich1
    Options
    I LOVE Quinoa!

I make it simply by cooking it with chicken broth (instead of water) and throwing in a handful of chopped cilantro and green onion while it's finishing up. It's AMAZING what a bit of that can do. :)

This sounds good.. simple and easy.. I got some from the bin machines at Market Street, dont know if it needs rinsed or not.. if I dont have a strainer I am sure I can figure something out.
  • jrich1
    Options
    Quinoa is good, is a great source of protein, be careful though it has a lot of carbs too. Here is a recipe that you might enjoy

Servings: 4 • Size: 1-1/2 cups • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 307.9 • Fat: 13.8 g • Protein: 15.7 g • Carb: 31.3 g • Fiber: 4.6 g

2 tsp olive oil
    6-7 scallions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tomato, diced
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp Badia Sazon with Annato
    1/2 lb beef, cubed into small bite size pieces (I used beef tenderloin)
    5 cups water
    beef bullion
    1 carrot, peeled and sliced
    2 tbsp yellow bell pepper, diced
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 cup cooked quinoa
    6 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute oil in a large pot, add scallions and garlic and sauté until soft over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add tomato, cumin, sazon with achiote, 1/4 cup cilantro and cook another 2 minutes. Add beef, water, bullion, carrot, bell pepper, salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low about 1-1/2 hours, until meat is tender.
    Add potato and cooked quinoa and cook an additional 25 minutes. Add remaining chopped cilantro and serve

I dont limit carbs.. they are energy
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You can rinse it in a large bowl, just be careful. It MUST be rinsed. Then just cook it an eat it like rice. Or you can make a fried rice type dish out of it, with onions, garlic, etc. in it.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who rinse-- how do you do it? When I use a fine mesh strainer a lot of it escapes. If I line the strainer with a cheesecloth it gets stuck to the cloth and is hard to get off.