Quinoa

Options

Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa. Sometimes I use it instead of rice. Its also delicious in salads.

I also eat it for breakfast in place of oatmeal (sometimes I mix the two together). Some of the things I add are bananas, blueberries and almonds; pumpkin puree, cinnamon, brown sugar (or honey) and chia seeds; diced apples, cinnamon, chia seeds, brown sugar (or honey)

In hearty dishes I cook it in water or broth; in breakfast dishes, I add cinnamon and vanilla to the water.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This made me brave enough to try it. Literally running out to grab a bag and cook up the whole thing tonight when I get home. Can't wait!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For most recipes that call for rice, you can substitute quinoa. The texture is a little different but it still works well in most dishes. My husband loves the red quinoa best. He likes it cooked in low sodium chicken stock with a lot of Mrs. Dash garlic & herb added.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    bump for later
  • orangesumr
    orangesumr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Quinoa!!!! if you just go to allrecipes.com you can find a ton of recipes with Quinoa. But, I have one i know by heart. In fact I just had this for breakfast!

1 cup soaked quinoa
    3 Tbsp brown sugar
    pinch of cinnamon (or to taste)
    2 cups water
    2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
    1 tbsp, butter, divided
    1/4 cup milk

soak quinoa for 5 minutes. In Large skillet spray pan with cooking spray over medium high heat. Once hot, add the peeled and choped apples and place skillet with 1/2 tbsp of butter. Let carmelize. Once carmelized turn the burner to low. Drain the quinoa and place in a sauce pan with 2 cups water. Boil for 1 minute on high. Then turn down to medium-high and cover the pan and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the quinoa has a tail (this means it's done). Drain. Fluff with fork. Add cinnamon, 1/2 tbsp of butter, brown sugar and 1/4 cup milk and mix. then fold in the apples.

I believe it is 313 calories for 2/3 cup serving. I can't remember the exact calories... And it makes 6 servings

You can also make it with a pudding so it's like rice pudding but you use quinoa, also as a stir fry. There are sooOOO many ways to use it. I'm excited that you want to try this. It's wonderful!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa. Sometimes I use it instead of rice. Its also delicious in salads.

I also eat it for breakfast in place of oatmeal (sometimes I mix the two together). Some of the things I add are bananas, blueberries and almonds; pumpkin puree, cinnamon, brown sugar (or honey) and chia seeds; diced apples, cinnamon, chia seeds, brown sugar (or honey)

In hearty dishes I cook it in water or broth; in breakfast dishes, I add cinnamon and vanilla to the water.

We have never really eaten rice...
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who rinse-- how do you do it? When I use a fine mesh strainer a lot of it escapes. If I line the strainer with a cheesecloth it gets stuck to the cloth and is hard to get off.

I rinse it through a fine mesh sieve over another fine mesh sieve to catch the little ones that fall through. Very few fall through both sieves.
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had some the other day... just cooked it up in water, then mixed in some stir fried peppers, mushrooms and red onions. Added some black pepper and chili flakes to give it a bit of a kick. It was lovely.

Definitely rinse it first though. I've finally got a seive with a fine enough mesh that the quinoa doesn't fall straight through the holes!

Great stuff if you're a veggie too, lots of protein!
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can line your strainers with paper towels or coffee filters. You shouldn't have any issues removing them from those items.
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump....i am gonna ask my mom to buy me some quinoa for lunch tomorrow!!!!
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who rinse-- how do you do it? When I use a fine mesh strainer a lot of it escapes. If I line the strainer with a cheesecloth it gets stuck to the cloth and is hard to get off.

I rinse it through a fine mesh sieve over another fine mesh sieve to catch the little ones that fall through. Very few fall through both sieves.

I use a very fine mesh seive over a large pot of water. Fill the pot right up, dunk the seive in so it covers the grains and work through it with my hands. Change the water, repeat until it's not giving off any more starch.

EDIT: Also, I have found a nylon seive to be much better at not letting the quinoa fall out than metal ones!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Avocado, Shrimp and Grapefruit Quinoa Salad.
    Pear, Raisins and Cinnamon Quinoa Salad
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great ideas everyone. I have a bag of this stuff in my cabinet but wasn't quite brave enough to try it yet.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I don't have a strainer, I rinse, then place a papertowel over the edge of the bowl and use it as a strainer, it sticks a little, but I just brush it off.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You can line your strainers with paper towels or coffee filters. You shouldn't have any issues removing them from those items.

Great idea.. I have a ton of coffee filters...
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One of the bloggers I follow bakes hers to toast them.. and uses that as a crunchy topping for her oatmeal, yogurt, etc.

http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/toasted-quinoa
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I buy the TruRoots pre-rinsed brand from Whole Foods: http://www.truroots.com/p.aspx?Cont=Products&id=9

Cooked per directions in chicken broth. I sauteed some onions and garlic, and a can of chopped tomatoes. Dumped the cooked quinoa in, added some cumin and oregano. BAM. Delicious.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Oh thanks! I've stopped using coffee filters and paper towels so I never considered them.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have a box of quinoa that I have been wondering what to do with, too. Thanks for all the great suggestions!