Tell me about your first half marathon

Options
How long did you train for? What was your longest run? How much did it hurt?

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    When i did my first half i trained hard for 6mths. It was my longest run yes, and how bad did it hurt? Well my body didn't hurt so bad as my feet! My shoes were not big enough and i lost all of my toe nails =(
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Trained for about 4 months (had a strong runnning base before I started).

Yes, it was my longest run by 3.1 miles.

Hurt like hell after mile 10. I had no legs left because I tried to run the whole thing. Switched to the Galloway method and my second one was relatively painless.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I trained for something like 12 weeks, I didn't have a strong running base either. I really didn't do as much running as I should have. I missed my second 16k run, my second 18k run and didn't do my 20k before. The last 5k were really hard. Plus, I trained in the winter and the race was in May. The day ended up being really warm and I struggled with the heat. I still enjoyed it though. It hurt, but it was totally my fault.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half a few weeks ago after running a full in Nov. During the six weeks between the full and half I averaged 73 miles per week and ran a bunch of 11 mile runs and five 14 mile runs.

Before the full I trained for eight months with one month off in the middle for a broken foot.

The race was hard and uncomfortable but it didn't really hurt. I came in 25th out of 333 and third in my age group.
  • oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I trained for about 4 months or so...my longest run was just over 10 miles....

I was sore as heck when I was done, but it was the best feeling in the world at the same time :-) I like Hal Higdon's novice training plan...I followed that pretty closely for my first.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Mine was the Urban Cow, in October 2010. I trained for exactly 2 months, having not run previously (except in high school gym class). I had been walking a lot, about 3-5 miles a day, 5 days a week, so I had built up some good endurance/muscle prior to them.

Of course I was sore after the race, but it really isn't that bad. You just need to stick with a training program (there are tons online or you can join a local running store group) and don't miss your runs. Keep building up your mileage. It's definitely worth it to see yourself cross the finish line. :)

EDIT: Oh and my longest run was about 11.5 miles prior to the race.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I used Higdon's novice program, so how ever long that is, is how long I trained. I had decent base, nothing crazy coming in. I went up to 11 miles as my farthest run prior to racing. There was a lot of snow that winter so I missed more runs than I'd have liked. I pulled my calf miuscle just a few days before the race, but fortunately was able to get it warmed & loosened up enough to run. The race was run in a total downpour starting at mile 2. While I wasn't in the most comfortable of conditions when I finished, I wouldn't say it hurt at all. Until later that evening and for the next week or so, my calf bothered me a lot.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I had been running regularly for a few years before deciding to do my first 1/2 marathon .... the inaugural Bellingham Bay Half Marathon in October 2007. I don't remember following any particular training plan ... I would guess we trained for 4 or 5 months? My longest training run was 12 miles.

It felt pretty hard at the time, the weather was kinda gnarly (50 mph winds), and I was really sore for about 5 days afterwards - mostly my quads.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I ran my first official half mary in October of 2011, and did a 20k (so 12.whatever miles) in June of 2011 (and other distance races in previous years). I was not properly trained for the 20k - I somehow finished, in 2 hours and 40 minutes. Eeeeks! Lots of walk and potty breaks, was sore and had an upset stomach the rest of the day.

About three months before the Half, I really revamped my training. I started eating better and incorporated strength training and biking into my workouts. I ran it in 2 hours and 9 minutes, and didn't take a walk break until mile 7 when I re-fueled. It was amazing.

For training, I was running 5-6 miles on MWF, and on Saturday's I'd run anywhere from 7-10 miles. I did at least three 10 milers (1 per month) leading up to the half. I think those "practice" 10 milers really helped me. I really wasn't sore the rest of the day, spent most of the evening dancing at a wedding, actually.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I have registered for a half in about 2 weeks time and I am unsure if I will be ready or what to expect, so your responses have helped me so much!!

Edited to add that all of you are so awesome, you have all made some fantastic accomplishments!!
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I did my first half in November of 2006 (Fall Classic Half Marathon) after training for 3 months.

My longest run before the race was 20km so it wasn't much of a stretch to get to 21.1.

Weather was wet, cold and icky (November in Vancouver, go figure), with heavy winds. I had an excellent race and still think back to that half fondly. It took me 3.5 years to beat the time I set down in that half marathon :)

2 weeks isn't much of a training time, hope you have a solid base in you!

Have a great race, please post a race report somewhere when you are done to let us all know how you did.

S
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a few months. I ran a 10k race on the weekend, my longest run so far is 8 miles. Hopefully I can make it!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    My first half I used Hal Higdon's plan. I was actually about 4 weeks behind schedule due to ITBS. I skipped ahead on the plan here and there and ended up with my longest run being 10 miles.

The race itself was amazing. I got to meet one of my closest MFP friends and we had the chance to hang out all weekend and make some great memories.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I trained for 5 weeks. My longest run was 12 miles. I under-performed, not surprisingly. I came close to cramping up towards the last couple miles of the race. I was so sore I could barely walk that evening.
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This has been helpful for me because I'm also training for my first half marathon. This was an awesome post! Thank you for posting! My half marathon is on march 11. I'm actually signing up tomorrow. Half Marathon at Petco Park - San Diego.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My 1st half is Feb 25th. I am nervous and excited. Thank you for posting this. My longest run so far is 17km. I have a strong running base. Im using the Runnersworld plan. Its a 12week plan. All the best for your 1st half.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also used Higdon's novice program for my first 1/2 marathon. I ran the Women's Half Marathon in November 2011. I started running (using the C25K program) in January 2011 and was not a runner previously. I ran my second half in December 2011 in Las Vegas (the Strip at Night).

I was very sore immediately after I stopped running for my first 1/2. I scheduled a massage later that same day which helped tremendously. I felt great knowing I finished though I really want to be able to run the whole 13.1 miles.

My longest run prior to the 1/2 was 10 miles. I am still using the Hal Higdon's program to train for my first marathon in October 2012. :smile:
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I got a late start on my training. I only trianed for about 2 months, and in those months I didn't get as much running in as I would have liked. My longest run ended up being just over 8 miles. I did it a couple times and I kept getting dehydrated and just felt miserable. I couldn't figure out what was going on, and it was only a couple days til the race. I never thought I'd be able to do it since I could barely make it through an 8 mile run. Then I talked to a MFP friend who is more experienced and found out that I wasn't fueling properly. I got some gel packs for race day, and a power drink from GNC that helps with hydration. I felt wonderful during my run. Never got dehydrated and never started feeling like I was running out of energy. The packs helped so much. I was shooting for a time of 3:15, but expected more like 3:30. I ended up finishing in 2:57!!!!
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half Oct 2011 . . . I used a 16 week training plan (can't remember where I got it from); my longest run during training was 19 km's, and I felt well prepared. I completed in 2 hours, 8 minutes. I was 11 months post-partum, and it was such an emotional experience! Good for you for setting such an amazing goal for yourself!
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This IS helpful, I'm scheduled fot my first half marathon this April. I've been following Hal Higdon's 10k training to build distance and my first 10k is this saturday. I've also registered for a 15k two weeks before my half. My longest run so far has been 7 miles.