Strength Training Recs w/Knee issues

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in doing more strength training/muscle building, but I have knee issues (patella alta with a lateral patellar tilt) and have to be careful/limit movement.

For example, no squats or jumping. I'm wondering if any of you have done any of the P90X, Jillian Michaels, stuff like that - how was it on your knees? Or, if you had to modify it, did you still get some benefit?

Do you have any recommendations for programs that are easy on knees, or maybe just focus on upper body?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    bump
  • Hm, that patella alta is a bit concerning. Has this been diagnosed specifically?

EDIT: Also, do you have any therapies prescribed? Water mobility exercises, hip strengthening?
  • vegansara
    Yes, after PT and meeting with a physiatrist we finally did an MRI and got the diagnosis of patella alta and lateral patellar tilt. I did PT for a long time but the exercises were very similar to moves I was already doing in yoga - focusing a lot on hip strengthening and quadriceps building.
  • Yes, after PT and meeting with a physiatrist we finally did an MRI and got the diagnosis of patella alta and lateral patellar tilt. I did PT for a long time but the exercises were very similar to moves I was already doing in yoga - focusing a lot on hip strengthening and quadriceps building.

In that case, you may want to watch out for P90X. Only because there is an entire section dedicated to jumping. The section "Plyometrics" makes up a core part of the program. Tons of air squats, step-ups, etc. that may agitate the fit of your knee and give you some anterior patellar pain.

Yoga seems like a good match but as far as high intensity, you'll have to modify the programs. Have you tried free-weight lifting with inclines? Like weight lifting at an assisted angle? (*disclaimer to always ask your doctor as I am not your doctor)
  • vegansara
    Thank you Qrxn! I have heard that about the plyometrics.