Beginner Runner

Options
I've been doing Zumba 2 for Wii for the past few weeks, but I don't feel like I'm getting a good workout. I only break a slight sweat during a 45 minute class, although according to the Wii, I'm burning 500+ calories, which doesn't seem accurate. I want to push myself, and I feel like I should do more, but I get bored with Zumba after 45 minutes, so a longer class isn't going to work.

This weekend, I decided to try running. I ran a little over a mile Saturday, and again Sunday, walking only when necessary. What a difference! I feel better about my workout when I'm hot, sweaty, and out of breath afterward. :)

Anyway, I want to start running regularly, but I've never done it before. My muscles are sore today, but I'm not having trouble walking or anything. I'm not sure if I should take break days, or keep running/walking a mile or so each day until I feel like I can go longer. I'm only out there for about 15 minutes or so. I don't want to overdo it, but at the same time, I want to push myself. If I do take a break day, what should I do? I don't want to skip exercising altogether.

Any advice?

I also don't know if I'm breathing correctly, or if I've got good form, but I'm doing what comes naturally!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I just started running, too. I run MWF, then depending how I'm feeling the other days I'll either do the elliptical, treadclimber, or some kind of circuit or strength training. I'm only running every other day because I just started and I want to take it slow & easy rather than pushing too hard and hurting myself. I want to eventually do a 5K race. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner too, and have really never liked running, but I want to! It's great cardio and something you can do almost anywhere, gives a great calorie burn - I WANT to like it! :tongue: So this week I'm going to start the Couch-to-5k running plan as lots of people have said it's a great way to ease into running without overdoing it. There are lots of phone apps & website programs, but I guess this is the original: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

They all seem to have similar plans - 5 min brisk walk, then intervals of jogging & walking, increasing the jogging each week until you're running the 3 miles without stopping (or dying!). All the plans I've looked at say to do it every other day, 3 days a week. So I plan to do it Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday, and my other workout DVDs at home M,W,F, Sundays off.
  • Cylindad
    Options
    I was a beginner runner about a year and a half ago and as my schedule allowed I did as much running as I could and not pushing too hard, because when you are hurt, you go back to square one.
    It helps to find a running group in your area and create a goal for yourself, like running a 5K.

I joined a group of first time women marathon runners (Yes, Marathon!) I set my first race goal very high, but it was free and the group I joined paid for the Marathon entry. (www.twentysixtwo.com)
    I took it VERY slow in training and while I was always the last to finish on our long runs, the ultimate goal of finishing the race stayed in my mind and kept me going.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The best way to begin running is by following a structured plan (couch to 5k is a good one) or joining a running group. The most important thing is to TAKE IT SLOW. A lot of people start out gung ho, do more than they should, and then get injured. Even if a plan seems slow at first, follow it as written. Your muscles and bones need time to build up. Make sure you wear good shoes. Having a strong core is very important for running without injury, so do lots of exercises to build up your core strength. Warm up before a run, and always stretch afterwards. Have fun!
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Check this link....lots of great resources and articles!!!

http://www.active.com/running/newbie-runners/
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Basic advice:

1. Get a good pair of running shoes that you use only for running or cross-training - do not wear them as every day shoes
    2. Listen to your body - it is okay to run every day, but change the intensity. Have some light to moderate running days and some higher intensity days
    3. Do not increase your mileage more than 10% per week, or it may result in overtraining or injury
    4. Stretch before and after running - will prevent injury and speed up recovery
    5. Build in some strength training with weights - will prevent injury
    6. Drink plenty of water - will help prevent injury and fatigue

My other suggestion is to sign up for a 5K race a couple of months out. This will give you a goal to work toward, and they are fun races. In most areas, you can find a 5K just about every weekend.

Greg
  • alisonst76
    Options
    get proper running shoes!!!! and listen to your body it will tell you when it is too much. I run all the time and every day is different. Some days a 10k just flies by other days it is hard work to finish 5.

Just let it all go and run.
  • alisonst76
    Options

Stretching before running?? Dynamic streching maybe (fancy words for warm up your muscles) but don't 'stretch' before you run stretch after.

http://www.beginrunning.com/fitness/good-stretching-and-bad-stretching-before-running/#axzz1kxqgXIae
  • JBeansie
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba 2 for Wii for the past few weeks, but I don't feel like I'm getting a good workout. I only break a slight sweat during a 45 minute class, although according to the Wii, I'm burning 500+ calories, which doesn't seem accurate. I want to push myself, and I feel like I should do more, but I get bored with Zumba after 45 minutes, so a longer class isn't going to work.

This weekend, I decided to try running. I ran a little over a mile Saturday, and again Sunday, walking only when necessary. What a difference! I feel better about my workout when I'm hot, sweaty, and out of breath afterward. :)

Anyway, I want to start running regularly, but I've never done it before. My muscles are sore today, but I'm not having trouble walking or anything. I'm not sure if I should take break days, or keep running/walking a mile or so each day until I feel like I can go longer. I'm only out there for about 15 minutes or so. I don't want to overdo it, but at the same time, I want to push myself. If I do take a break day, what should I do? I don't want to skip exercising altogether.

Any advice?

I also don't know if I'm breathing correctly, or if I've got good form, but I'm doing what comes naturally!

First off, CONGRATS. Taking the first run is usually a hard step, but it seemed easy for you! That means you are already a runner; it is a state of mind.

I'm a marathoner now, but when I started, I could barely run a mile. As some of the other posters suggested, I picked up a couch to 5K and used that as a training program. Here are my secrets to success:

1) Get fit for a pair of shoes at your local athletic store, preferably a smaller or locally owned place. You can also consider the minimalist gear or modified minimalist like Nike Free.
    2) Read the Complete Guide to Running from Runner's World. They also have men's and women's editions. This book will break you into the running, nutrition, rest days, and potential race training. Great book!
    3) Set a schedule and stick to it. Don't let weather, emotions, or energy keep you from getting out there.
    4) Find a local running group or cough to 5K group. Meetup.com usually has several and the people are super nice.
    5) Start mapping your runs on websites like Dailymile or Run Keeper. Dailymile is great for tracking your progress and getting motivation from the community like MFP.
    6) Pick up any other fun gear (Ipod holder, water pack) or books (Born to Run, Once a Runner, What I Talk About When I Talk to Other People About Running).
    7) Join the Facebook group I <3 to Run. It sends daily run motivations that are usually quite funny.

Take it slow and easy, listen to your body, and GOOD LUCK. The community here is waiting to see you crunch out miles and support your journey.
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll try to run every other day for the first couple of weeks to give my mucles a break. I pulled a muscle over the summer and couldn't walk for a few weeks, so I don't want a repeat of that!
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the C25K app. I was already running a little bit when I started the program and I loved it. It gives you a specific time to run and walk and really eases you into being able to run a 5K. With C25K you're only supposed to run 3 days per week but when I first started it I ran 5 - 6 days a week...I don't recommend doing that. After a few weeks, I had the worst shin splint I've ever had. Ever since the shin splint healed, I've been running 3 - 4 days per week and doing weight training 2 days per week. It has really helped me lose weight too.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bump so I can check out that stretching link when not at work (its blocked here... but since no one said I'm anything I assume its just not on a safe list and isn't something inappropriate)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Any advice?

First off, CONGRATS. Taking the first run is usually a hard step, but it seemed easy for you! That means you are already a runner; it is a state of mind.

I'm a marathoner now, but when I started, I could barely run a mile. As some of the other posters suggested, I picked up a couch to 5K and used that as a training program. Here are my secrets to success:

1) Get fit for a pair of shoes at your local athletic store, preferably a smaller or locally owned place. You can also consider the minimalist gear or modified minimalist like Nike Free.
    2) Read the Complete Guide to Running from Runner's World. They also have men's and women's editions. This book will break you into the running, nutrition, rest days, and potential race training. Great book!
    3) Set a schedule and stick to it. Don't let weather, emotions, or energy keep you from getting out there.
    4) Find a local running group or cough to 5K group. Meetup.com usually has several and the people are super nice.
    5) Start mapping your runs on websites like Dailymile or Run Keeper. Dailymile is great for tracking your progress and getting motivation from the community like MFP.
    6) Pick up any other fun gear (Ipod holder, water pack) or books (Born to Run, Once a Runner, What I Talk About When I Talk to Other People About Running).
    7) Join the Facebook group I <3 to Run. It sends daily run motivations that are usually quite funny.

Take it slow and easy, listen to your body, and GOOD LUCK. The community here is waiting to see you crunch out miles and support your journey.

Thanks for the tip about meetup.com!! Great site!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Stretching before running?? Dynamic streching maybe (fancy words for warm up your muscles) but don't 'stretch' before you run stretch after.

http://www.beginrunning.com/fitness/good-stretching-and-bad-stretching-before-running/#axzz1kxqgXIae

Agreed - I call it all stretching, but I am talking about the hand walk-ups, lunges, knee-ups, arm rotations, neck rotations, etc. This is generally what I do, and none of my pre-run stretches are holds for any length of time. Pre-race is almost all jog/sprint, hand walk-ups, body rotations.

Also, should mention that after running, there should be a cool down period. I typically do 5 minutes or .25 mile, whichever comes first depending on the intensity of the run. This would be prior to, or in tandem with, the post-run stretching.
  • trainlikekatniss
    Options

I always stretch before and after running. When I don't stretch before running, the muscles in my calves start to hurt while I'm running. When I stretch, they don't do that.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Basic advice:

1. Get a good pair of running shoes that you use only for running or cross-training - do not wear them as every day shoes
    2. Listen to your body - it is okay to run every day, but change the intensity. Have some light to moderate running days and some higher intensity days
    3. Do not increase your mileage more than 10% per week, or it may result in overtraining or injury
    5. Build in some strength training with weights - will prevent injury
    6. Drink plenty of water - will help prevent injury and fatigue

All of the above. Stretching before versus after is a common debate among a lot of athletes and people who train. It's a personal preference and I've seen articles arguing for both sides. If you're used to stretching before exercising, then I'd continue. But stretch after, for sure.

The only thing I'd add in is maybe add in a warm-up. I usually walk a good 1/4-1/2 mile before starting into my run, but that's just me.

Your form, breathing, etc will come with time. You'll figure out what works for you over time. Have fun! :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a year, but I started walking. C25K started me off, I fully recommend this programme - you can stay on any of the 9 modules until satisfied with progress. Now, I do a 3.5 mile HIIT circuit every other day (walk/run/sprint) plus about 3 miles cross country hiking. on the days inbetween I don't run, but walk 6-7 miles at an easy pace. I would suggest running every other day...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I second, third and fourth on making sure you have the right shoes. I am sidelined from running right now because I thought I was wearing running shoes when they are actually crosstrainers. I strained the tendon in my inner ankle and I don't know how long it will be before it heals up enough for me to actually start running again. So I will have basically lost all my conditioning that I had built up. It's very frustrating when you really, really like to run.

I would also say that every other day when you start is good and allows your body to recover. I usually do the arc trainer on the non running days (when I can actually run again...).
  • mom2mcs
    mom2mcs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have not read all of the replies to your question, but first let me say you have taken in my opinion one of the BEST steps you can for weight loss and overall cardiovascular help. With that said, I highly recommend that first off you bite the bullet and go to a specialized running store in your area and let them fit you with shoes. I personally believe the horror stories you hear of in previous decades of permanent, chronic knee and joint injuries are as a result of lack of knowledge when it comes to good fitting shoes and proper training.
    When you have your shoes, log on to www.coolrunnings.com and download the couch to 5k. READ the article in its entirety. THEN, find you someone that will do it with you. DO NOT shy away from an experienced runner offering to help you. They can be a key to success. Don't let the demons inside you tell you that "they are having to wait on you," or "wasting their time on you." They will be able to give you wise counsel yet push you when you want to quit. There is a support system among runners that is one of bringing up newbies and helping them succeed. If no experienced runner, pick someone that will not back out on you when the time comes to get out there.
    Last, go ahead and schedule and PAY for yourself a 5k to participate in. Mark it on your calendar and make that your success story day!
    Congratulations on making this life changing decision in your life. It has been one for me! Before you know it, you will be tackling a half marathon. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I DID!!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)