Want to start running, but am amprehensive....

Options
Hello all. I'm still new to this, but I hope I can get some advise and maybe some contructive critism.

I seriously started working out and eating much better 3 weeks ago. I'm not really losing much and I think it's because I need some cardio. My 12 year old daughter did cross country last fall and she lost so much weight with just running mon- fri. I thought it would be a great idea to go running with her, something to create a little mom/daughter time. But I'm extremely apprehensive because the last time I tried to go running, I'm falling out 3 blocks into it. I had a friend tell me that I need to slow down, so I timed my steps and made sure I was going slower, I was still dying by the 3 - 4th block. I just want to run 1 mile, I tried going as slow as possible, but I feel like I'm failing myself. I need to lose weight, I have a closet full of clothes I can't fit into, it's killing my self esteem, and I refuse to look at myself in the mirror. I refuse to buy bigger clothes, but my boyfriend was tired of me crying because I couldn't fit into any of my clothes and he made me get a couple of outfits because I needed clothes to wear. *He couldn't stand to see me get so frustrated trying to shimmie into clothing that was much too small for me because I refused to believe the truth.**

Now I was to try again. I've been doing the 30ds for about 2 1/2 weeks now, but it's cold.... Ok, there I go again, making excuses. My daughter starts track this spring, probably in a month or so, and I thought it would be great conditioning for her if we wnt running to build her stamina back up. What should I do so that she gets some good training in, and I don't feel pathetic trying to run next to my 12 year old? Any advise?? I'm so anxious to start losing some weight again... 30ds is helping somewhat with inches, but the pounds are remaining...

Replies

• luvnall3
    Options
    I hated running in high school. So I was pleasantly suprised that last year I enjoyed running and found myself choosing that most days as my workout.(lost a lot of weight doing it) Although, I fell out of running due to a knee problem, I am trying, now a year later, to get back on track. I have been working out at the gym steadily for about 2 months now. I did a bit of jog on the tredmill and thought I was ready to get out there and jog the neighborhood. So, Sunday, my husband and I went for a 7 blk jog+ about 3 miles. I had to stop by the 3 blk. I was out of breath and weak in the legs. I had to stop many times thru it and my body hurt badly after. So, I learned the hard way, that I pushed myself TOO hard. I am sore and dont really want to do ANY workout now that I over did it. I know exactly how you feel, you want to get out there with your daughter now! But, condition yourself and build up to that so that you can sustain that run with her, all the way to the end! My trainer is having me do my usual workouts and adding sprints on the tredmill, so I can build up my legs, lungs and heart to that kind of cardio. My goal is to be running by March 1! Maybe she can join you as you work up to her level. Good luck to you! You will get there!
  • hermightychelle
    hermightychelle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There are several handy apps on the iPhone/iPod available for beginners. I really like the Couch to 5K. Right now I'm using an app called 5k Runner because it's free, but it's not the most user friendly version. It helps you work up to a good run, no matter what your current shape or athletic level is. I've heard you must take baby steps or else you will get super discouraged and possibly injure yourself. Like only running every other day. I am NOT a natural runner/jogger but ran my first 5k a couple of summers ago. It was hard but very rewarding. If I can do it, anyone can do it! Good luck!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Two things in the workout world that have been very humbling for me: yoga & running. :happy: Well, the only yoga I've ever done was on Wii Fit and on a Jillian Michaels DVD, and I think hers is a modified version of yoga, but all that balance (or lack of on my part!) was humbling.

Anyway - I want to like running, and am also just starting out. In the past I have realized how quickly I burn out, and I think it's just trying to do too much too fast. I can walk all day long, and I walk fast - everyone tells me to slow down. :tongue: But running? Whole different thing.

Like hermightychel said, try one of the apps or websites for a c25k program to coach you through it. I'm starting one tomorrow!
  • krbn2
    krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You may just not be in shape enough right now to be able to run 1 mile immediately--and that's completely normal if you haven't been exercising. This is probably about to be suggested a lot--but you could try the couch to 5k program to build up your stamina. Or just try to add a *little* bit of distance every other time you run--run three blocks for two runs and then run three and a half for the next one.

I just started running this year, and I'm still not very fast or impressive, but you can surprise yourself by how much you can improve in a month or six--the trick is to stick with it that long.

There are plenty of runners--fast runners--who are not at an ideal body weight. You don't have to be thin to run.

I would suggest not comparing yourself to your 12 year old. : ) She's got a whole semester of training behind her, and some of that fitness has stuck around. Like I said, I'm pretty slow--I get beat by kids and people with those fancy three-wheeled strollers at all the 5Ks I've participated in. Compete with yourself and be proud of your own progress. If there's a track in your area, you could go there to run with her, and then you'll be around each other even if you're going at different paces.
  • DBRobinson13
    DBRobinson13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Set very small goals for yourself. I would pick out houses and say, "I will jog without stopping to that house". then I'd walk a little, and pick out another house and jog again. Pretty soon, I was jogging to that second house. It takes time. Keep going - you can do it!!!!
  • lacespace
    Options
    I do a running blog and have found that the running shoes you choose will make a big difference in the way you run. If you run properly you will get a increased desire to do it more often. The hardest part about running is that it is hard, so make it easy by choosing the best fit for you. If you would like to read more about running shoes and the effects it has on your body check out http://www.woodburywisdom.com/fitness/running-shoes-i-like-best/. Best of luck and hope it becomes fun quickly.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I did the Couch-2-5K Program. It's structured, and if you have trouble with one work out, just repeat it. Took me 9 weeks.

Also, like others have said. Don't try to keep up with your daughter, or anyone else. With the exception of an elite few, running is about challenging yourself.