South Beach?

Options
2»

Replies

• KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info on yogurt. I love, love, plan non-fat yogurt with a little of the sugar free jello mix added for flavor/color :)
    I got the book from the public library and I'm sure it was the old one. I've been using part-skim ricotta like crazy. Found a recipe that is ricotta, nonsweatened cocoa, instant coffee, splenda and vanilla extract mixed up. tastes just like chocolate mousse. Its really good unless you overthink it. When i think "chocolate flavored cheese" I get a little gaggy.
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info on yogurt. I love, love, plan non-fat yogurt with a little of the sugar free jello mix added for flavor/color :)
    I got the book from the public library and I'm sure it was the old one. I've been using part-skim ricotta like crazy. Found a recipe that is ricotta, nonsweatened cocoa, instant coffee, splenda and vanilla extract mixed up. tastes just like chocolate mousse. Its really good unless you overthink it. When i think "chocolate flavored cheese" I get a little gaggy.
    LOL!
  • 343paul
    343paul Posts: 24
    Options
    Read a great book titled "Eat to Live"
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SB for about a month and I've lost only 5 lbs....I think this diet works better for me because I have diabetes, but I really wish I could lose more!!

I have been eating chili for the past 2 weeks for lunch, and it has 50 carbs per serving, so I'm wondering if that is the issue. I am going to incorporate exercise this week along with the chili and see if that helps. If not, no more chili for me!

5 lbs is good -- different people lose at different rates. I wish I could just show consistent loss -- right now I've been down 2, up 1, down 4, up 2 . . .

It could be the carbs in the chili -- when I was on phase 1, I was only getting an avg of about 80 carbs a day -- my lowest day was about 40, the highest was about 110. A lot would depend on what those carbs were, what ingredients where in it. If it has beans in it, and most of the carbs are from the beans, that should be fine. I'm looking at the can of chili I have in my pantry right now (Hormel Chili, no beans). For a 1 cup serving, it only has 18 g of carbs. Looking at the ingredients, it has oatmeal and corn flour (not great, but not too bad), and less than 2% of tomatoes, sugar, and modified cornstarch (sugar's not great, but at least it's not high fructose corn syrup; Dr. A really frowns upon modified cornstarch -- he believes it creates cravings, but this seems to be a very small amount -- I guess it would depend on how if affects you).

It is homemade chili with ground beef, crushed tomatoes, 2 cans of kidney beans, onions, green bell peppers, and spices. No sugar, cornstarch, flour, etc. The beans are the main culprit, so we'll see how this week goes! Thanks for the response :)
  • yellowrose5321
    Options
    It is homemade chili with ground beef, crushed tomatoes, 2 cans of kidney beans, onions, green bell peppers, and spices. No sugar, cornstarch, flour, etc. The beans are the main culprit, so we'll see how this week goes! Thanks for the response :)
    :happy: :happy: :happy: Homemade is always best -- that way you know exactly what you're getting!!!
  • KellyKAG
    Options
    Hi south beach peeps. Anyone have any ideas for some foods with a good crunch? (please dont say fresh veggies. I dont know if i can each another raw veggie for a little while.)
  • yellowrose5321
    Options
    Hi south beach peeps. Anyone have any ideas for some foods with a good crunch? (please dont say fresh veggies. I dont know if i can each another raw veggie for a little while.)
    I've tried roasted garbanzo beans -- drain a can, blot dry with paper towels, season as you wish, spread them out on a cookie sheet, then bake at 450 for about 30-40 mins. Here's a sample recipe from Allrecipe.com -- I've seen others that used cinnamon and artificial sweetner for a sweeter snack.

Ingredients
    1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    salt (optional)
    garlic salt (optional)
    cayenne pepper (optional)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
    2. Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, and season to taste with salt, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper, if using. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned and crunchy. Watch carefully the last few minutes to avoid burning.
  • KellyKAG
    Options
    Had a carbfest last night with chips and salsa. It was so wrong but so good! :ohwell: