Quinoa

Options
124»

Replies

• Bethincha
    Options
    My trainer recommended it for the protein & I found there's Tons of recipes online. I just got some Quinoa Flour today to add protein to my biscuits, pancakes, waffles etc... I'm actually going to try it in mini cupcakes for my birthday next week . . . we'll see how that goes..?.. . . . :happy:
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I never rinse mine...I eat it for breakfast instead of oatmeal or a cereal..I add skim milk. almonds etc.
    I also eat if for dinner as my carb instead of brown rice, whole grain pasta etc.
    You can add it to soups , stews, etc

how do you eat it for breakfast? cooked i'm assuming and then cooled? sounds like an interesting alternative to my beloved cereal!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for posting this! I was making quinoa tonight already and have a squash sitting on my counter. Sounds great!
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've never rinsed it, oops... or maybe I buy the pre-rinsed because I haven't seen this step in the instructions. :-)

I just make it with veggie broth and eat it like rice... sometimes I'll add some mixed veggies while it's cooking. If I make it for dinner with some salmon you can use the leftovers and make a salad, similar to this recipe:

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/quinoa-and-salmon-salad.aspx
  • callingbatonrouge
    callingbatonrouge Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    oh yes - rice cooker is the easiest way - I love it!
  • julielupi
    Options
    Try this recipe, its one of my favourites for quinoa. I don't use the mushroom bun, just cook the patties and sprinkle lemon juice on top. Yummy!
    http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/View/Quinoa-veggie-burger
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    bump (thanks)
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Things I do:

1. make it in a rice cooker, just like rice. Sometimes I make it with chicken broth, lemon juice, etc.

2. toast it in a frying pan before cooking gives a nutty taste.

3. Mix it with minced kale, roasted garlic, and whatever veggies you have and serve cold as a salad.
  • Eeyore255
    Eeyore255 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the rice cooker also. To rinse it, I just swish it in the cooker pot with water, pour off as much as I can, and then add enough water/broth for cooking. Usually, I use half quinoa & half brown rice (cooked in the rice cooker at the same time!) and eat it with stir fry or as a side dish.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Take it back, you can thank me later.

Unless, of course, you enjoy the taste of dirt.

:laugh: :happy:
    I have only tried it once and well..it's a little special.. But whenever I fix gluten free pasta for a rare treat for the kiddies I use the Ancient Harvest brand that is a quinoa and corn mix.. it is really good and pretty close to regular pasta in look, texture and flavor
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't rinse my Quinoa. Treat it like rice. It takes on the flavour of whatever you cook it with. You can eat it as a cereal (add cherries and hazelnuts with milk/almond milk), or add veggies, olive oil, balsamic and/or lemon juice with spices. Did you know you can even buy RED quinoa? It tastes the same pretty much but it's pretty.
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also have never rinsed mine, wonder if I have the pre-rinsed too?

This recipe is pretty good and pretty easy:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
    3. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    4. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

10 servings
    Amount Per Serving
    ** Calories 76
    ** Calories from Fat 13
    % Daily Value *
    ** Total Fat 1.5g 2 %
    ** Saturated Fat 0.1g < 1 %
    ** Cholesterol 0mg 0 %
    ** Sodium 190mg 8 %
    ** Potassium 71mg 2 %
    ** Total Carbohydrates 13.7g 4 %
    ** Dietary Fiber 1.9g 8 %
    ** Protein 2.6g 5 %
    ** Sugars 1.5g
    ** Vitamin A 7 %
    ** Vitamin C 5 %
    ** Calcium 1 %
    ** Iron 3 %
    ** Thiamin 2 %
    ** Niacin 3 %
    ** Vitamin B6 4 %
    ** Magnesium 2 %
    ** Folate 5 %
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    BUMP, I HAD IT TODAY W/SWEET POTATOES, BLACK BEANS, RED PEPPERS, ONIONS.. VERY GOOD!
  • Jaw_g
    Jaw_g Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm yet to try it. BUMP!