CW 190.2 (ugh)
height 5'9
age 24

BMR-1,693

1200 calorie diet with exercise

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    CW: 282.9 this morning! (seems like a lot, and it is, but I've had trouble getting out of the 280s, and it's one step closer!)
    Height: 5'6"
    BMR: 2,075

2,090 diet (though I usually eat more like 2,000) with exercise.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,339 Member
    I think mine is low...
  • brittanyjeanxo
    I think mine is low...

Then eat more :) From what I understand, you should be eating pretty close to your BMR.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    5'1"
    BMR: 1,359
    diet: 1400
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    CW--135
    Height-- 5' 5"
    BMR--1283
  • I'm sorry, I know this question is used and abused. I just can't wrap my head around how to use the results I'm getting. Also, I'm getting different BMRs from different calculators. How do I know what to follow in order to lose 1-1.5/week?

27 years old
    227 lbs
    62 inches tall

MFP says 1718 calories per day. Is this what I should aim for, or still deduct 500 calories in order to lose? Which doesn't seem right because 1200 calories at 227 lbs sounds like I would faint or be very crabby all the time.
    FitnessMagazine.com says 2168 calories per day. I believe this includes the lifestyle factor (sedentary, desk job)
    Cutthefatpodcast.com says 2465 calories per day also factoring in sedentary lifestyle.

Any help would be appreciated, tried posting this over the weekend but no responses. :embarassed:
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    I'm sorry, I know this question is used and abused. I just can't wrap my head around how to use the results I'm getting. Also, I'm getting different BMRs from different calculators. How do I know what to follow in order to lose 1-1.5/week?

27 years old
    227 lbs
    62 inches tall

MFP says 1718 calories per day. Is this what I should aim for, or still deduct 500 calories in order to lose? Which doesn't seem right because 1200 calories at 227 lbs sounds like I would faint or be very crabby all the time.
    FitnessMagazine.com says 2168 calories per day. I believe this includes the lifestyle factor (sedentary, desk job)
    Cutthefatpodcast.com says 2465 calories per day also factoring in sedentary lifestyle.

Any help would be appreciated, tried posting this over the weekend but no responses. :embarassed:

I would try bumping your weekend post. Was it an original thread or in a thread like this one? I don't know anything about fitness, I'm very new to this.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    I think mine is low...

Then eat more :) From what I understand, you should be eating pretty close to your BMR.

I eat my 1200 and I am satisfied, I'm going to try to stick with it for about a month and see what happens :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    CW - 162
    Height 5'5"
    BMR 1450
  • DaveMXF
    DaveMXF Posts: 52
    My CW - 211
    6ft
    43 YO

BMR 1,890
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    32 y/o male

218 lbs

74" tall

BMR 2,011.

Remember, BMR is the calorie requirements if you were at rest all day (ie. lying in a hospital bed all day doing nothing).

Adding in the "Sedintary lifestyle" (I work at a desk at day) It comes to 2,510 per day.

If I exercise, I have to add those calories to that to 2,510.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    43 years old
    CW 139
    Height 5'4"
    MFP calories 1200
    BMR 1371
  • brittanyjeanxo
    I think mine is low...

I eat my 1200 and I am satisfied, I'm going to try to stick with it for about a month and see what happens :)

That's good. Really in the beginning, it's all about trial and error. If it doesn't work for you or stops working for you, try eating you BMR and see what happens :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    21 years old
    5'4
    114 pounds
    BMR 1298
    Calorie goal 1300+ exercise cals
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    This is a little confusing... Are you telling us your tdee as opposed to your daily calorie goal? Or are you now maintaining.
    32 y/o male

218 lbs

74" tall

BMR 2,011.

Remember, BMR is the calorie requirements if you were at rest all day (ie. lying in a hospital bed all day doing nothing).

Adding in the "Sedintary lifestyle" (I work at a desk at day) It comes to 2,510 per day.

If I exercise, I have to add those calories to that to 2,510.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    I'm sorry, I know this question is used and abused. I just can't wrap my head around how to use the results I'm getting. Also, I'm getting different BMRs from different calculators. How do I know what to follow in order to lose 1-1.5/week?

27 years old
    227 lbs
    62 inches tall

Ok let me help clear this up a bit. MFP builds the deficit into your calories, so I think that 1700 it is giving you will have a deficit built in already, which is why it is lower than the other two calculations. Remember your BMR (base metabolic rate) is what you would burn if you did nothing all day, it just keeps your body going.

MFP then multiples that BMR by an activity factor (depending on your work) to arrive at your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). You can see your TDEE on the Goals page on MFP under calories burned from normal daily activity. This is your calories burned without exercise.

When you set you goal weight loss per week MFP creates a percentage deficit to your TDEE that will allow you to achieve this. This percentage will vary depending on your overall size (much bigger people can handle larger deficits then already lean people) and you rate of weight loss. Normally 20% - 30% deficit on your TDEE is correct.

So with your stats your BMR is about 1800 (don't get too hung up on exact numbers, rounding is fine)
    If we assume you have a sedentary lifestyle, i.e. are an office worker we times that by the activity factor 1.2. Making your TDEE 2160.
    Then we create a deficit of 20% (2160 x .8) = 1728. This is the calories you can eat, before exercise. You can then decide how many of your exercise calories you want to eat back. E.g. on a day where you burn an extra 500 calories you may choose to eat half of them back, meaning you can now have 1978. Or all of them back if that is what works for you, as you are already in deficit :) Hope this helps somewhat!
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    This is a little confusing... Are you telling us your tdee as opposed to your daily calorie goal? Or are you now maintaining.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm interpreting people saying that the BMR number is their dietary goal (TDEE - reduced calories), which in that case, they're not eating the proper amount of food.

BMR by itself is only what it takes to live with no movement (burning of calories). When you account for your lifestyle (sedintary, active, very active, etc...) your daily calorie requirements go up: that's your TDEE with no additional exercise routines.
  • I'm sorry, I know this question is used and abused. I just can't wrap my head around how to use the results I'm getting. Also, I'm getting different BMRs from different calculators. How do I know what to follow in order to lose 1-1.5/week?

27 years old
    227 lbs
    62 inches tall

Ok let me help clear this up a bit. MFP builds the deficit into your calories, so I think that 1700 it is giving you will have a deficit built in already, which is why it is lower than the other two calculations. Remember your BMR (base metabolic rate) is what you would burn if you did nothing all day, it just keeps your body going.

MFP then multiples that BMR by an activity factor (depending on your work) to arrive at your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). You can see your TDEE on the Goals page on MFP under calories burned from normal daily activity. This is your calories burned without exercise.

When you set you goal weight loss per week MFP creates a percentage deficit to your TDEE that will allow you to achieve this. This percentage will vary depending on your overall size (much bigger people can handle larger deficits then already lean people) and you rate of weight loss. Normally 20% - 30% deficit on your TDEE is correct.

So with your stats your BMR is about 1800 (don't get too hung up on exact numbers, rounding is fine)
    If we assume you have a sedentary lifestyle, i.e. are an office worker we times that by the activity factor 1.2. Making your TDEE 2160.
    Then we create a deficit of 20% (2160 x .8) = 1728. This is the calories you can eat, before exercise. You can then decide how many of your exercise calories you want to eat back. E.g. on a day where you burn an extra 500 calories you may choose to eat half of them back, meaning you can now have 1978. Or all of them back if that is what works for you, as you are already in deficit :) Hope this helps somewhat!

Thank you so much for breaking it down, that totally makes more sense. Whew!!:happy:
  • You have a BMR of 1413.75.
    It said.
    I am under weight it said :/