MORE VEGGIES! How can I get more?

Options

Replies

• TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Do you have a juicer? I juice raw beets and carrots, then use them as the base (instead of milk) for my smoothies. I also put a handful of spinach in almost every smoothie I make. All I really taste are the fruit flavors, so I can't even tell that that spinach is there except by the color and sometimes the texture of the smoothie. This morning my smoothie consisted of 1 cup of carrot juice, apple, banana, spinach, and 1/2 cup of simply apple juice.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    An easy way is to make a spinach smoothie. Add your usual smoothie ingredients (milk or milk-like fluid of your choice, yogurt, protein powder, whatever), then 1.5 to 2 c. raw spinach, and at least 1/2 a banana to cut the spinach taste. This is great with the addition of other fruits, especially berries, too. The resulting shake is a festive green color, but the banana cancels out the spinach taste.

I second this! Look up "green smoothie" recipes. I promise you, when you blend up greens with other stuff: milk, fruit, yogurt, almond butter, cocoa powder, protein powder, flax, etc., you DO NOT taste the greens. You can have a handful of spinach, swiss chard, dandelion leaves,etc. Variety is great!

Check this out:
    http://thediva-dish.com/uncategorized/all-about-green-drinks-101/
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Asparagus sauteed in pam or olive oil, sprinkled with fresh shaved parmesan cheese

Swiss Chard (destemmed), cooked same as asparagus

Summer squash/zucchini cut into bite sized peices, steamed, then put butter spray and dill on them

Sliced cucumber with FF ranch dressing for dip

Chop celery, green pepper, julienned baby carrots, onion, garlic and sautee, then add to 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice with cajun seasoning and hot sauce

Put cut up veggies such as spinach, onion, green peppers, into egg/egg whites, add cheese and black olives and make a frittata

Make Kale chips - wash, dry, rub in olive oil, then roast until crispy. Season with sea salt.

Steam fresh brussel sprouts for 5 minutes, then halve, coat with olive oil, sea salt, then bake until turning light brown on edges. Put parmesan cheese on and broil until melted/turning brown (delicious!!)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I think a staple to a good diet are vegetables. I only like certain veggies like corn, peas, green beans, potatoes, and carrots. I am getting very tired of green beans and overall my appetite never wants veggies!!! I'm really not eating potatoes right now because of the carb & starch content. I do eat lots of salad, but I feel it doesn't have much nutritional content (although very low in cals). I'll also eat raw broccoli. I know V8 is good for your veggie intake, but I don't like the taste! I know I'm kind of a veggie snot!

Do you have any suggestions of easy ways for me to get more veggies? I'd like 3-4 servings a day, at the least. What do you think about beans? Good/Bad for weight loss?

buy a vitamix. disguise the vegetables in a berry smoothie.
    I can fit a ton of vegetables in my berry smoothies and not taste them at all.

like Kale spinach carrots zucchini

also, look into Amazing green grass superfood powder - its all the green vegetables & antioxidants in powder form.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Try using a mix of dark leafy greens like spinach, arugula, kale, etc. instead of iceberg or romain lettuces for salads to up the nutritional content. In general, the darker the green the more nutrients.

Greens are also really good chopped fine and stirred into sauces, soups, and stews.

Root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, rutubaga, sweet potato and turnips are really good roasted or stewed, especially with beef. They are also good mashed together. If you like mushrooms, try mashed root vegetables or cauliflower with mushroom gravy for a low calorie nutrient rich side dish.
  • uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think a staple to a good diet are vegetables. I only like certain veggies like corn, peas, green beans, potatoes, and carrots. I am getting very tired of green beans and overall my appetite never wants veggies!!! I'm really not eating potatoes right now because of the carb & starch content. I do eat lots of salad, but I feel it doesn't have much nutritional content (although very low in cals). I'll also eat raw broccoli. I know V8 is good for your veggie intake, but I don't like the taste! I know I'm kind of a veggie snot!

Do you have any suggestions of easy ways for me to get more veggies? I'd like 3-4 servings a day, at the least. What do you think about beans? Good/Bad for weight loss?

It's tough, but you've gotta do it! Your body needs those macronutrients so that it can work the way it's meant to work. If you like salad, use spring mix or arugula as your greens (I actually mix both). The deeper green the leaf, the more nutritional value. And mix up raw veggies. Sometimes it's helpful to pre-make a salad base and pre-chop veggies to add. That way it's ready and you don't even have to think about it, ya know?

Also, sub your potatoes for sweet potatoes! They're DELICIOUS. If you ROAST veggies (cut 'em up, brush or toss them in extra virgin olive oil, add salt & pepper, bake in a single layer on a cookie sheet for about 40 minutes at 400F), it'll bring out their sweetness. I've found that I love roasted veggies and you can make a ton and eat them all week. Last night I made roasted cabbage for the first time and it rocked my face off.

If you like italian food, you should try making some eggplant. You can cut it into slices & sautee it in a pan with a little olive oil, garlic & onion then throw it in a pasta sauce. Recently, I breaded and fried it and threw some cheese & sauce on it (eggplant parm). That was good, but a little indulgent.

I also recommend hass avocados! They're very good for you.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Y'all are so awesome!!! Look at these suggestions. It is much appreciated :happy:
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I like to eat veggies - I just don't like to prepare them. What works for me is to buy the steamable veggie assortments from Bird's Eye or Green Giant. I put them in a covered glass bowl instead of steaming in the plastic bag. Either way, just a few minutes and they're ready, and pretty tasty too.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat any veggies until I started with MFP. I am still not nearly as cultured in veggies as others, but I have found some that I like (or at least tolerate) and eat.

One thing that I found is that I LOVE onions & green bell peppers....NEVER would have imagined that! I also now eat spinach, broccoli, lettuce, and carrots. My suggestion is to try them and cut up/cooked in different things or mixed into your salad and go from there. If I can try new stuff, anyone can ;)
  • Goalsforsusie
    Goalsforsusie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I do especially if I am relying on a Lean Cuisine or WW frozen meal - is I dump the contents on top of a bed of baby spinsh or mixed greens it is quite delish and I get a ton of veggies in!!!
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • sarawoertink
    sarawoertink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just watched a movie called, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." The man on the movie fasts for 60 days and only drinks juice comprised of several vegetables and fruit. My husband the other day made a juice with a large amount of various vegetables, an apple, an orange, and a lemon. I was terrified to try it because I don't care for too many vegetables either. Surprisingly, it was delicious! The citrus fruits masked the horrible vegetable taste. Juicing allows you to eat several vegetables at once without having to sit there and actually eat each one.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Ever since I was a kid I didn't like to eat veggies. I still don't really care for them but one way I have found that I enjoy is to juice them while mixing them with fruit. I only do this in the warm seasons because it can be expensive though. I do a 50% vegetable 50% fruit mix. I'll juice things like carrots, cucumbers, spinach, kale, chard, collards, tomatoes, apples, oranges, grapes, pineapple, ginger, lemon and watermelon. It has a decent taste and provides a lot of energy.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    Try baking them or putting them in stir fries!

I love zucchini fries, baked breaded mushrooms and onion rings! SO DELICIOUS <3

or in a stir fry put them in as your veggies! as well as force yourself to have a small green salad at dinner on the side!
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I usually put a cup or more of spinach in my protein shake. I use 1 or 2 scoops of protein (depending on if I lifted or not that day) and 1 cup of raspberries and blackberries mixed (frozen) and then a little milk. Honestly, you can't taste the spinach!!

Also, I have been juicing veggies as well! I LOVE veggies but like you, I just never think to eat them regularly besides dinner. If you juice some veggies with a fruit or two, SO good!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    This is a total cop-out to the major fitness Nazi's and health nuts out there, but I drink V8 juices now.
    I tried forcing down all those disgusting veggies but just couldn't any longer.

Now, in one swift gulp, I get 2 whole servings.
    I'll take that 4 times per day and call it x-mas.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Thats funny saraderv we made the same suggestion at the same time
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Look up healthy carrot or zucchini breads or muffins. It can be a sweet treat and a veggie.

I always put a bag of baby carrots and snap peas in my lunch. It gives me 2 servings of veggies at lunch and a lot of fiber to get through the afternoon.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I have found that purchasing them is the first step.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later! I need help on this to!! :flowerforyou: