Losing weight without exercise.

Options
Ok so I know I'm going to sound really lazy here but here goes.

I am losing weight very successfully at the moment but I don't exercise much. I go to the gym every now and again but unless someone comes with me I just have no motivation to go because I get easily bored. I walk everywhere since I don't drive and I am a dental nurse which means from 8-5 I am standing quite a bit. I really want to start some classes or exercise at home but my hula hoop wont fit in my bedroom and I get embarrassed when people are there.

I know I am making a lot of excuses but I really just don't have the motivation. I'm scared that as I lose more weight I am just going to look flabby and horrible. I am 117lbs down from 150lbs and I want to be around 105lbs. But I don't want to still look fat even at that weight because I didn't exercise.

Is anyone else losing weight without exercise? Should I start kicking my butt into gear?

Replies

• brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    start kicking your butt into gear. If you dont like being around others at the gym and the hula hoop wont work...find a home program to do. Sounds like you need something with a schedule as well to keep you on track and you don't have to make your own plan up. There are SO MANY amazing options out there from getting dvds at walmart or target or going to beachbody and finding something you like from them!
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree about kicking your butt into gear. =) If space is an issue at home, then do exercises that don't take up a lot of space. For the 30 Day Shred DVD, you only need enough space to be able to do push-ups and jumping jacks, and it only takes like 25 minutes a day. Or, just do a few sets of push-ups every couple days, challenging yourself to do more every few weeks (http://hundredpushups.com) You could also do squats at home, and get a couple sets of handweights and start doing bicep curls, rows, all sorts of things.

Strength exercises will help with the flab factor a lot more than cardio will at this point, so look into those. Good luck!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I am losing weight very successfully at the moment but I don't exercise much. I go to the gym every now and again but unless someone comes with me I just have no motivation to go because I get easily bored. I walk everywhere since I don't drive and I am a dental nurse which means from 8-5 I am standing quite a bit. I really want to start some classes or exercise at home but my hula hoop wont fit in my bedroom and I get embarrassed when people are there.

I know I am making a lot of excuses but I really just don't have the motivation. I'm scared that as I lose more weight I am just going to look flabby and horrible. I am 117lbs down from 150lbs and I want to be around 105lbs. But I don't want to still look fat even at that weight because I didn't exercise.

Is anyone else losing weight without exercise? Should I start kicking my butt into gear?

The website is designed for weightless without exercise. Your daily goal has a built in deficit based on the amount of weight you said you wanted to lose. Exercise is good, you should do it, but not required for weight loss.
  • happylittleclam
    Options
    instead of walking wherever you go, run. especially if you are just going shopping or so
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Try starting with this: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

All you need is your room, a couple of chairs and a jug of milk. :smile:
  • chicklidell
    Options
    You don't want to be skinny fat....thin girls who have muffin tops and flabby thighs despite the fact they weigh as much as a chiuahua...a little strength training goes a long way..and when you get to child bearing years and above the payoff is more then physical appeal
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I know I SHOULD say 'get your butt into gear' but....

Last year I exercised almost EVERY day from Jan to end November. Great- lost 9.5 Kilos (approx 21 pounds) and kept on loosing it slowely even after giving up on my diet in March, but I had no time left for anything else, with a full time job and a daughter as well. I used the gym, did zumba etc, but also used EA Sport and other exercise programmes on the Wii, which didn't require much space. In the summer I cycled lots of places.

In january 2012 I was going to start dieting again, but noticed I was putting it off as I got used to having my evenings to myself. I then decided to start dieting on 7th Jan, without pressurising myself into exercising every day. Result so far; 5 kilos lost in the last 3 weeks (I know the first weeks are easiest).

I now exercise at the gym every Saturday morning and swim with my 5 year old every Sunday (not real exercise) I also aim to walk places in stead of taking the car. It seems to work for me so far, without eating into my precious time.

My friend lost lots of weight by giving up her car and walking everywhere (or taking public transport) if you use exercise as a means to get from A to B you may be more encouraged to keep it up. It also doesn't require space or expensive equipment.

What i am trying to say is: think about different ways of exercising that suite you. And if you choose not to exercise; don;t worry too much. Atleast you are keeping up a healthy diet, which is better than nothing!

Good luck!
  • moonlightturk
    Options

The website is designed for weightless without exercise. Your daily goal has a built in deficit based on the amount of weight you said you wanted to lose. Exercise is good, you should do it, but not required for weight loss.
  • tickletickle
    Options
    You don't want to be skinny fat....thin girls who have muffin tops and flabby thighs despite the fact they weigh as much as a chiuahua...a little strength training goes a long way..and when you get to child bearing years and above the payoff is more then physical appeal

your right ive lost 15kg with very minimum exercise im lucky that im naturally quite toned, but yes still have my mummy tummy and big hips!!! i too need to kick my butt into gear!!
  • Lynda4aska
    Options
    based on your picture, you look very young. Not sure how tall you are, to be able to assess whether 150 was a good weight, or 117 is more suitable. Sounds to me like you are pressured to be skinny-skinny, and that's not necessarily healthy. Being healthy, not overweight though, is the best route to go, however you get to it. Good luck !
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're pretty active already. My wife got to her goal weight and all she did is take walks in the evening.

Working out is more important for shleps like me who sit at a desk 8 hours a day. If I were you I would focus on nutrition and find an active activity that you will enjoy, and then you won't be "working out".
  • TheRoadToGettingSkinny
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying! I think I have decided to start the 30 Day Shred since it's only 25 minutes, even I can fit that into my day. I'm very focused on being extremely healthy and toned. I don't want to be skinny-skinny but I don't want to be skinny-fat either.

I have seen great result pictures from the 30 Day Shred and I think that's my best bet :)
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    losing weight + no exercise = muscle waste

you will continue to look like a skinny fat till you break down all your muscle mass then you will look like Auschwitz mode