Oh dear God what have I DONE?!?

io_ragazza
io_ragazza Posts: 23
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
This is the aftermath of a moment of UTTER madness on the internet... I've just signed up to run the London marathon next year. :noway: What got into me?!? Now what do I do? I have ages to train, but still... 26.2 miles? That's about 4 times the furthest I've ever run in my life! and I never ran at all until 4 months ago... HELP!

Replies

• likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Baby steps. It's next year. Take your time, breathe deep and relax....YOU GOT THIS! :smile:
  • jeanns
    jeanns Posts: 58
    The most common mistake for training is doing too much too soon. Take it slow. Find a training plan you can stick to that builds up gradually. Join a team that's training so you can have people to run with and get tips from. You'll be amazed at what you are capable of! Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    look at it this way-

it is better than signing up for ACAI Berries or whatever the heck they call the miracle diet today
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    WOW! Good for you and I admire you greatly for this!! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    I 2nd that dave! You can do it, the key is to increase no more than 10 percent every week. You have time thats for sure and don't get discouraged just run :happy: I ran my first full a couple of weeks ago and it was so much fun! It is totally worth all the training.

~Leash :heart:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

who me? thanks Tam
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member

who me? thanks Tam
    No, Dave................HER!! :tongue:
  • io_ragazza
    io_ragazza Posts: 23
    looool you guys make me smile :happy:
    I'm just a bit unnerved by it... at least it means I can eat more (healthy food of course, just more of it...) If I'm having to train.

Leash, well done on that, seriously! Can you give me any pointers? Right now I run about 18-20 miles per week, so I should aim for 10-22 next week? Nutrition? How much more do I actually need to eat? I'm sure MFP overestimates running calories..
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    WOW, I'M EXCITED FOR YOU. I havent' had the courage to sign up for a race, even though i run enough to do one. good luck to you, you'll do great!:drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    You can do this! runnersworld.com has training tools available online and the most recent issue is dedicated to getting runners of all abilities to be able to run a marathon by fall. Follow a training schedule so you don't over do it and good luck :flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Good for you!!!

There is a great training schedule on runnersworld.com called Smart Coach. You just input your information (speed, what you are training for, amount of time to train, that kind of thing) and then it gives you a training schedule, including short/long and tempo runs.

I'm still new at running, but I've learned a lot in the MFP Runners Club thread. You should check it out :smile:

Good luck in your training!! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I have a problem racing to the fridge..........so I greatly admire anyone who runs at all.

Work your way up......you can do this!! There are a bunch of running threads, talk with the ppl who know!

and Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Good for you!!!

There is a great training schedule on runnersworld.com called Smart Couch. You just input your information (speed, what you are training for, amount of time to train, that kind of thing) and then it gives you a training schedule, including short/long and tempo runs.

I'm still new at running, but I've learned a lot in the MFP Runners Club thread. You should check it out :smile:

Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Good for you!!!

There is a great training schedule on runnersworld.com called Smart Couch. You just input your information (speed, what you are training for, amount of time to train, that kind of thing) and then it gives you a training schedule, including short/long and tempo runs.

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

LOL, did you notice my typo? smart COUCH (which is what I'm sitting on right now) instead of smart coach :laugh:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Sounds exciting!
    Good for you!
This discussion has been closed.