will you gain weight going under your calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• lgraham92
    lgraham92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    eventually yes. and banking doesn't always work.

Starvation mode (for the 2nd poster in this thread) isn't a myth.

/eyeroll.

At the risk of starting a flame war - If you legitimately think Starvation mode isn't a myth, I do ask you, care to explain Africa or Etheopia to me? How come they aren't all obese?

Thought so.

The worst thing that will happen if you eat to low is your metabolism will start to slow a tiny bit, and if you do it for an extended period of time, you may be prone to binge eating and gaining all the weight back. I've lost close to 105lbs now eating at what people would call "Starvation mode calorie levels", and yet, here I am, still losing weight, not in this fabled "starvation mode" people talk about.

TLDR: Starvation mode doesn't exist (Link me to a study that proves it does), undereating may cause binging.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    At least she looks more like a female that the muscular chick

I'd still choose the "muscular" chick.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    So you're eating a little over 600 cals a day?

No, you're not "eating healthy" and you should not keep doing what you're doing. If you keep eating this way, you're going to end up in the hospital or worse in the very near future.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Or this
    enhanced-buzz-3094-1283038148-28.jpg
    At least she looks more like a female that the muscular chick

Rihanna!
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I can't stress this enough over and over

As a female no less than 1200 cals a day as a male no less than 1800 cals a day

WHY?

your body goes into starvation mode which in the long run your body will store everything and cause MASSIVE weight gain over time, it takes your body a long time to get out of the starvation mode

you need fuel for the fire so to speak how do you think your body runs?

FOOD need it want it and its good for you!

But as long as ur hitting 1200/1800 and your burning 600+ your okay as long as ur not doing and burning like 4000+ cals a day and eating that little :D

there is some muscle that looks good then there is this.........

she looka like a man...... :noway: :indifferent: :sick:
    they creep me out >_<

Nikki_Fuller.jpg
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating 1200 calories a day you are fine. I would eat 1200 calories a day and not eat back exercise calories and I did fine. I would switch between 1200 and 1400 every two weeks and I am still alive and fine. I also burned as much as 1000 to 1200 calories a day and did not eat back exercise calories and I did not die or go to a hospital and I am completely fine!

I don't mean to be rude, because you and I are in the same boat, but it's not the same boat that the OP is in.

She has a LOT less weight to lose than we do, and eating a long way under your calorie limit when you don't have the same ah... surplus? is a completely different story.

Actually if I am correct she has more weight to loose than me I have 50 left to go and it looks like she has 70 to go but I am just saying she is not going to go to a hospital, which is what someone posted up above. I understand that everyone is different and I was just giving an opinion like everyone else.
  • jennannec
    Options
    OH GOSH! all this is starting to scare me because i generally dont eat that much in a day for the sheer fact i am at school and there isnt really easy access to healthy foods! ahh i am scared now!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I doubt that you'll gain weight, but you certainly won't gain health if you don't give your body enough good nutrition.
    And you might find that you don't lose weight as steadily as you should because your body may well start trying to work more efficiently in order to make the most of the low amount of energy that you are taking in.
  • jennannec
    Options
    so what do you think i should do to stop this from happening?
  • asmithson19
    Options
    Bump -
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try to eat at least 1200 cal a day. When I exercise that much I eat some of the cal for a total of around 1400 a day. If you are not hungry then stick with the 1200. You are doing great!!! :)
  • brush2000
    Options
    Wow, congratulations Sara. I'm just really getting into this fitness program and I'm gonna need some encouragement. Would you mind sharing some tips with me on your weight loss success. I need to lose 70 lbs. I had a baby last year and after she was born I put on an additional 30 lbs. I have no friends right now but hopefully we can be friends.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    drink a few slim fast drinks a day 200 cal a glass there is your 600 calories right there =]
  • jennannec
    Options
    drink a few slim fast drinks a day 200 cal a glass there is your 600 calories right there =]

are those tasty?
  • dalessandro12
    Options
    I'm new to posting here so go easy on me.....to the original poster, I do the same thing. I have my goal set to 2000 and that I what I eat, regardless of what I do that day.

Currently, I am training for a triathlon and often burn close to 1800 calories a day exercising (measured using a heart rate monitor cycling over 20 miles and running close to 5 miles). Does that mean I am suppose to eat close to 4000 calories a day? I simply can't do that. I don't believe in "making up calories" because I like to lose weight through the burning of calories....if I work hard for over 2 hours why eat them back? Maybe that is just me but I have talked with a friend and certified trainer and they say it is ok. Been sticking to this for over 2 months now and I feel strong at the gym, am gaining significant strength AND am dropping weight and inches.

I suggest you find what works with you and stick to it - as long as you feel good then more power to you!

Just my .02 cents
  • lala4u
    lala4u Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    sara look do wat best for u ok. cus none of these ppl are doctors or professionals ok. we cant do your journey only you can. they will give you advice the way they are doing ok. not everybody way is the right way for everybody else. i suppose to eat 1500 cals a day but sometimes i eat 1026 n sometimes ill eat under a 1000 n my dr say im doing good. he told me to listen to my body and dat wat i do. i used listen to ppl but i came to realize nobody can run my journey but me. so do wat best for u. if u think ur not eating enough then eat a lil more but if u think ur doing good keep going. there isnt a perfect way to lose weight. its only ur way. listen to ur body. thats ur real critic.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

/eyeroll.

At the risk of starting a flame war - If you legitimately think Starvation mode isn't a myth, I do ask you, care to explain Africa or Etheopia to me? How come they aren't all obese?

Thought so.

The worst thing that will happen if you eat to low is your metabolism will start to slow a tiny bit, and if you do it for an extended period of time, you may be prone to binge eating and gaining all the weight back. I've lost close to 105lbs now eating at what people would call "Starvation mode calorie levels", and yet, here I am, still losing weight, not in this fabled "starvation mode" people talk about.

TLDR: Starvation mode doesn't exist (Link me to a study that proves it does), undereating may cause binging.

I believe this is another example of where interpretation of a phrase can be the only debatable issue. (i.e muscle vs fat, no one cares we all know what you mean).

But you're correct, starving children won't become fat. Because the body does not have enough energy (food) to store fat (the body uses the minimal food it gets everyday and re adjusts how much energy it expends to fit this) That does not mean though, that their bodies work at a normal "first world" level, in other words their metabolism might only require 500 calories where we may require upwards of 2000.

Starvation mode is simply a term used in the weight loss world to describe the bodies natural function of maintaining homeostasis. So I suppose its just another way of saying : your metabolism has slowed down, so you are unable to lose weight as quickly as you once were.

It's a bit more complicated than this, but the details seem unnecessary. Eat properly, treat your body well or eat as little as possible it you want to look like a starving African child (your words, not mine:flowerforyou: )
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options

The rule is not to drink your calories unless you can't make your 1200 (female) 1800 (male) goal, I personally drink fit & active shakes from aldi's to jump my body now and then but usually I drink water or use my ninja blender to make a fresh glass of juice for a healthy snack :)

The fit & active shakes are only 170 cals and are loaded with protein and vits :)