Rice & Bloating?

Options
I've never been a big fan of rice so I normally do not eat it. Twice now, I've become very bloated from eating it. The first time, I prepared spiced basmati rice with chestnuts and dates for dinner. The next morning, I woke up in pain and weighed 9 pounds heavier. Over the weekend, I ate persian (saffron rice and kabobs). I ate the leftovers for dinner last night and woke up this morning with a puffy face and visible bags under my eyes. Today, I am 7 pounds heavier.

I know that bloating can happen with rice consumption but my weight gain is a bit extreme. Is there anyone else out there with this problem?

Replies

• BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I seem to get bloated and retain a lot of water when I eat bread (or any other refined carbohydrates). I get cramping in my stomach, and just feel ill, which really sucks because I love bread :(
    I usually don't gain more than 3 pounds though, so maybe something else is contributing to your bloating. Perhaps the rice along with high sodium intake is causing you to retain water.
  • inkleberry75
    Options
    Rice expands in the stomach...perhaps contributing to bloating...try wild rice
  • emmfullness
    Options
    Hmmm. That's an awful lot of bloating on account of rice. I've never seen rice alone do that. Are you sure it's just the rice? Was there added fat involved like oils, butter, or ghee? Or perhaps a lot of salt? Plenty of sodium will lead to temporary water retention. Add the rice expanding and that might do it. If not, you may just have a digestive intolerance for either something in rice or something that you use in its preparation. If you're really interested, you may want to check out your doc.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Wow! That IS a lot of bloat! Were the rice dishes pre-packeged with sodium? Or just from a bag of rice? That does seem like a lot of water gain for just rice. I guess it's possible that you are rice sensitive or intolerant? Flush with lots of water today!