anyone else have less energy??

Options
I don't know if I'm the only one but I feel shattered all the time! I've been here since February and to start with I had loads of new found energy but lately I'm just exhausted constantly!

I'm a sahm of three and spend most of my day clening and running back and forth to school (my middle one does half days) and my baby has just started walking and being a pain in the bum. I've been trying my hardest to stay under my cals but I tend to stress eat lately! Anyway I'm finding that lately whenever I sit down i fall asleep.

Is anyone else finding this? My other half says I don't eat enough red meat but I never have and I've never felt like this before.

Replies

• Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    well stress could have a huge impact on your energy levels. are you getting enough sleep? are you eating enough and the right combination of foods? If you are stress eating does that mean refined carbs or sugar? Unfortunately losing weight is just a part of the whole "journey" - you also need to take care of other aspects of your life for it to really work.

Just my opinion of course, I'm no expert.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm the only one but I feel shattered all the time! I've been here since February and to start with I had loads of new found energy but lately I'm just exhausted constantly!

I'm a sahm of three and spend most of my day clening and running back and forth to school (my middle one does half days) and my baby has just started walking and being a pain in the bum. I've been trying my hardest to stay under my cals but I tend to stress eat lately! Anyway I'm finding that lately whenever I sit down i fall asleep.

Is anyone else finding this? My other half says I don't eat enough red meat but I never have and I've never felt like this before.

You need to eliminate any crap from your diet, including any junk food and replace it with fruit, veg and stuff like meat, fish, eggs. Chicken is magnificent for protein, fish is good for the heart.

Don't worry about going over your protein, the protein levels on MFP are low anyway.

Cakes, crisps and any other stuff like that, just completely cut them out and replace with above. If you then find you begin to regain some of your energy you will know it was the high carb stuff that is interferring in your energy levels.

Although carbs are meant to give energy, sometimes they can make a person feel sluggish, you will not find out unless you do a little experiment and the only way to do that is to omit them from your diet for a week or two and see what happens.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I find exercise helps with my energy levels sounds daft but the adrenaline rush I get after classes is great

I also agree that anything starch like crisps, cookies cakes etc will make you feel worse
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Did you accurately set your activity level to reflect the energy expended in the life of a busy Mom? Also, be sure you're eating more protien than MFP sets for you, not necessarity red meat, but other foods such as greek yogurt, nuts, beans, fish, eggs have lots of protien. Make sure you'e not eating a lot of refined sugars to meet your calories. I also benefit from eating 4-5 times per day, small meals.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    I know when I don't rest properly or under eat and still have full days starting at 4am and don't end until about 7pm I can't hang. So make sure you are eating enough, working out, and resting!!!! I take melatonin to make sure the sleep I get is quality.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

You need to eliminate any crap from your diet, including any junk food and replace it with fruit, veg and stuff like meat, fish, eggs. Chicken is magnificent for protein, fish is good for the heart.

Don't worry about going over your protein, the protein levels on MFP are low anyway.

Cakes, crisps and any other stuff like that, just completely cut them out and replace with above. If you then find you begin to regain some of your energy you will know it was the high carb stuff that is interferring in your energy levels.

Although carbs are meant to give energy, sometimes they can make a person feel sluggish, you will not find out unless you do a little experiment and the only way to do that is to omit them from your diet for a week or two and see what happens.

'Eat this, don't eat that' isn't a good way to approach dieting. A less aggressive calorie restriction with a balnced diet (40/30/30 macros, correct ratios for most) would be far more sustainable and practicle. I noticed you daily goal is 1,300 calories, are you really sure this is right? You're a rather busy person you need energy.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Absolutely right! Make sure you are eating enough calories, but with no junk. Don't ever eat less than your BMR. Make any grains you eat whole grains, with no white sugar or white flour. And avoid that quick fix of junk food like a heroin junkie working to stay clean! It's perfectly fine to take a couple of days off from working out if you have been overtraining--sounds like your toddler gets you all the cardio you need! Maybe you could even make it a game to tire out the baby before the baby wears you out! Good luck
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I struggled with the same problem a few weeks ago. I had also hit a weight loss plateau. I upped my calories by 200, and I have more energy and have started losing again. Your body probably just needs more fuel. A car can't burn gas without having gas in the first place. Same with your body.
  • golope
    golope Posts: 54
    Options
    I have the same problem. I had to start going to bed earlier.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Sounds like 1300 calories is not enough. Mine is set to 1290 and only when I'm completely sedatery. I think you need to eat a lot more!
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm finding myself super tired these days! I've been doing this 30 days now, felt great at the start, but lately, I'm just wiped out! I work full time and have a 5 yr old son to take care of in the evening after work. I just feel like my life is nonstop! Squeezing in my workouts as soon as I get home from work, making dinner, doing laundry, getting my son ready for bed. I swear I don't stop until 10 or 11 pm or later and I'm exhausted!

I'm going to try like hell to get to bed earlier. But I doubt that's going to happen. It's actually affecting me waking up to workout in the mornings. I just can't wake up! I'm toast!

Is there anything that I can eat for extra energy? Or drink? Or avoid that's sucking the life outta me?! :)

I feel your pain!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

There is absolutely no research to support women "needing" red meat. I've read some iffy stuff about men needing it, but never women.
  • Di3012
    Options

'Eat this, don't eat that' isn't a good way to approach dieting. A less aggressive calorie restriction with a balnced diet (40/30/30 macros, correct ratios for most) would be far more sustainable and practicle. I noticed you daily goal is 1,300 calories, are you really sure this is right? You're a rather busy person you need energy.

The OP asked for suggestions that is all I am doing, suggesting she eliminate certain foods for a while to see if they are at fault. It is a thing that Nutritionists will sometimes suggest in order to try and get to the core of the problem. She is not at liberty to try my suggestion and I am not saying it should be a permanent change, just something for two weeks.
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Quick glance at your food diary: You eat a lot of carbs. Try focusing on getting more protein and less carbs!
  • Di3012
    Options
    Quick glance at your food diary: You eat a lot of carbs. Try focusing on getting more protein and less carbs!

This ^
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're not eating enough for the amount of activity you do. Try upping your calories by 100 or 200 and see if you have any more energy. I often find that a banana when I'm craving a snack gives me bags more energy. Also, make sure you're properly hydrated throughout the day and don't rely too heavily on caffeinated drinks to give you energy, if you do. They may give you a quick burst, but you're likely to slump later.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are not getting the nutrients you need. If you are not getting it from the foods you chose have you considered a multi vitamin and meal replacement/proteins shakes? It has worked for me!
  • Neequie
    Neequie Posts: 48
    Options
    Se your DR and get a hormone workup! Like have Dr check your thyroid!! THAT was what was my problem. Now I am on meds and it helps, but not a lot. Your hubs is on to something..you need red meat. I eat what I thought was a lot and recently found out my Iron is VERY low! Red meat is the best way to get high quantities. Increase your protein in general. My Dr precribed for me 88 grams a day! I never make my goal, but I try!! And Low carb protein shakes are a good source of protein. Like Walmart sells the big things of powder Body Fortress Super Advanced. I get vanilla and mix in chocoalte or strawberry if I want (Nestle Quick Sugar Free....BUT I also use the Crystal Light Powders to flavor my shakes. My favorite is Orange Crystal Light and the Vanilla protein powder...tastes like a creamsicle! YUM!!! Also when looking for protein powder look for WHEY ISOLATE, and no more than 20g carbs, Then look for 20g or more of protein! Im under the care of a nutritionist...and this is what Ive been told. ALL meals should follow those guidlines. Its hard at first, but 2nd nature after a while. Carbs will make you tired too....protein will also speed weight loss. Good luck!! :smile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    well stress could have a huge impact on your energy levels. are you getting enough sleep? are you eating enough and the right combination of foods? If you are stress eating does that mean refined carbs or sugar? Unfortunately losing weight is just a part of the whole "journey" - you also need to take care of other aspects of your life for it to really work.

Just my opinion of course, I'm no expert.
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS!