I need some good, healthy recipes... Please!

Options
I'm just starting to turn my dieting habits around, but I've been trying to do that with what is in my freezer... I started counting calories after I went grocery shopping. (Backwards, I know.) Today I'm working on my meal plan so I can get together a grocery list, but just looking at my recipes I can tell I'm not going to get very far with the cookbooks I have!

I have to eat a lot of red meat (for the iron) but we like chicken and fish too...
I need to get more veggies in my diet...
I love smoothies for breakfast...
I'm cooking for two (albeit disgustingly fit) normal American kids... tofu and hummus would not get eaten =(

I really hope you guys can help me out... cheesy sausage potato soup and homemade pizza are making my weight loss/ fitness goals hard to attain!

Thanks! =D

Replies

• Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to subscribe to a magazine called Cooking Light. It does a good job of providing recipes for brkfst, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc. I think their holiday issues are particularly helpful. I think this is a good place to start, and once you get a hang for techniques and new things you like you cd make up your own stuff.
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think you will love this website.
    www.skinnytaste.com
  • ivyslocum
    Options
    We like Chicken Alfrado in our house.

Put 20 ish oz of frozen checken breast in the bottom of crock pot (4qt)
    Mix 1 packet ranch dressing powder into 1 can fat free cream of chicken soup
    Pour over cx
    Set 1 block of fat free cream cheese on top
    Put lid on and cook for 6-8 hrs on low.

Cut up 1 large head of broccoli and steam
    Boil 1/2 box of thin spegitti (we like ours totally soft)

When crock pot is done mix in cream cheese

Put noodles on plate, top with chicken and sause, top with (or mix in broccoli) and enjoy

That should make enough for everyone. I divide it into like 5 servings and its only 300 ish cals
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks guys... this is a great starting point!
  • Froggeh
    Froggeh Posts: 148
    Options
    Low Calorie Vegetable Soup

6 cups broth (I found a vegetable broth, but a low-sodium chicken broth would work too)

Two handfuls of baby carrots (I diced mine but they're good whole too)
    1/2 large onion, diced small
    1/2 cabbage, chopped (I chopped mine into about 1-2 inch chunks)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen peas and corn
    1 large zucchini, diced (I cut mine in half then in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices)
    Basil, oregano, rosemary, and pepper to taste

Bring the broth to a boil. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes on MEDIUM-HIGH. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook on MEDIUM until the zucchini are tender (about 5-10 more minutes). Serve and enjoy!

Approximately 60 calories per cup

Feel free to add or remove any veggies you like/don't like!
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    Green Smoothies: fruit and spinach or Kale.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Apple Maple Turkey burgers

Ingredients
    For Maple-Dijon Sauce:
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons real maple syrup
    For Burgers:
    1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
    1/4 cup real bacon bits
    1/2 cup chunky applesauce
    1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    2 tablespoons real maple syrup
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Hamburger Buns
    Hamburger condiments

Directions
    Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking.

For Maple-Dijon Sauce: In a small bowl, stir to combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and 2 tablespoons maple syrup; set aside.

For Turkey Burgers: In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients for burgers. Wet hands to prevent sticking and shape into 4 patties.

Place burgers on hot oiled grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until done.

Serve on buns with traditional burger condiments and a dollop of maple-Dijon sauce.

Note - Indoor: Prepare burgers as directed. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot add burgers and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side or until done.

Calories Carbs fat protein sodium chol
    Per Serving: 268 17 11 31 348 10
  • tootie71
    Options
    Try going to this website: www.laaloosh.com. They have weight watchers recipes. I also found a great turkey burger recipe at prevention's website yesterday too. Best of luck. It's hard cooking to please everyone. There are three of us here.
    Tootie71
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Green Smoothies: fruit and spinach or Kale.

LOVE these!!!!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Start surfing. Lots of good sites with great recipes. I keep finding more and more recipes that I want to try. I print them out, plug them in to my food log and I'm already 1 1/2 weeks ahead with menus. Easy to grocery shop when I know what I'm going to eat for the next week. Some good sites:

www.skinnytaste.com
    www.biggest-loser-recipes.com
    www.hungry-girl.com
    www.cookingwithjax.com (good blog)
    www.weight-watchers-recipes.net
    www.kitchenparade.com
    www.bocaburger.com

I found 4-5 good recipes on the Special K food plan site too (www.specialk.com). I just find recipes, plug them in, and I'm good to go. I'm only at day 18 and I'm just now starting to do a few repeats that I tried and liked. Still lots of new stuff most days and I like that.

And red meat is not required for iron. 6 oz. sugar snap peas = 20% of daily iron, steel cut oats = 10%, shrimp = 25-30%, Cheerios = 15-25%, Boca burger or Chicken = 10-15%, LaTortilla flour torilla = 12%. Lots of ways to get in that iron without the red meat. I've had red meat maybe 4 times in the last 18 days....
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary on ways to squeeze in produce :-)
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE skinnytaste.com. I use there recipes all the time and try something different almost everynight. I also use ziplist.com and clip the recipes there so it creates a shopping list for me. It makes it so easy. I just click away and make a menu and then I know what I am going to be eating every night so I don't cheat easily.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i hate to be one of those people to plug their own stuff, but i have recipes posted on my blog www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/horror_hamster

I'm not a huge fan of the tofu and stuff like that, mine recipes are always made with everyday all-american things, so I hope you might find something yummy there :)

Otherwise I like skinnytaste.com, hungry-girl.com, and the skinny slow cooker on facebook.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Another vote for skinnytaste.com!
  • grt2b40
    Options
    Check out "Clean Eating". You can usually find the mags in the grocery store or go to the book store and check out the cook book. It's by Tosca Reno and has awesome, very healthy, recipes, including deserts. Good luck.
  • phlpsfamily01
    phlpsfamily01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking from diabetes cookbooks, kids still like it! My Fav so far because it's quick and easy

Honey Chicken Stir Fry
    1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 clove garlic
    3 tsp olive oil
    3 Tbls honey
    2 Tbls low sodium soy sauce
    1/8 tsp salt and pepper
    1 package frozen broccoli stir fry blend
    2 tsp corn starch
    1 tbls water
    brown rice-cooked

In large skillet brown chicken and garlic in 2 tsp oil.
    Add honey, soy sauce, salt and pepper
    cook and stir until chicken is lightly brown and juices run clear Remove and keep warm
    In same pan stir fry broccoli stir fry in remanining oil for 4-5 minutes or until heat through
    return chicken to pan and mix with veggies
    combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth stir into check mixture, bring to boil cook and stir 1 min or until thickened
    serve over rice.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Beef Stew

2-4lbs beef chuck stew meat cut into 1in cubes
    1/2 cup flour
    Kosher salt and pepper to taste
    3 cups beef broth
    1tbs worcestershire sauce
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 bay leaves
    6 small potatoes, quatered
    2-3 onion, chopped
    3 stalks of celery sliced

Directions
    Place meat in crock pot, sprinkle flour, salt and pepper over meat.
    Add remainging ingredients and stir well
    Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10hrs or on HIGH for 6 hours, or until meat is tender

Per Serving: 348 32 10 35 460 67

Pasta Fazzul

Per Serving: 390 72 4 19 668 18

Goya - Large Lima Beans - White- 1 bag
    Garlic - Raw- 4 cloves
    Celery - Raw- 3 stalks
    San Marzano - Whole Peeled Tomatoes , 14.5 oz
    Generic - Salt Pork, 2 oz
    Barilla-Gianni - Rigatoni Pasta, 1 container
    B&g - Hot Pepper Rings Slices, 8 oz

Soak beans in water for 10-15 mins, rinse. Place beans, garlic, celery, and salt (to taste) in 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Keep at constant boil for 1hr. Add water if needed

Add tomatoes, crushing as adding. Cook add'l 1.5hrs. Cut salt pork into small cubes and fry in separate pan and than add to sauce.

Once beans have softened add in uncooked macaroni and cook until firm. About 10mins

Or skinnytaste.com has chicken rollatini stuffed with ricotta and spinach alla parm and its amazing and only 195 calories
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    You can start with label reading (I know sucks) but you can have two items on the shelf and one is a better choice. For instance, it's a bit more expensive but we don't buy ground beef unless it's at least 93/7 and sometimes I can find 95/5, you do have to add some moisture, we use onions a lot, if you shred them in a food processor they don't have a super strong onion taste. Do some research on your other cuts of meat, look for ones that are lower in fat.
    Veggies can be made attractive even to kids, homemade pizza with lots of veggies and uncured pepperoni is a good choice. Stir fry, grilled, you don't need to add a lot of salty stuff, try Mrs Dash marinades, I use it all the time and my salt loving friends still love the grilled veggies with Zesty Garlic and Herb (not tons of calories either)
    Seasonings can help a lot in making things more tasty, when you are cooking healthy. Less fat can seem like less flavor at first.
    Take a look at how much salt your family is consuming, there are a number of studies on sodium and weight loss, not excessively low since you are young and healthy but if you can get it down a bit it will help and your family will be healthier too, lol.
    I agree with someone's suggestion of Cooking Light, they also have an email list that gives you lots of fun recipes.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    Try going to this website: www.laaloosh.com. They have weight watchers recipes. I also found a great turkey burger recipe at prevention's website yesterday too. Best of luck. It's hard cooking to please everyone. There are three of us here.
    Tootie71

Thanks so much!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is my fave site!!!