What to do with a sweet potato?

Options

Replies

• vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    after they come out of the oven (or microwave), I cut it open and put one Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge and a tablespoon or two of plain greek yogurt and mash it up a little - it is SOOOOOOO good! you have to try it! i have it like once a week.

I'm going to try this immediately!
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I honestly just wash them, and poke them with a fork then stick them in the oven for an hour at 400F. I don't add anything to them, just cut them open and eat! I find they are sweet enough.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    sweet potato's yum! so full of awesome. Love them baked, fries, mashed, cubed with squash, anyway!
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    you can wrap in tin foil and bake.
    microwave for 5 mins or until soft
    slice as thin round disks and bake like chips (so good)
    slice like fries and bake with olive oil
    boil then peel and mash. (i love these whipped in my electric mixer with cream and butter! my kids do too! i put in pumpkin pie spices)

they are really good with nothing on them or with a little butter!
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    As others have mentioned, cinnamon or brown sugar. You can also make a sweet potato bake (roasted with cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar, I made some last night with squash), mashed sweet potatoes, sweet potato and black bean quesadillas, ect. ect. Google it and you'll find a million ideas.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Boil 'em, Mash 'em, Stick 'em in a stew

(that's it inner-geek, fly free.......)

Bwahaha, you got there before I did!
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Mash em with a little vanilla extract added to them! Yum!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    We either eat them plain or cut up as fries as other posters have suggested.

BTW, you can bake up several at once and keep them in the frig for a week, they can also be frozen and reheated in the microwave after they are baked. This saves plenty of time when it comes to making dinner.
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I can't stand sweet potatoes any sweeter than they already are-- it's why I never ate them on Thanksgiving! Once I bought one to make myself, I learned how to do it *my* way!

Anyway, cut 'em into chunks, toss with EVOO, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400* for 45 min-hour. YUM!

Might have to try them in a microwave at work sometime! **off to find more details**
  • DarleneBDA
    DarleneBDA Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I put them in a cassole dish with green peppers , onions, garlic and a little bit of virgin olive oil and pepper... and bake them in the oven for 40 min... they are delicious... Enjoy
  • ghettosmurf999
    ghettosmurf999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can make a really nice sweet potato pie - except far too much sugar.

To be honest, bit of tuna mayo on top for lunch like a baked potato is pretty damn good.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    No recipe ideas, I usually just bake them and enjoy with salt, pepper and butter.... I'm commenting so I can look at these ideas later 'cos I'm loving what I've seen so far!
  • vilardip1
    Options
    twice baked...bake it, then gut out the insides, mash with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar; take the mash and put it back into the shell of the potato and throw some marshmallows on top...put it back into the over til the marshmallows melt and voila!
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I recently started using sweet potato. I make home made tuna fishcakes with then, adding a lil soy sauce, lemon and spring onion.

or I cut them in half and zap in the microwave for a bit. Then put a layer of sweet chilli, low cal cheese and two slices of bacon all stacked ontop... Gert lush!
  • sroloff
    sroloff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just put one in the microwave and added 1/4 tsp of brown sugar which was only 11 calories and it was yummy. The sugar melts when it's hot and so it's a great treat because it's sweet but healthly.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow the response is amazing ... ya'll love your sweet potatos lol

kvreeken -- Thanks for all those awesome recipes!!

After reading a few that use a "yogurt sauce", I think im gonna try a new recipe I just thought up in my head:

Cut the sweet potatos in fries & bake them (per everyones instructions lol) ... AND THEN! Make my own dipping sauce using plain greek yogurt (it has the consistancy & taste like sour cream to me) mixed with some honey, cinnamon & a little salt ... mmmhmm i cant wait to go home & make them tonight =)
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I'm with everyone else on the sweet potato fries! I usually put garlic salt and a little cumin on mine. I also like to make sweet potato soup. Just boil a peel and cube a couple of sweet potatoes and one regular potato in some veggie or chicken stock and the toss them in the blender. Add a dab of sour cream when serving. Yum! I also love to slice sweet potato and regular potato very, very thin with a mandolin and layer them in a baking dish with salt, pepper and a little oil. Then bake. Another way I love sweet potatoes is a little weird. I bake them a head of time and put them in the fridge. Then I dice them with a little cottage cheese, salt and pepper and then I eat this with plain tuna. There is something about the combination of cool, sweet, tangy and salty that is so good!
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I recently started using sweet potato. I make home made tuna fishcakes with then, adding a lil soy sauce, lemon and spring onion.

or I cut them in half and zap in the microwave for a bit. Then put a layer of sweet chilli, low cal cheese and two slices of bacon all stacked ontop... Gert lush!

hmm you add them in the tuna fishcakes?? do you still get the "savory-ness" of the dish too?? that actually sounds really good
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Ive never been a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but I went out on a limb and tried sweet potato fries when I was in Dallas in November- and OMG, I'm hooked. They were served drizzled with honey (which people have mentioned) and blue cheese. I'm a cheese freak, so this was an awesome taste contrast and I loved it.
    However, I made baked sweet potato fries at home last weekend and just used seasonings and they were tasty, too.

1 egg white plus 1 tbs EEOO, 1 tbs cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 garlic powder or salt, dash cayenne-- mix all in bottom of large bowl to make a paste. Add chopped potatoes (I tried using "fry" shapes but my knives apparently aren't sharp enough) and toss to coat, dump onto baking sheet and bake at 400 for about 30 min.
    Serve with ketchup, or a light salad dressing (I picked caesar), drizzled with honey, or plain.

Enjoy!