What to do with a sweet potato?

Options
13»

Replies

• flash2009
    flash2009 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bake mine and flavour them sweet and spicy. Slice and toss in a bit of olive oil, garlic, and brown sugar and a good bit of cumin and pepper.
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato fries dipped in apple butter!! mmmm
  • Yvonna59
    Options
    When I bake sweet potatoes, I like to bake a couple extra ones. These I place in the refrigerator overnight and in the morning I take the skin off and slice them. Then I put the slices in a pan and fry them until they are slightly crunchy on the outside. You can use butter or some other type of oil to keep them from sticking, but this is my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes. They taste like candy!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I'm with everyone else on the sweet potato fries! I usually put garlic salt and a little cumin on mine. I also like to make sweet potato soup. Just boil a peel and cube a couple of sweet potatoes and one regular potato in some veggie or chicken stock and the toss them in the blender. Add a dab of sour cream when serving. Yum! I also love to slice sweet potato and regular potato very, very thin with a mandolin and layer them in a baking dish with salt, pepper and a little oil. Then bake. Another way I love sweet potatoes is a little weird. I bake them a head of time and put them in the fridge. Then I dice them with a little cottage cheese, salt and pepper and then I eat this with plain tuna. There is something about the combination of cool, sweet, tangy and salty that is so good!

okay, last one. I like to cube them with other root veggies (carrots, beets, potatoes...) and acorn squash or butternut squash. Toss it all with a little olive oil and Lipton onion soup mix and then roast. This is a dinner party favorite! I might have a sweet potato addiction.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe for Sweet Potato Scallop (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1946,134187-240195,00.html) which I've made a few times; it's very good and reheats well. (I add extra pepper and ginger :-)

SCALLOPED SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
    Printed from COOKS.COM

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,191,134187-240195,00.html
    Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

6 medium sweet potatoes
    2 medium onions
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    salt

In 5-quart saucepot, add unpeeled sweet potatoes and enough water to cover. Boil, then reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are just fork-tender but not soft, about 20 minutes; drain. Cool sweet potatoes until easy to handle.
    Meanwhile, slice onions 1/4 inch thick. In 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in hot vegetable oil, cook onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt until tender, stirring occasionally.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 13x9" baking dish. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. In bottom of baking dish, arrange one-third of sweet potatoes; sprinkle with half of onions. Place half of remaining sweet potatoes over onion layer, then top with remaining onions.

Arrange remaining sweet potatoes over onions.

Make sauce (see below). Pour sauce over potatoes in baking dish; sprinkle with parsley.

Bake 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and mixture is heated through. If you like, broil 1 minute to brown top of potatoes slightly.

Makes 6 accompaniment servings.

Sauce:

2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley

In 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour, ginger, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt until blended; cook 1 minute.
    Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and thickens slightly.

Here is my estimate for the nutritional content (8 good sized servings)

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
    Sweet potato - Cooked, boiled, without skin (Sweetpotato), 2000 g 1,520 354 3 27 50 115
    Onions - Raw, 490.0 g 206 50 0 5 7 21
    Oil - Vegetable, canola, 3 tbsp 371 0 42 0 0 0
    Butter - Salted, 2 tbsp 204 0 23 0 0 0
    Robin Hood - All-Purpose Flour, 1/8 cup 50 11 0 2 1 0
    Spice Islands - Asian Ginger - Powdered, 1 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Marcum - Black Pepper-Coarse Ground, 1/4 tsp 5 1 0 0 0 0
    Fan - Fresh Parsley - Chopped (1/4 C), 1/4 c 6 1 0 1 1 1
    Cerulean Seas - Course Crystals Salt, 1/8 tsp (1.2)g 0 0 0 0 0 0

Total: 2362 417 68 35 59 137
    Per Serving: 295 52 9 4 7 17
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Boil 'em, Mash 'em, Stick 'em in a stew

(that's it inner-geek, fly free.......)

*hugs* :flowerforyou:

Caramelized onion sweet potato patties:

1 Cup of onion
    2 med sweet potatoes
    margarin
    olive oil
    salt & pepper

Preheat oven 375C

dice onions into small pieces, then fry them low and slow in olive oil, salt & pepper until caramelized
    peel both sweet potatoes, chop them, boil them, mash them (you can use margarine, salt & pepper)
    Once mashed, mix in caremelized onions.

Make patties with your new sweet potato mixture, place on a baking sheet, bake for 15 mins, turning once.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ive never been a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but I went out on a limb and tried sweet potato fries when I was in Dallas in November- and OMG, I'm hooked. They were served drizzled with honey (which people have mentioned) and blue cheese. I'm a cheese freak, so this was an awesome taste contrast and I loved it.
    However, I made baked sweet potato fries at home last weekend and just used seasonings and they were tasty, too.

*drool* ... blue cheese <3 oh man ... the sweet & salty must be amazinggg .. ugh i want them right now haha .. and its only 9AM! LOL
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Besides the ideas about butter & cinnamon which I also love - Slice up and use in stir fry; add to curry; roast with other vegies - roll in a little olive oil, lots of fresh ground pepper, a little salt.

Sweet potatoes are lower GI than white potatoes so are better for you.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    drizzle some raw honey and cinnamon on them .. cut up like fries too and pam spray and bake ... i eat mine plain usually with the skins on and some cinnamon
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes, but this recipe is AWESOME!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Crispy-Caribbean-Veggie-Wraps
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Found a recipe I really like.

Toss them in EVOO, throw in chopped red onion or whatever onion, and sprinkle with lemon pepper and bake as usual. Savoury rather than sweet...very yummy!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    after they come out of the oven (or microwave), I cut it open and put one Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge and a tablespoon or two of plain greek yogurt and mash it up a little - it is SOOOOOOO good! you have to try it! i have it like once a week.

I'm trying this TODAY!!
  • Slo83
    Slo83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just squeeze on a little fresh orange juice.
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like to microwave up a sweet potato and have it with just the same toppings as you'd have on a normal baked potato, my faves toppings are prawns, or tuna mayo, or cheese and baked beans, yummo!

Mashed with carrot, and/or potato is also yum.
    Cut into wedges or chip shapes, toss in a smidge of oil, seasoning and some light breadcrumbs, and roast.
    Sweet potato in curry (either in place of meat or as well as) is also fab.

Defo one of my favourite veggies!
  • nwilson1213
    nwilson1213 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am trying to widen my eating horizon and love these great tips for sweet potatoes. Thanks!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My family likes Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger

Here's the link to the recipe
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-sweet-potato-with-ginger-soup/
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump

Some of these are really delicious sounding, got to try them :happy:
  • twoscimitars