Eating 1200kcals and exercising everyday for 1 month...no we

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How much did you lose? Unless you have a lot of weight to lose, 10 lbs in one month is unrealistic. Even with a lot to lose it's pretty aggresive.

Exercising that much and eating so little is probably not going to be sustainable for long. Your body need fuel to function properly.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Someone please help me, i have been eating 1200kcals a day since christmas (apart from my bday weekend 20th jan) and i exercise everyday for atleast an hour sometimes two hours, either an aerobic class, strength class, swimming or general gym workout. What am i doing wrong? its so depressing i was hoping to lose 10lb atleast this month x
    You did what so many of us have done: self-sabotage....:cry:

2 things - not enough food intake - not enough rest between workouts.

You are getting some good feedback here.
    Consider some slight modifications and PUNCH THROUGH THAT WALL!

You can do this.
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to invest in a HRM. It will give you a far more accurate measure of the calories you are burning.

If you are living an active lifestyle, 1200 calories are too low to sustain you. You need to eat more. Consider a high-protein, low-carb diet.

If you follow the same routine and do the same exercises at the same intensity, your body will adjust to it and become more efficient. You should also consider increasing the intensity of your routines, adding weight training and changing from 7 days a week to 5 days a week, with rest days planned. The rest day gives your muscles time to heal and become stronger, allowing them to burn ore calories.

Lastly, look into HIIT for your exercise routine.
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree

It is probably that you are not eating enough for the amount you are exercising. You could also change your goal to lose 1lbs a week. Usually the 2lbs a week is intended for people who are trying to lose 100+ make sure you are gettinfpg an accurate reading of calories burned when exercising. You may have to get a heart rate monitor for this. Also try eating back at least half your exercise calories. You have to at least net 1200 and MVP does not include exercise until you do it. Really I think you may need to up the calorie in take and you should see a lose. Good luck and hope this helps.
  • 13Natty
    13Natty Posts: 57
    Options
    Wow Great job!! I think you are doing such an amazing job! I have know idea but you must be hungry??? You have such a diverse and amazing exercise routine. I am a treddy and am going to start on the swimming for the upper body. Good luck to you and your plans.
    Nat
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    As posted above-eat more! Or zig zag your calories to create the same deficit eating 1200 every single day would-keep your body guessing.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It is probably that you are not eating enough for the amount you are exercising. You could also change your goal to lose 1lbs a week. Usually the 2lbs a week is intended for people who are trying to lose 100+ make sure you are gettinfpg an accurate reading of calories burned when exercising. You may have to get a heart rate monitor for this. Also try eating back at least half your exercise calories. You have to at least net 1200 and MVP does not include exercise until you do it. Really I think you may need to up the calorie in take and you should see a lose. Good luck and hope this helps.
    ^^^^^
    THIS!
  • fightingautism
    Options
    Try stopping some of the carbs in exchange for more protein. Stop drinking diet sodas/artificial sweeteners. Increase your caloric intake by 200 calories. Get plenty of sleep each night.
  • wvbuckeye
    Options
    All of the ideas are great, but I would read into caloric cycling. When you hit a plateau like you have, I would look at increasing my calories by about 300 calories a day. Play around with your protein, carbs and fat intake. Trick your body up. Confuse it. I think this will help alot. Read up on these things before you apply them though.
  • DuckieMom
    DuckieMom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has made some good suggestions, I just want to add a thought about sodium. I was just reading one of Jillian Michael's books and she was mentioning how damaging salt can be to your weight. Check the amounts on your soup and salmon...also try to minimize (or do without the salt) on those fries. I think if you do this you will see a difference on the scale.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Working out WITHOUT sustaining the energy needed to do it and supply the body for regular function is usually an error on the newbie.
    EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skinny4summer12
    Options
    Thanks for your replys everyone i will try upping my calories my about 300 and see how i go...

as for the carbs - i tries very little carbs but by teatime i was so tired and had no energy for exercise which is why i started adding the tuna pasta in at lunch

this losing weight is so hard...and im trying so hard ha

thanks so much
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Use the tracker... if it adds calories to your goal due to exercise you should eat them, at least a good portion of them.
  • glenclewis
    glenclewis Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough and your fat loss will slow way down. You must eat more with the exercise your doing. Push calories to 1500 with the same exercise your doing. This will give your body the nutrition and fuel it needs to exercise and you will begin losing weight again. I could be more detailed if I knew your age, weight, etc.....
  • karenyg
    karenyg Posts: 79
    Options
    Sounds like you are burning off most of the calories you intake, so your body stays in starvation mode as long as it stays there you won't loose the weight. Are you logging you meals and workout here in MFP. Have you measured your waist, hips, neck? you maybe loosing inches which does not always show on the scale.
  • ursula71
    Options
    You really should try to eat more and incorporate more protein into your diet. Also...how much weight training are you doing? As good as all that cardio is you really should be adding some serious weight training in 3 x per week. Some people shy away from the weights but they will really help drop the pounds - I see you have gym listed on your weekly schedule but what are you working when you get there are you focusing still more on cardio or are you getting some good weight training in?
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Try also more veggies. The day that I started eating more veggies and and maybe less dairy/meat/carb/fruit the more weight i lost. It was REALLY hard to change that, and I still love fruits and carbs etc... and eat them... but its important to get a LOT of veggies into your diet. Also make sure you give your body a rest day. It needs to recoup!
  • Redfieldr
    Options
    How tall are you? Everything looks right, but if you are over 5'2"ish I would try bumping up to 1400 cals per day and see if it makes a difference.

If you are starving your body it make be holding on to the fat stores.

Then again... maybe you are building a lot of muscle and it's negating the loss on the scale.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    are you eating your exercise calories? are you drinking enough water?

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose 50 pounds too, I was 186 and 5'3" and in one month I lost ten pounds. I also have 1200 calories but I exercise and eat some of my calories back.. I have been watching my calories, fat, sodium and carbs and so far it is working for me, but I know your frustration being that this is my hmmm millionth diet I have been on!!! I have been trying to do some sort of weightlifting (my favorite is p90x shoulders and arms) and I feel that helps, also KOGA which is a mix between kickboxing and yoga where you can burn 50o calories or more and the dvd is only 36 minutes long! If you are interested it is sold online and not that expensive...."it burns, it works". if you want to friend me and check out what i eat and chat feel free:-) Good luck to you! :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!