controversial? 10 fitness facts everybody gets wrong

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah number 4 is off.

If you look a Jay Cutler, Dave Tate, Wendler, and Ronnie Coleman, these guys eat 7,000+ calories, just to stay big. Their muscular bodies need all the extra food, if they started eating even just 3,000 calories, they would lose fat and muscle mass.

I don't think he's saying that athletes don't need to eat a lot, he's just saying exercise doesn't actually make you hungrier than you'd be if you didn't exercise.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Exercise is generally an appetite suppressant.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    While I can agree with most of the list, the part I disagree with is the weight lifting doesn't burn calories part. True, you don't burn a ton during the weight lifting itself, but the after burn from the metabolic repair is much greater than cardio. Does it burn more total? Probably not, but the changes to body composition from weight training are much greater than the changes from all cardio.

Also, I like how the author stated that adding muscle does nothing to speed up your metabolism, but losing fat will slow it down. Muscle is about twice as metabolically active as fat, so it stands to reason that if losing fat slows your metabolism down, adding muscle WILL speed it up. (No, muscle doesn't burn 50 calories per pound like some people claim, but it does burn 6 or 7, compared to 2-3 for fat.)

I think the point is that, in the grand scheme of things, the difference between the two is not that much. Given that fact that most people are not going to gain 30 or 40 pounds of muscle, the effect of "muscle raises metabolism" is grossly over hyped IMO, esp when it's parroted by idiots like JM while they are doing shoulder presses with 3lb weights.

Having said that (and by doing so, perpetuating the nonsense myself), I think the whole argument is pointless. Regardless of the mechanism, lifting weights is an essential part of permanent losing weight and an essential part of a fitness program.

Quite frankly, it doesn't need any more justification than that.

I can agree with that, but, in my opinion, when writing any kind of article, especially one intending to inform, I think it's rather important to be consistent and not contradict yourself, as that just confuses the reader.
  • catlady100
    Options
    Exercise is generally an appetite suppressant.

I generally feel more hungry after a hard cardio workout. Is it all in my head?
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yeah number 4 is off.

If you look a Jay Cutler, Dave Tate, Wendler, and Ronnie Coleman, these guys eat 7,000+ calories, just to stay big. Their muscular bodies need all the extra food, if they started eating even just 3,000 calories, they would lose fat and muscle mass.

I don't think he's saying that athletes don't need to eat a lot, he's just saying exercise doesn't actually make you hungrier than you'd be if you didn't exercise.

I was talking about how the metabolic rate doesn't change, these men obviously need more just to maintain. They've changed their metabolic needs over time.
  • ktaft77
    ktaft77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great article! Thanks for posting, I especially like # 8:

Burning calories is just about the least important thing exercise does. Far more important is what is known as a “training effect.” Exercise has the ability to make you stronger, faster, more agile, and more flexible. It can make you more skilled at various sports and enhance your cognitive capabilities. It also enhances immune function and promotes longevity.

This is the biggest reason I am trying to get in shape again! The weight loss will be a huge bonus, but its been a long time since I felt really healthy and that means more to me than being a smaller size.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I really, really get tired of hearing "this is wrong, this is right" when it comes to losing weight. I'm not in the greatest mood, but there's just too much information, and worse, misinformation out there.

Well, this stuff in this article is correct and on the cutting edge of nutrition and exercise science. It is as correct as anything we have right now.
  • Bradyns
    Bradyns Posts: 22
    Options
    #10 -- All it has convinced me to do is start taking smack...

#9 -- Not to mention the assisted RMR <3 Losing fat while you aren't exercising has never been easier!

#8 -- Catabolism [burning fat], isn't the best way to build muscle... Anabolism is the muscle builder!!!

#7 -- Is pretty true, it's all about the caloric deficit; if you are doing some intense exercise, carbs can be useful.

#6 -- Eat ALL the protein!

#5 -- This is where HIIT is brilliant!

#4 -- Mind over matter!

#3 -- Force = Mass x Acceleration (The more you weigh, the more force you need to apply to get from A to B)

#2 -- Recommend checking with your GP..

#1 -- Sexercise is the best form of exercise. ;D
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yeah number 4 is off.

If you look a Jay Cutler, Dave Tate, Wendler, and Ronnie Coleman, these guys eat 7,000+ calories, just to stay big. Their muscular bodies need all the extra food, if they started eating even just 3,000 calories, they would lose fat and muscle mass..

Those guys are juicing. Don't for a minute think that their lifestyle is comparable to yours, unless you are on an anabolic steroid regimen.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yeah number 4 is off.

If you look a Jay Cutler, Dave Tate, Wendler, and Ronnie Coleman, these guys eat 7,000+ calories, just to stay big. Their muscular bodies need all the extra food, if they started eating even just 3,000 calories, they would lose fat and muscle mass..

Those guys are juicing. Don't for a minute think that their lifestyle is comparable to yours, unless you are on an anabolic steroid regimen.

Currently? no.

Regardless of their steroid use, even natural power lifters and body builders STILL need more calories just to maintain weight.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yeah number 4 is off.

The human body is not meant to look like that.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I find it to be spot on with everything I have learned in nutrion and nursing classes. and as a side note, low carb diets are scary, you need carbs for your brain to function people!!!!

Nice read, thanks.

So....this means I need to eat chocolate, in moderation of course, for proper brain function???? This makes sense to me :tongue:
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I really, really get tired of hearing "this is wrong, this is right" when it comes to losing weight. I'm not in the greatest mood, but there's just too much information, and worse, misinformation out there.

This. I ran (albeit slowly) yesterday and today. I certainly felt hungry afterwards. I don't even understand the argument that exercise doesn't cause hunger. If calories are burned during exercise and we gain calories from food, how the heck could one not be hungry after exercise?
  • jtverner
    Options
    I disagree with half of this article.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Very glad it mentions muscle not adding a whole load to your metabolism, because it doesn't.

Edit - in fact, I agree with it all. I've been saying all that for years.
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options

This. I ran (albeit slowly) yesterday and today. I certainly felt hungry afterwards. I don't even understand the argument that exercise doesn't cause hunger. If calories are burned during exercise and we gain calories from food, how the heck could one not be hungry after exercise?

I get hungry when I'm bored. I get hungry when I think I should be eating a meal. I get hungry when in the car for a long time. I get hungry thinking about food. Our body's need for food has nothing to do with being "hungry".
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I get hungry when I'm bored. I get hungry when I think I should be eating a meal. I get hungry when in the car for a long time. I get hungry thinking about food. Our body's need for food has nothing to do with being "hungry".

But your body doesn't need food when you are bored or in the car for a long time. These times would be more desirous than need based. Those things are not burning calories and energy. Exercise does thus the hunger.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Page 8: Exercising causes you to eat more

For me this is true. I lose weight when I'm not hitting them gym and I gain it when I am.
  • badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    Options

But your body doesn't need food when you are bored or in the car for a long time. These times would be more desirous than need based. Those things are not burning calories and energy. Exercise does thus the hunger.

My point was that anything can make you feel hungry. Exercising may make you feel "hungry", but does it really have anything to do with the fact that your body is really in need of calorie intake?
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Yeah number 4 is off.

I'm not sure I agree with number 4 either but these guys don't eat that much BECAUSE they workout, they eat that much IN ORDER to get that big. That and a pharmacy's worth of juice. ;)