Cookie Dough-holics look here (can be made vegan)

Options
Tenoreo90
Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
Found this recipe via Pinterest...I'll say this: It tastes SIMILAR to cookie dough, but takes on a taste entirely of its own (in a good way). I don't think this is for everyone, but it curbed my craving, and it's MUCH healthier than the ol' flour and eggs version. Plus you can give it to the kiddos without the fear of salmonella. ;]

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/27/new-recipe-sugar-free-cookie-dough-dip/

1 1/2 cups chickpeas (1 can, drained) (250g)
heaping 1/8 tsp salt
tiny bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
1 T plus 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup nut butter (You can get away with using only 3 T. If you use peanut butter, some people say it has a slight “pb cookie dough” taste, so you can sub oil if you don’t want that.)
1 and 1/4 cup pitted dates (I used SunMaid, from a regular grocery store)
1/3 cup chocolate chips (see link below, for sugar-free option)
2 T oats (You can omit)
nondairy milk as needed (depending on the consistency you want. I used a few T.)

In a bowl, cover the dates with 1/2 cup water. Let this sit for at least 8 hours. Then add all ingredients (including the dates’ soaking liquid), except chocolate chips, to a food processor and blend until very smooth.

I accidently only had 1 cup of dates, so I just used a little less of the chickpeas. I skipped the baking soda because I honestly didn't see the point if I'm not going to be baking them (someone please enlighten me if this is a stupid assumption and actually serves a purpose here). This is a good recipe for those looking to watch their sugar (ahem, hello. o.o). :]

Replies

• PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    This is really good ... I've made it before!
  • daves1grl
    Options
    will test on my 12 yr old
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this, chill it and cut it up to put in my protein powder banana "icecream". Yay for cookie dough ice cream!
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The baking soda is probably for the chickpeas. It softens them and makes them smoother. The best hummus is made by soaking chickpeas in baking soda! Who knew!
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    The baking soda is probably for the chickpeas. It softens them and makes them smoother. The best hummus is made by soaking chickpeas in baking soda! Who knew!

Thanks!! I guess I'll quit being lazy and add it next time xD
  • returningmyfatsuit
    returningmyfatsuit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the baking soda might also be for that tiny bit of baking soda-y flavour? Maybe that's my imagination, though!

For anyone who is a little scared of this recipe, the original *not sugar free* version can be found here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/

It's still made with chickpeas, and still healthy.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    This is quite intriguing. I may have to try this.
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    Just a note-after refrigeration, it tastes AMAZING! :D
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I need a good substitute.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    I made this tonight (the one with brown sugar). It was surprisingly yummy! More like peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough, but I love PB so I am happy with it. Excellent treat! :smile:
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've made the sugar one before and it was yum! She says somewhere in her blog that the baking soda is for the taste of real cookie dough and you don't need to use it, so I didnt
  • SlimmingSammie
    Options
    I think I'm going to try this at some point (:
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    How many calories is it?
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    How many calories is it?

Well that would depend on the ingredients you use and how you split up the servings.

I used brown sugar, almond milk, and added extra chocolate chips. I went by tablespoons for servings and it ends up being 47 calories per serving (if I did my math right).
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    certainly looks delicious