24 hour fast

Options
Ok I heard some people talking about fasting for 24 hours, just pretty much water and no calorie drinks. what are all of your opinions. Not saying im doing it just curious about it :-)

Replies

• I've heard alot of people mention it too and very curious!!
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see how starving your body for 24 hours would cause any fat loss... water loss, maybe... but the whole point is to lose fat. Just my opinion! :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a good idea. Will mess with your blood sugar levels etc and make you feel rotten I expect! Better to be balanced everyday instead. Probably would loose water but gain it all back the day after x
  • Alisi1234
    Alisi1234 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a good idea until you start to eat again!
    Think about when you have the flu. You lose weight but then gain it right back when you start eating again.
  • darina23
    darina23 Posts: 114
    Options
    I've done it every Friday during lent a few years ago. I have also prayed and drank nothing but water. For me it was more of a religious thing and it went relatively easy, I'm not so sure about doing it solely for weight loss.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. It will throw your body off. You would be much better by doing a liquid diet with some kind of caloric value to it. Maybe broth? Or throw in some raw veggies to the mix. If you deprive your body of healthy calories entirely, it will start to conserve energy. You will burn way more with some good (energy) calories.

But, I am definately guilty of trying that diet. You do lose water weight, but it comes right back on as soon as you start to eat again. Think of a dry sponge =)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    water-only fasts are amazing. I do NOT get sugar problems during a fast. I do, however, get sugar issues when I eat. There is definitely a reason that fasting has been done for thousands of years.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.aspx?Id=1996

http://drbenkim.com/fasting.html

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1834
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    I've done it before but only for medical reasons,not willingly I was having surgery and blood work the next morning and I was only allowed water in my system.

And the only thing that happened was I got extremely sick from it. So I dont see it as a good idea at all.

Your body needs food to function right, fasting for a few hours in one thing, but for an entire 24 hours is silly in my opinion.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if I were to do it, it would be best to keep me away from people and sharp objects.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    A once-a-week fast is pretty common in the Intermittent Fasting world. You fast 24 hours, then after the fast, you eat normally - you don't attempt to "make up" for the fast. It is pretty effective at teaching yourself about willpower - and your own body's needs.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    it would lead me directly to binging!
  • audddyy
    audddyy Posts: 21
    Options
    I did it for a detox once, my skin improved heaps and I actually lost a few kilos as I did a fast for 3 days (unknown to my parentals at the time as they would come home late from work), but I felt horrible had no energy and would be realy dizzy when I would get up and almost collapsed at dancing... so not sure if it was worth it... espeially if you actually have to do more than get out of bed!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if I were to do it, it would be best to keep me away from people and sharp objects.

This. I cannot do it, I literally pass out if I go too long without food.
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    I used to fast every monday............not sure why I stopped, but I always felt great the next day.