bump
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • snookms23
    snookms23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would say alot of carbs you need more veggies.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    At 5'8", I would be NETTING at least 1300-1400 calories a day ~ that doesn't include what you eat back in exercise calories (use a HR monitor to make sure you are getting an accurate reading, don't go by MFP estimates or machines). Also, make sure you get a rest day in there for all the exercise you are doing!

At almost 5'3", I lose weight netting 1300 cals + eating back exercise calories. If I eat less, my body tends to stall big time, or it backfires because I eat everything not nailed to the floor lol...:laugh: Slow and steady worked well for me, crash dieting just got me fatter...

Good luck, and hang in there!:flowerforyou:
  • fkbourne
    fkbourne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You probably are not eating enough and if you have been on and off diets a lot it takes your body longer to get the message that you are not starving yourself. If you are working out a lot you need to eat more calories than 1200
  • moca015
    moca015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and want to loose 50lbs as well. Here is what my trainer told me.

1) I am a "Sauce o'holic"! Don't use any sauces to compliment your dishes. Accept salad dressing...use vinegar and oil. And only about 21.5 ounces (that's half a personal package which is about 43ounces for a vinigrette dressing).

2) Workout in the morning. Do about a 15 to 20 calisthenic workout. I usually do a combo of situps, pushup, squats, etc. i increase the amount I do every week. Do this in addition to your a regular cardio workout. I choose a different machine every day.

2) Make sure you eat breakfast before you leave the house. Bread is not a good choice..but if you have to have it...eat wheat, and try to use only 1 slice.

3) I find that dairy products are not the best for various reasons...but mostly because of the hormones they are injected with. I use almond milk as an alternative. You can also purchase organic fat free milk if you have to have it.

4) Pastas, Breads, Rice, potatoes....don't help your weight loss goals at all. I would say try to cut them out. However, if you like Rice...I suggest purchasing Brown Rice instead of White Rice. Try to steam cook it and do not add any butter or salt. I like to add rice vinegar.

5) Cut out Banana's...eat more berries. Also, grazing on about 27 berries throughout the day can help build your matabolism.

6) Boild eggs are better..but don't eat the yokes.

7) Drink about 100 oz of water per day.

8) Purchase womens' one a day vitamins w/ matabolism boost. Also...B 12 vitamins will help control your brain and nervous systems...which could possibly help to control your hormones and contribute to your weight loss goals.

I have been loosing about 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. I hope this helps you.
  • Amberelise40
    Amberelise40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a friend trying to lose weight who was doing really well with her eating and excerise, but could not drop the pounds. Turns out she was chugging a liter of gatorade a day plus various fruit juices and sodas. Are you counting your liquid calories, too? It seems obvious, but sometimes people forget.
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I gained the weight I am trying to lose now, it took like 4 yrs to gain and I got up to 203 lb, I was eating little and exercising a lot.

Later, I found out that I cannot tolerate wheat/gluten, corn, potatoes, tapioca, rice...etc Ask a doctor to help you with elimination diet and/or food sensitivity testing. Those foods caused me bloating and lots of weight gain.

When I cut these foods out, my body started losing the weight. I am close to my goal weight and feel I have to keep my cals really low in order to lose. For me I think stress is preventing me from losing properly.

AIso, I try to eat mostly raw fiber also to clean out my guts...ie fruits, nuts and veggies.
  • ably65
    ably65 Posts: 41
    Options
    Get your micronutrients tested!!!

I have a very long weight gain story that I won't go into here. The relevant part of the story is that I gained 80 pounds and was continuing to gain and no-one could figure out what was going on. It looked like a thyroid disorder but my thyroid tests were normal. I kept exercising and was eating 1200 per day and still I slowly kept gaining.

Finally my MD ran a blood test for all of the micro-nutrients. It turned out my Vitamin D levels were almost nonexistent. When I began supplements I lost 30 pounds in less than two months. It turns out that thyroid hormone need's D to work. Now I'm having to work to get off the remaining 50 but at least diet and exercising are working.

Don't take D without first learning if you need it because it can be toxic if you don't need it. However, it would be a good thing to look into
  • Susajn
    Susajn Posts: 1
    Options
    You may also be building muscle which weighs more than fat....you are exercising a lot if 1 or 2 hours a day. Especially if you aren't that overweight to begin with.
  • Adrianabp
    Options
    if you eat about the same (LOW) number of calories each day, your body will adjust your metabolism. Consider varying the number of daily calories by up to 500 calories. Also don't go below the 1200 calories that you have been consuming.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    At 5'8", I would be NETTING at least 1300-1400 calories a day ~ that doesn't include what you eat back in exercise calories (use a HR monitor to make sure you are getting an accurate reading, don't go by MFP estimates or machines). Also, make sure you get a rest day in there for all the exercise you are doing!

At almost 5'3", I lose weight netting 1300 cals + eating back exercise calories. If I eat less, my body tends to stall big time, or it backfires because I eat everything not nailed to the floor lol...:laugh: Slow and steady worked well for me, crash dieting just got me fatter...

Good luck, and hang in there!:flowerforyou:

THIS! I'm 5'8 too
  • Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and want to loose 50lbs as well. Here is what my trainer told me.

1) I am a "Sauce o'holic"! Don't use any sauces to compliment your dishes. Accept salad dressing...use vinegar and oil. And only about 21.5 ounces (that's half a personal package which is about 43ounces for a vinigrette dressing).

2) Workout in the morning. Do about a 15 to 20 calisthenic workout. I usually do a combo of situps, pushup, squats, etc. i increase the amount I do every week. Do this in addition to your a regular cardio workout. I choose a different machine every day.

2) Make sure you eat breakfast before you leave the house. Bread is not a good choice..but if you have to have it...eat wheat, and try to use only 1 slice.

3) I find that dairy products are not the best for various reasons...but mostly because of the hormones they are injected with. I use almond milk as an alternative. You can also purchase organic fat free milk if you have to have it.

4) Pastas, Breads, Rice, potatoes....don't help your weight loss goals at all. I would say try to cut them out. However, if you like Rice...I suggest purchasing Brown Rice instead of White Rice. Try to steam cook it and do not add any butter or salt. I like to add rice vinegar.

5) Cut out Banana's...eat more berries. Also, grazing on about 27 berries throughout the day can help build your matabolism.

6) Boild eggs are better..but don't eat the yokes.

7) Drink about 100 oz of water per day.

8) Purchase womens' one a day vitamins w/ matabolism boost. Also...B 12 vitamins will help control your brain and nervous systems...which could possibly help to control your hormones and contribute to your weight loss goals.

I have been loosing about 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. I hope this helps you.

Thank you for posting this. It is all well said and I think it is all great advice...except for maybe not eating the yolks...you'd get your B12 without a supplement.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Someone please help me, i have been eating 1200kcals a day since christmas (apart from my bday weekend 20th jan) and i exercise everyday for atleast an hour sometimes two hours, either an aerobic class, strength class, swimming or general gym workout. What am i doing wrong? its so depressing i was hoping to lose 10lb atleast this month x

There is a podcast by Jillian Michaels on Myth Plateaus. I suggest you listen to it, addresses alot of misinformation about how to lose weight, what to realistically expect, but how to keep yourself from staling.

Anything over 1000c deficit is going to speed you to stall. It's about information, not just time in the gym.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat so if you started exercising from day one, you are probably putting on muscle weight. also, you may need to increase your calories depending on how many you are burning. when i plateau, i've found that bumping up to 1400 cals for a week then going back down helps jump start me.
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies on here, but here are a couple things to consider.

1. Eat more. You are not eating enough! eat closer to 1500-1600 calories especially because of all the exercise you are doing every day. Or tone down on your exercise for a few days. I know this sounds counter intuitive but if you cannot start eating more, then you have to cut your exercise to keep your body from going into starvation mode.
    2. Eat more protein. Eat eggs for breakfast. Add lean protein to lunch AND dinner every day. Try to not eat any carbs (I mean bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc) at dinner time for a few days.An example for dinner - 1 fillet grilled salmon with a large spring mix salad with low-fat dressing and 1 tbsp flax seed oil. High protein/low carb dinners will help you with your plateau.
  • delta77101
    Options
    I can see a couple of things that are off here - but I think most of the diet stuff has been covered so I'll focus on the exercise.

Lots of people seem to think that more cardio = more weight lost. THIS IS A HUGE LIE. The truth is that bodies are not made in the gym they are made in BED while you are sleeping. Exercising does two major things - it damages muscle fibres and it stimulates the central nervous system (increased heart rate, change of metabolic hormone levels to supply energy etc).

Mildly stimulating the CNS is good because it helps you build a stronger heart, releases hormones required for burning fat and building muscle etc - however hit it too hard and it does the opposite - it shuts down and stops giving you the energy to continue and you make no more gains in terms of fitness.

Damaging muscle fibres triggers the body to break down incoming protein and build up stronger muscle fibres than previously - just after a workout you are actually WEAKER than you were before, time is required for the body to make it self stronger.

The problem you are facing (besides eating wrong) is that you aren't giving your body time to either reset the CNS or build new muscle fibres. After a strenuous workout you should eat some quickly absorbed protein so your body can get to building new muscle ASAP and you should REST. You need a good 7-8hrs sleep every night and a FULL day off between hard workouts (cardio or weights) when you are starting a training regime and are out of shape. Over time the body will adapt and eventually 3-4 days a week will not be enough to keep shocking the CNS or damage enough muscle fibres - THEN you can think about training 5 days a week and how to cycle your exercise and rest to maximise your gains.

This is a mistake I see being made by both beginners and PT's giving advice over and over again. Less = more in terms of exercise at the beginning because basically anything will put stress on an unfit and fat body.
  • stephraposo
    stephraposo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    TOO MANY CARBS
    carbs raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar makes your body produce insulin. Insulin send the sugar to your cells to be burnt, however the body can burn only a certain amount of sugar and it's a slow process. Whatever carbs that are left and transformed into fat and are stored.
    Try limiting your carbs to maybe 100g per day
    Anyways I hope this helps
  • osorio1
    Options
    Bump
  • skinny4summer12
    Options
    Thankyou everyone, some great advice

i know people say dont eat carbs but i tried that and was so tired in the evening that i couldnt be bothered to exercise and also went very dizzy when exercising

however if i up my calorie intake then i will be able to eat more protein meals throughout the day which will hopefully give me more energy
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!