Warrior Dash - Best Way to Train (have you done it)?

Options

Replies

• jeanarae1983
    jeanarae1983 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did it last summer and didn't train at all. If you want to train, here is what you need to do:

*Run some cross-country. Include lots of hills and uneven trails
    *Work on your upper body strength. Most obstacles were reliant on being able to get over walls or pull yourself up.
    *Be prepared to have a ton of fun!
  • omna379
    omna379 Posts: 15
    Options
    A good training tool that gets you ready would be, lace up a pair of boots and find a good sticky muddy field and run across it back and fourth very extreme training. Good Luck
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I almost piggy-backed off another thread here, but thought this question more specific.

Anyone have suggestions on HOW to train for the warrior dash? I've dropped 40lbs and am doing strength training and some cardio but am in no way a runner. My cardio and endurance probably suck on an epic scale. If I can't run, would I be out of place walking part of it? My goal may to be just to finish.

If you haven't heard of it - check out www.warriordash.com. I have had friends RAVE about it - looks like a cross of a crazy obstical course, in the mud, while wearing a viking hat and drinking beer in celebration.

Im thinking my thread was the one you where going to piggy back off of lol but Im glad you posted cause im really into the idea I just wanted to see who else has had experience! Thanks again
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I ran the Warrior Dash last in the Pocono's (PA) last year and am doing it again this year. It's a great time and there are many fitness levels there.

Congrats on losing the 40lbs before I forget.

Weight training will help for some of the climbing and and barricade obstacles but I would at least do some jogging. Walking 3 miles going from obstacle to obstacle can take a will but if you can do a light jog between each one you should be fine. The big thing is have fun with it but watch out for the turkey leg at the food stand that thing has a ton of calories.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Last year I did the Camp Pendelton Mud Run. I used P90X and Insanity to train for it and had a great time.
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do it here in Illinois for the first time but from what I hear, it's more for fun than any serious running. My plan is to jog most of it. If I'm paying $65 to do this I'd rather go steady and enjoy everyone getting dirty and having fun than just trying to get through it as fast as possible.

Where in IL?????
  • niffer0322
    niffer0322 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the WD last year and it really isn't that difficult. It isn't very long in distance and is VERY fun jumping over and through old cars...doing the slip and slide..crawling through tunnels. A bootcamp type of training is good or even crossfit. I do crossfit a lot so this type of run was super easy. Not very difficult obstacles..more fun than anything. We brought a waterproof camera and took pictures throughout the race.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    A few guys from the gym and myself are doing either the Warrior Dash or the Spartan Race in preparation for the Tough Mudder race. I've been doing a lot of cardio, 5ks on the treadmill and road. Powerlifting and also calisthenics(push ups,dips,crunches,P90X).
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of heights either but made over the wall without any problem, there will be plenty of people cheering you on to get over every obstacle.
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the WD here in Hawaii in March. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm also training for a half, so I'm not as worried about my endurance for running as I am for anything that might have to do with upper body strength......
  • healthycathy
    Options
    I did Warrior Dash in Mt Morris Michigan last year with my cousin. She trained for it using couch to 5k fitness program link here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and I trained similarly. Running 5 days a week, weight sets, pushups, and rotating Zumba Fitness Live video and Jillian Michaels cardio workout This was my first 5k and I was suprised at the number of runners that seemed to be beginners and were not consistently running during the race. Lots of costumes, and beer. I attended for the personal challenge of obstacles and time and found it to be a lot easier than I'd imagined it would be but that may be credited to being prepared. It was fun, but I commited to running it with her and found I wasn't able to do my personal best while also being part of a team since we were at different levels of fitness or whatever, I found myself waiting more than I'd wanted to. I'm doing my 2nd 5k this March with my daughter and we've agreed to not wait for each other since we both want to do our personal best. Just something I hadn't thought of previously...Good luck to you, and have FUN!
  • reforberg
    reforberg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash in WI this past October. I was already a runner, so I knew I could go the distance. I was concerned with the obstacles, but they weren't that difficult as far as having the strength to do them. However, some were a bit intimidating for me because of height and also because I am only 5' 1". Overall, it was an exhilarating experience and a lot of fun. I highly recommend getting a group of friends together to do it and just have fun with it.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    run on incline, interval training on cardi machines, weight training.

you will do great :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did it in colorado last year, it is a crazy obstacle course, the part that sucks is that the mud is pretty early on! so, for training I would say just be as strong and fit as you can be. It is 5k so you should work yourself up to running that (have you seen couch to 5k training program, I did that and it's great) but lots of people walk! you would not be out of place.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i did it in december (45mins was our finish time) and was/am training for a 1/2 marathon on 2/26 so i had the running part covered with my interval runs anyway, plus i had/have been doing new rules of lifting for women to cover the strength training part....i was very afraid i was NOT going to be able to do it even being in the shape that i thought/think i am...it was easy...well at least it seemed easy because of the excitement and the adrenaline while doing it with my friend...just keep doing what you are doing (work your upper body a bit more for the rope/wall work) and you'll do great...there were lots and lots of people WALKING at ours and i think we had like 7000 participants - i saw A LOTTTTTTTTTTT walking lol....
    you'll do great but most of all have a wonderful time and GET MUDDY for sure...
    denise
  • kristinraynor
    Options
    I really want to try it but it's a long drive from me! It is on my bucket list though! Good luck to all!
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    only meant to do 1 last year but I had so much fun that i signed up for a 2nd one in a neighboring state. You can definitely walk. If you have decent upper strength, no fear of heights and can run/jog/walk, you'll do just fine. Only training I did last year was running and I finished both in 30 to 33 minutes. MAKE SURE YOU USE A PAIR of gym shows YOU DON'T CARE FOR MUCH. they're going to be complettely ruined!!
  • Gilliamzoo
    Gilliamzoo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it depends on where you're doing it. I did it a couple years ago in Colorado and the first part was basically running up a ski slope. I did it with 2 of my friends and we decided to stick together, so when one walked we all did. I know I could have done it faster, but there's always next time. We had a great time doing it. Cardio is really the key to it, although a bit of strength training would be good too. Also, something else to keep in mind- mud makes clothes really heavy. So when you're planning your costume....and you have to have a costume....keep that in mind. Good luck!
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for the one in Ontario, Canada on July 21. Should be a lot of fun. There are lots of youtube videos if people want to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4kz6poULio