Warrior Dash - Best Way to Train (have you done it)?

Options
124»

Replies

• sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash in WI this past October. I was already a runner, so I knew I could go the distance. I was concerned with the obstacles, but they weren't that difficult as far as having the strength to do them. However, some were a bit intimidating for me because of height and also because I am only 5' 1". Overall, it was an exhilarating experience and a lot of fun. I highly recommend getting a group of friends together to do it and just have fun with it.

I am 5'0, so when I was looking at pictures I did start to feel intimidated. I'm doing WD with my husband and a couple of his co-workers so I'm sure we'll have lots of fun. Your post is reassuring. :)
  • AJDistel
    Options
    Doing WD in June in Ohio. My husband did it last year. He ran and did P90X Chest and back for upper body. I've been running for a bit now, but I'm gonna start P90x in March. Good luck to all the Warrior Dashers!!!
  • Kim1118
    Kim1118 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm thinking about the WD in MD this spring. I'm not a runner so I was a little concerned. I mostly Zumba and lift weights. I might try C25K to train for the running portion of it, but looking at other people's posts, I'm not nearly as concerned as I was. Sounds like a lot of fun!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    going to read though this when i got some time
  • sfh0wrd
    sfh0wrd Posts: 82
    Options
    So excited! My husband and I are signed up for our first Warrior Dash later this spring, and all these posts are making me feel better.

Thanks!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The Warrior Dash website actually has training spreadsheets available. If you go under FAQ, and then Training, you can download cardio and strength training guides for your activity level.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good idea of how to train... for such a race.
    http://toughmudder.com/training-prep/
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I dunno if this has been posted, and I haven't read through it, but:

Warrior Dash FAQ-How Do I Train?

http://www.warriordash.com/faq.php#

ETA: Apparently it takes you to the main page. If you click on FAQ and then Training, it's right there.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    It is broken down into 3 types of training:

Virgin Warrior, Casual Warrior, and Ultimate Warrior.

Under Casual Warrior is this description:

"You are the Casual Warrior - you try to make exercise a priority but your most consistent workout is making a sixth trip to the coffee machine. Hours logged in the gym have now become hours logged at work and late nights at the office lead to take-out dinners. Perhaps this is why your letterman jacket is a bit snug these days. You don’t want to win Warrior Dash - you just want to beat the guy wearing a dress. "

:laugh:
  • flyer7871
    Options
    I`m doing the Camp Pendelton Mud run in June. I have dome it once before. Being that your dash is only 3.11 miles. I would start with running 1 mile until you can do it without stopping. Then try 1 1/2 miles, and so on.. Go at your own pace. after about two months running 2-3 times a week. you will be able to do 3mi no sweat. Hell I could not even run half a mile when I started. I now run 5miles in about 45min.... Also i would recommend HITT . (sprints) These are tough, but will have you running fast , and getting lean. Do these 1-2 times a week. Mix it up with running.
  • Runchick262
    Runchick262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did it last Oct along with my 11 year old and 13 year old. You got this. From your post you are doing exactly what needs to be done. WD is cake walk compared to other mud runs. Have fun!!
  • danjdunn
    Options
    I did it last Oct along with my 11 year old and 13 year old. You got this. From your post you are doing exactly what needs to be done. WD is cake walk compared to other mud runs. Have fun!!

I was trying to find a dash to do with my kids, 12 and 15, but they all have 14 year old age limits. Was the race you ran with your kids a "Warrior Dash", or did they magically advance to the age of 14?!! Anyone know of any other similar dashes out there to do with kids?
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    My hubby and I did the Warrior Dash last year and are signed up again this year. My hubby was not a runner when he did the Warrior Dash, he had ran/walked 2 5k's beforehand. I have been running for a couple of years. I started strength training a couple of months beforehand. I must say you can do this race without any specific training. There typically isn't a lot of running because of the obstacles. At the one I did, we ran about 1/2 mile before the obstacles began. My hubby and I finished the race together because I had a mental breakdown on a couple of the obstacles so he talked me through them LOL. But it was extremely FUN and probably the most fun race ever. Well worth it and I"m so glad we registered again!! Have fun!!
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    My hubby and I did the Warrior Dash last year and are signed up again this year. My hubby was not a runner when he did the Warrior Dash, he had ran/walked 2 5k's beforehand. I have been running for a couple of years. I started strength training a couple of months beforehand. I must say you can do this race without any specific training. There typically isn't a lot of running because of the obstacles. At the one I did, we ran about 1/2 mile before the obstacles began. My hubby and I finished the race together because I had a mental breakdown on a couple of the obstacles so he talked me through them LOL. But it was extremely FUN and probably the most fun race ever. Well worth it and I"m so glad we registered again!! Have fun!!
  • joevennare
    Options
    Training for a Mud run or obstacle course race like Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or warrior dash should include workouts that are focused on strength, cardio, and race specific skills. I have competed in a number of obstacle races, triathlon, and ultra marathon and found this type of training to be most effective.

Your main training goals should be to:
    • Increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular and muscular stamina, durability, and mental toughness
    • Learn, execute, and improve efficient biomechanics of functional movements like running, lifting, climbing, jumping, and landing
    • Develop core strength and stability through functional, compound movements
    • Improve balance, lower limb strength, and muscular recruitment and coordination under weight-bearing loads

Look to include compound, functional movements like kettlebell swings. Train under a weight-bearing load, over an extended period of time completing resisted runs, sprints, hill climbs, and stadium stairs. Finally, train skills specific to the race including relative strength, grip strength, core strength/stability, dynamic, unilateral, and non-linear movement, transfer of force/power, and transport a load.

Some workout suggestions include:

Strength Training:

Bodyweight exercises: squat, lunge, push-up, pull-up, dips

Loaded bodyweight exercise: adding weight/an additional load to pull-ups and dips

Kettlebells: in the strength training category kettlebells are paired with Olympic or compound movements during circuits that incorporate a heavier weight and fewer repetitions

Cardiovascular conditioning: Even if you are not a runner or endurance athlete, cardiovascular exercise still needs to be factored into your training program. In addition to some longer distance efforts try interval training.

High Intensity Intervals: working at or near max effort to fatigue the muscles and lungs. Alternate between periods of all our effort and shorter periods of rest.

Example: 400m all out sprint followed by a rest period that is half the amount of time it took your to complete the 400m sprint. Repeat 6-8 times

Intervals/Hill Sprints/Track Workouts: Mixed work periods from intense effort to low/moderate effort.

Example: Hill sprint that takes 60-90 seconds to complete, then walking or easy jog to start line. Repeat 8-12 times.

Tabata: High intensity working set for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeated for 8-12 sets.

Example: Overhead kettlebell swings for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat 8-12 times.

Try implementing these strategies and feel free to email me at joe@hybridathlete.org for additional workouts.

You can get more info from my free download here: http://www.racedaydomination.com/free-download/

Here is a bodyweight workout to get you started!

Warm-up:

Jog@ 2-5 minutes

Lunge @25 yards

Reverse Lunge @ 25 yards Walking

Broad Jump @ 25 yards

Training:

2 Round

50x Step-up (each leg, add weight vest or resistance if possible)

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

3 Rounds @ 50 yards each movement

Bear Crawl

75% Sprint

Plank Crawl

Walking Lunge

Bounding Jump Squats

Do Work and let me know if you have any questions!

Joe Vennare
    Hybrid Athlete and Race Day Domination