Is there anything I CAN eat?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have lost more than 60lb total. I found that by having foods I couldn't eat I would want them more. Now I eat healthy but if I really want something I will eat a SMALL amount of whatever it is.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I think hes right.. the right kind of foods is key. I think a lot of people have missed the fact that you only have 7lbs that you want off, and in that case, what you put in is important and the healthy choices are key at getting those last pounds off. When you have a large amount to lose, its easier then when you have very little.. i would just look into "clean" foods JMO!
  • JLove2Zumba
    Options
    I agree with the girls above.. I eat anything.. I hate high protein Low carb restricted diets, I have seen so many of my family members lose so much weight this way, and the minute they add back some refined sugars they blow up like balloons gaining what they lost back plus some! I excercise faithfully 5-6 days a week.. I eat what ever I want.. Grant it not Mcdonalds, But if I was in a pinch I would.. I also eat pastas, breads, Peanut butter , I have 2 glasses of wine almost every night.. and I DO eat back my excercise calories.. I do weights and Cardio and I drink 8-10 glasses of water. I am friending you so that you can see my diary for encouragement.. I am not saying what I do will work for everyone out there.. But Its working for me.. and I am NEVER starving.. I have learned to "edit" recipes to make they healther and lower calorie.. Example.. Taco salad with Ground turkey instead of Beef.. You can do the same with tortillas.. They make smart and delicous brand 100 calorie wraps, you can put chicken in them with lettuce even throw a tablespoon of sour cream in there.. You will do great.. The minute you tell someone what they cannot do/cannot have you throw failure out before even giving it a try.. You will suceed your way, Not by doing what your husband does..
  • 62unfit
    62unfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 63 and have lost about 15 lb in the past 16 weeks...slow but sure. Because I've always been inactive, it took a while to get used to exercising but I walk, snow shoe or dance for 30 minutes every day now. I'm still only eating 1200 calories a day but that's a lot of food if it's whole grains, veggies, fruit and lean meats...my rule is to eat nothing that isn't good for me in some way. I've reached my original goal but want to lose another 5 lb...I'm told my weight loss was slower than most because I didn't have as much to lose. Don't get discouraged...I always figure I'm doing WAY more exercise and eating MUCH better than I was 6 months ago...and that's a good thing even when I don't see immediate results.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My husband is an Ironman triathlete two times over. By comparison, I am a slug. Through calorie counting and exercise I lost 30 pounds over the last 2 years and had gotten where I wanted to be. HOWEVER, over the last couple of months I have put back on about 7 pounds. YIKES!

At 45, I know your metabolism slows down. I asked the hubster the other day for some advice. All I got was, you need to avoid sugar, you need to avoid fruit because it has too much sugar, you need to avoid simple carbs so no more bread, you need to avoid excess sodium so you don't retain water, you need to avoid fat, you need to avoid protein unless its very lean. (NOTE: He works out about 15 hours a week so he does NOT eat this way!)

Is there anything I CAN eat besides lettuce?

On another note, he says that it doesn't matter if you restrict your calories to 1200 per day if they aren't the "right kind" of calories, you'll still put on weight. Is he crazy?!?

"Over the last couple of months ......." I don't think your metabolism slowed down that much (maybe check with your doctor .... menopause?). More likely you got got a little lax with your eating habits. Do you measure your portions or estimate them? Christmas is a stressful time for many people, and tons of food everywhere. I wouldn't make any drastic changes.

Unless you want to be a triathlete, you should be able to eat regular, but "wholesome" foods.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My husband is an Ironman triathlete two times over. By comparison, I am a slug. Through calorie counting and exercise I lost 30 pounds over the last 2 years and had gotten where I wanted to be. HOWEVER, over the last couple of months I have put back on about 7 pounds. YIKES!

At 45, I know your metabolism slows down. I asked the hubster the other day for some advice. All I got was, you need to avoid sugar, you need to avoid fruit because it has too much sugar, you need to avoid simple carbs so no more bread, you need to avoid excess sodium so you don't retain water, you need to avoid fat, you need to avoid protein unless its very lean. (NOTE: He works out about 15 hours a week so he does NOT eat this way!)

On another note, he says that it doesn't matter if you restrict your calories to 1200 per day if they aren't the "right kind" of calories, you'll still put on weight. Is he crazy?!?

I have very little to lose but I'm eating more than 1200 cals/day. Try working on one specific goal instead of trying to implement a bunch of new little rules/limits.

Here's a few links that talk about starvation mode, and a link to the Unofficial MFP FAQ Group. There's a ton of great information there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/396638-minimum-caloric-intake

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390234-does-starvation-mode-exist-and-what-is-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/474-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • DancingVe
    DancingVe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Calories in = calories out....

However, avoiding processed foods (white bread, white pasta, white rice, packaged meals, sugary stuff, etc) is probably just general good advice anyway.

I'm 31, and I used to be a "carbaterian" :). I've cut out a lot of the muffins, bagels, pastas, etc, from my diet, and I feel less bloated. I've upped my veggies and lean proteins significantly. I still eat fruits :). And I will NEVER give up chocolate. I still have cheat meals, and I enjoy my food. I just try to eat more whole foods than other foods, and I load up on veggies rather than loading up on other stuff. Oh, and "good fat" is good! You need good fat and protein to feel full and to function.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's sort of as simple as calories in/calories out. Physics is physics. The problem is that we're not perfect machines. The calorie unit says nothing about bio availability or what the body has to do process food. Being a little hyberbolic, I could measure timber in terms of its caloric content, but I'm not going to eat it.

For some people, their bodies respond a little more strongly to certain percentages of specific macronutrients. Some people really do have problems processing carbs, for example. The "calories out" portion of the equation gets a little fuzzy there because the process of deriving energy and nutrients might be hampered by biochemical oddities.

Here's the thing, though. Unless you have a reason to think you're one of these people, just try calories in/calories out first (factoring in any other health goals and concerns) and if you're concerned about maintaining muscle, eat some more protein and lift weights. From there if you're not getting the results you want, do some more research on your own which might include interviewing some nutritionists.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

... he says that it doesn't matter if you restrict your calories to 1200 per day if they aren't the "right kind" of calories, you'll still put on weight. Is he crazy?!?

I don't know if he's crazy ... but he's wrong. a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. one calorie from a carrot = one calorie from a doughnut.

what can you eat? whatever you'd like. just keep it inside your calorie goal for the day. sure there are things you'll want to avoid ... because they won't help you fit your whole day inside that limit. and you can find better snacks. munchies for me now are solved with two cups of various dry cereals. usually about 200 calories. air popped popcorn is 20 calories a cup. both better than potato chips. but I could also eat chips and lose weight, if I kept in my goal. (see the pattern?)

look, you are going to make some healthy choices along the journey. it'll be a process. just like the weight loss. but you can't lose 100 pounds overnight and most people can't completely switch their foods overnight. and you don't have to. last week? mixed in with my meals I think I had four pieces of pizza, a few fudge bars, some candy, some diet soda, some pudding, bread, pastas, even -- GASP! -- some fast food. I lost 3.5 pounds. I've lost 17.4 pounds since I started this, right about two months ago. and it's because I'm not choking down food I hate. I can stick with this. so please, please don't let your weight loss journey be derailed by people who claim otherwise.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start lifting heavy weights and you'll definitely be able to eat good meals and not worry too much about gaining weight.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    I hit 25 lbs down today, and I eat almost 200g of carbs per day.

It is all about calories in/calories out. Period.

I do not, however, recommend starting at 1200 calories per day. Slowly work down to that. If you are exercising, you need to eat those calories back.

Please read the following post I wrote for newbies for more information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss. :smile:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I don't avoid fat or protein. I merely limit my carbs to vegetables, nuts, seeds and minimal fruit.

I actually heat very high fat and moderate protein amounts and I am losing very well.

Eat fat, burn fat. Of course, lean meats are best if you are purchasing from grocery stores because the hormones and antibiotics that are injected end up in the fat.

I purchase farm raised meats, dairy, eggs and poultry. Most of my vegetables and fruits come from local Coop and CSA memberships.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I hit 25 lbs down today, and I eat almost 200g of carbs per day.

It is all about calories in/calories out. Period.

I do not, however, recommend starting at 1200 calories per day. Slowly work down to that. If you are exercising, you need to eat those calories back.

Please read the following post I wrote for newbies for more information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss. :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile: It's a great feeling.
  • nspear1176
    Options
    In some aspects I agree with him.. Not all calories are created equally! Eating say a 1200 cal a day diet is not that difficult (actually hard to fit it all in) If you are eating healthy calories that your body will use and not just store etc. Having said that there are alternatives to most everything! It is finding the tricks that work for you.. for example if I have say something high in sodium I drink extra water with that meal.. If I have something with a little extra fat in it I try to balance it with a high fiber food.. I do stay away completely from white flour, white starches/rice, and refined sugar.. but again their are some great alternative choices out there to get your fix on these! I disagree on the protien.. you need a high protein intake to help build your strength which is needed to excercise etc.. Lean cuts are really not that hard to find and still taste great, even add in a Turkey Sausage (With a big glass of water LOL) and you feel like you aren't depriving yourself at all! Skinny Cow has some great ice cream choices again, not something you should have every day, but a great reward for yourself on the weekends! There are so many options out there and everyones needs are different.. find what your weakness is and see if you can come up with an alternative that still satisfies you but is a healthier calorie intake :)

Exercise is a huge key.. calories in/ calories out.. As well as it tuning up your metabolism and other organs so that they function more properly so that you don't go back to your old self EVER! It's like tuning up your car so that it uses less gas etc.. the more tuned up your body the better it burns it's fuel :) The better you feel, and the longer you will be around to feel better!

Good luck to you! Find something that ticks with you, it probably won't be what ticks for your hubby like I said we are all built differently and think and feel differently!
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree with what pretty much everyone else is saying. I just wanted to add that I saw some preliminary studies from the medical world that suggest fruit doesn't have the effect on our blood sugar/insulin that was thought. the theory is about the fiber and fructose content or something. I love fruit and can't imagine denying myself of something so healthy!
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's sort of as simple as calories in/calories out. Physics is physics. The problem is that we're not perfect machines. The calorie unit says nothing about bio availability or what the body has to do process food. Being a little hyberbolic, I could measure timber in terms of its caloric content, but I'm not going to eat it.

For some people, their bodies respond a little more strongly to certain percentages of specific macronutrients. Some people really do have problems processing carbs, for example. The "calories out" portion of the equation gets a little fuzzy there because the process of deriving energy and nutrients might be hampered by biochemical oddities.

Here's the thing, though. Unless you have a reason to think you're one of these people, just try calories in/calories out first (factoring in any other health goals and concerns) and if you're concerned about maintaining muscle, eat some more protein and lift weights. From there if you're not getting the results you want, do some more research on your own which might include interviewing some nutritionists.

WOW!!! after months of reading these boards for advice, this is the sanest thing I have EVER heard.