Fruit Smoothie Recipes please!

Options
Anyone have any good fruit smoothie recipes that don't taste "tart" or "sour"? I made one this afternoon with strawberries, raspberries, plain non-fat yogurt, skim milk, honey and ice, and it was really tangy...I guess you could say. I like smoothies that taste really sweet but not tangy or sour. There is this little cafe' down the street from where I work that makes amazing fruit smoothies, but I think they are high in calories and probably not too healthy. Any ideas on how to make a fruit smoothie more sweet than tart? Also, dairy is not a must in a smoothie for me, so if you have any without dairy that would be even better! Thank you!!!

Replies

• abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would love to know some recipes! I love Tim Horton's fruit smoothies, but would save money and calories with something made at home. Hope to hear some good ones :)
  • terikhamdamov
    Options
    Hi there! I make mine with the following fruits/veggies:

1 banana (frozen)
    1/2 cup strawberries (frozen)
    1/2 cup blueberries (frozen)
    1-2 cups fresh spinach
    1 cup vanilla almond milk

Its about 250 calories...super delicious! Good luck! I think the key is really using a frozen banana!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Add a scoop of vanilla protein and a little milk (instead of or in addition to the yogurt). May help.

My smoothies usually have blueberries and/or strawberries, cinnamon, avocado (I know it sounds strange, but it's really good for you, and it gives it a wonderful texture), spinach, protein powder and milk or yogurt. I didn't use to put protein in it, but I've found it gives it a nice flavor, and since we're working out, the protein is great! :)

Also, you simply HAVE to check out this site: http://www.dashingdish.com/2010/03/i-cant-believe-its-not-a-milkshake/
  • Dattard
    Dattard Posts: 10
    Options
    I use frozen peach, strawb & banana (Dole) and blend in my bullet with a splash of pineapple coconut juice (Tetra Pack in ethnic aisle) and a tsp of ground flax powder, one ice cube.

No dairy, or sweetener. Taste awesome.
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump as i would like some as well.
  • myangel143419
    Options
    A great one that my husband and I like is 12 oz of V8 fusion light grape and rasberry juice, 1 apple, 1 pear, 2 bananas and a cup of ice.

Another is 12oz of V8 fusion strawberry banana light juice, a cup of lueberries, a cup of strawberries, one banana, and red grapes(optional) with 1 cup of ice.

These smoothies combine V8 that already has 1 full serving of fruit and vegetables, then adding whole fruit! Both recipes make a full blender of smoothies to share!!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I use 1 cup coconut milk, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, 1/2 frozen banana and 1/2 cup frozen mixed fruit. Add a few ice cubes and it makes a huge glass for under 350 calories.
  • summerlancaster
    Options
    I use 6oz vanilla yogurt, 1 C. frozen fruit (strawberries or mixed berries), and 4-5 ice cubes. Super low cal & fat free. You could add some protein powder too.

Another good one is 1 C. skim milk, chocolate protein powder, and 1 c. frozen strawberries. Yum!
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I make mine with the following fruits/veggies:

1 banana (frozen)
    1/2 cup strawberries (frozen)
    1/2 cup blueberries (frozen)
    1-2 cups fresh spinach
    1 cup vanilla almond milk

Its about 250 calories...super delicious! Good luck! I think the key is really using a frozen banana!

I do this but I put greek yogurt in and no spinach and ad a scoop of protien powder. I also use the mixed frozen fruit at Wal mart. Super yummy!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    i have use a banana, frozen blueberries,and milk
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Raspberry smoothie:

1/2 c. nonfat plain yogurt (I like Stonyfield, it seems creamy)
    1/2 c. frozen raspberries
    1/c. Trop50 apple juice

Blueberry:

1 banana
    1 c. frozen blueberries (I like wild ones)
    1/c. pineapple juice
  • nikkijay25
    nikkijay25 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A frozen banana will make any choice DELICIOUS!!! i also use a tablespoon of peanut butter sometimes. I add two cups of spinach to mine as well to get those veggies in.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The vanilla protein powder I use is pretty sweet, so usually a scoop of that helps a bit. Sometimes I use vanilla almond milk, and I've heard coconut milk is excellent as well. You could also try vanilla or flavored yogurt instead of plain. I sometimes make my smoothies with 100% fruit juice instead of milk/water, but I'm not sure that would help with the sweetness factor. Also, use bananas! They're really sweet and go great with pretty much every other fruit. Is usually use half of one in my smoothies so that it doesn't overpower the other flavors. I put sherbet in mine also because I feel like it adds a lot of flavor and usually not too many extra calories.

A typical smoothie for me contains:
    5-6 ice cubes
    1/2 c frozen fruit
    1 scoop sherbet
    1/2 c water/milk/almond milk/juice
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 banana
  • Runthismom
    Options
    There are a TON on Pinterest, message me w/ your email and I will invite you if you are not on it already. Also I have a few on my blog too www.runs4wine.wordpress.com
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I have a recipe out there to be shared - Deb's fruit smoothie. you can search for it.
  • kjmace
    kjmace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use soy protien 2 Tab., 1% milk 1/2 cup, frozen pineapple 1/2 cup, 1/4th banana frozen, add a little water and about a 1 1/2 tsp diet orange jello about 200 calories and tastes great.
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I use organic apple juice, frozen banana and any other frozen fruit that I have and/or sounds good including pineapple, strawberries, mixed berries, raspberries, blueberries.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of chocolate smoothies/shakes. If you like chocolate, there is a lot you can do and get that sweet treat!
    I use Soy Slender Chocolate Milk and chocolate protein powder. Depending on the calories I need or if it is after a workout, depends on if I use the powder and how much of it.
    To the chocolate goodness I add either banana, peanut butter, strawberries or raspberries. (Frozen or fresh. Ice or no ice.) :bigsmile:
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I made a yummy one the other night...

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1/2 cup canned peaches (in light syrup)
    1/2 cup frozen peaches
    add a handful of ice cubes until you're happy with the thickness

250 calories, really yummy! :)
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options