Weight Training Newbie Question

Options
I finally decided to go for weight training. My dear husband got me some nice weights a couple of days ago. My target areas are upper arms, core, and thighs.

Question 1: how long am I supposed to do each time?

Question 2: does weight training have to go with cardio for a better result?

Question 3: how do I use a resistent band as part of weight training routain?

Thank you very much

Replies

• michelleherinckx
    Options
    Bump - I would like to know the same thing! :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I guess my questions are not very clear...or maybe I should move them to the exercise forum..
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm not an experienced exercise guy by any accounts so take my advice with a pinch of salt...

1) 8-12 reps, for 3 sets, adjust weight so that the three sets exhaust your muscles. From what I understand the old idea of higher reps and lower weight for toning has been pretty much debunked (but someone more experienced might put me right on that).

2) Yes combine cardio in your routine. It will burn cals faster and get rid of fat that's covering your muscles up. The less body fat you have, the more toned you will look. Not to mention cardio is vital for heart health.

3) You can do EVERYTHING with a resistance band. It's my fave way to work out. I recommend you get the Reebok resistance cord workout DVD by Sarah Haley.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    I recommend you just don't target specific areas and a complete body workout plan. bodybuilding.com has some really good workout plans depending on what you are trying to accomplish.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Now I got replies to both threads. :)