Can I Ever Get Rid of This Belly Overhang?

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Some of it is genetics, and it will take a varied time to get rid of it, but mostly its a matter of lowering your body fat percentage and getting fit. Good luck to everyone, and don't buy any damn wraps... that *kitten* doesn't do anything.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have the same issue and have a few suggestions for you.

You can do all of the crunches & ab work you want but that will only tighten the muscle underneath the fat. The only way to lose the fat is to burn it by creating a deficit in your daily caloric expenditure around 20% depening on how much you need to lose. There is a saying that "abs are made in the kitchen". This is 100% true! You diet has to be "on point"! So lean meats, veggies, some complex carbs, lots of water, low sodium, & ab work with the 20% deficit = losing the muffin top. Too much defict will cause you body to freak and hang onto muffin. Its a survival fat storage, and if it thinks we aren't going to eat enough its going to be resistant to go. Alot of gals who carry the fat around the mid section are more sensative to carbs....I do and I am insulin resistant. So I only eat complex carbs and only eat them in certain amounts, certain times of the day.

So here are some examples *I always pair a protein with a carb when I eat them*

Breakfast: steel cut oats and a protein like mixing in a scoop of whey or greek yogart. Or red skin potatoe (sm) with 2 eggs
    Snack: cottage cheese, greek yogart, low glycemic fruit such as an orange
    Lunch: Spinach salad with 6oz chicken breast, cukes, tomatoes, carrots, ect. 1s light ranch w/ red wine vinegar
    Snack: cottage cheese, greek yogart, low glycemic fruit such as an orange or some whey protein
    Dinner: NO CARBS Lean meats and veggies only

Hope this helps!

This...

Losing weight won't give you abs. Losing body fat will. You can maintain your current weight and work to build lean muscle mass and you would look better than if you lost another 20 lbs. For women to have abs, you need to have between 14-18% body fat (depending where you store your fat). Unfortunately, you can't determine where the fat comes from, so it's critical to lift and build lean muscle mass all over. The fact is, muscle burns fat. The more lean muscle mass you have, the quicker your body will burn the fat, the tighter your body will be, and the more definition you will have. It's also critical to ensure you are eating enough and minimizing the caloric deficit so your body can hold onto the lean muscle mass and work towards burning body fat. Using Katch McArdle, lets say your BMR is 1350 and you workout 5 days a week. That means on average you burn: 1350*1.55 = 2092 calories in a day. Add a 20% deficit and you should be eating around 1673 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Body wraps might help firm up loose skin, but they will not "detox", nor will they remove any fat.

More info, with sources, here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/168136-facts-on-body-wraps/
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    OK this is NOT me

its another MFP member who posted pictures of her weight loss sucess and I saved the photos for inspiration. In the pics u can see a bit of belly overhang and IDK how she did it, but once she reached her goal she looked fantastic!1 I tried finding her on MFP to ask her the secret but I can not find her anywhere! (if someone else finds her profile or knows who she is please let me know, i really have some question about the keys to her sucess lol)
    As a courtesy, I'd suggest removing those until you have her permission to do so. Sure, she may have posted them in another thread, but they are her pics and she knew where she was posting them.

:flowerforyou:
    In addition, there are legal issues involved with using pictures without the owners expressed permission. :flowerforyou:
  • trina433
    Options
    wow amazing super inspired right now.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This has been a great read. I was wondering how to firm up my mid-section.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I keep hearing that Cardio, Cardio, Cardio is the answer. I am giving it a shot. I guess it doesn't hurt right. If you still have some to lose cardio is going to help anyway. Good luck!

Not really. Add some weight training, make sure you're eating whole foods, do a little cardio and just be patient.

You cannot spot reduce. You can add in some things like planks to help core strength, but overall body weight training and building muscle mass and shedding the layer of fat is what will help.

If your skin is just stretched too much it may take longer or never be perfect. There are plenty of moms on here with the dreaded doughy overhang and they have done a great job at reducing it.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Everyone has posted great suggestions. Additionally, focus on lower back strengthening exercises either through pilates or hatha yoga to improve your posture and improve the lower core.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    weightlifting. Lift heavy weights and build muscle! And be patient. These things take time.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    weightlifting. Lift heavy weights and build muscle! And be patient. These things take time.

you speak the troof.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem.

Went from 272 to 198lbs in a little over 8 months.

I still have what my wife calls my "muffin top" . But it is getting smaller, slowly!! But it is going away.

I can hardly wait until bike season so that I can amp up my cardio and increase the speed at which this goes away!
  • MelBee29
    Options
    I have lose skin and belly hang not as much as before i know this is going to sound gross but i was reading an article and they said using prepH 3 times a day on the belly will help tighten the skin.... so 3 weeks later and i have noticed a difference! I also have been doing 6 week 6 pack by jillian michaels and seeing results , drink lots of water !
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    here is some great info on getting rid of the belly over hang.. Hope it helps!!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/186877-how-to-get-rid-of-fat-that-hangs-over-the-lower-abdomen/
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Continue eating right (healthy) and exercising (cardio/strength with ab work).

Note: When you lose weight, it takes a couple of months for your skin to firm back up, so don't get discouraged. Again, make sure that you continue to exercise and do not go on crash diets or try to lose weight too fast as this is dangerous, as this makes matters worse.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think because you are so young you have a better chance of getting a tighter stomach, your skin will probably tighten up quite well . Keep on working on it!!
  • perty09
    perty09 Posts: 58
    Options
    OK this is NOT me

its another MFP member who posted pictures of her weight loss sucess and I saved the photos for inspiration. In the pics u can see a bit of belly overhang and IDK how she did it, but once she reached her goal she looked fantastic!1 I tried finding her on MFP to ask her the secret but I can not find her anywhere! (if someone else finds her profile or knows who she is please let me know, i really have some question about the keys to her sucess lol)
    As a courtesy, I'd suggest removing those until you have her permission to do so. Sure, she may have posted them in another thread, but they are her pics and she knew where she was posting them.

yeah i just realized! thank you for the tip :)
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have to say CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO! I've been steadily losing and only have about 12lbs left to lose and I do still have a little belly pouch, but lots of running in combination with a good diet and strength training a few days a week it's slowly disappearing don't lose hope. Also one of my co-workers used these wraps everyone's talking about and she basically said they are for a "quick fix" like if you're going to a wedding or wanting to wear a bikini for a day. They don't give permanent results just reduced bloat and water weight. Those were the ones she used though I don't know if there are different types or not!
  • mandyl1242
    mandyl1242 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The main thing you need to remember when losing weight is to lift weights. You will not "get bulky" because you are a woman and women do not have enough testosterone to get bulky. Lifting is going to burn more fat and replace it with muscle. Muscle is smaller and more dense than fat so you will have a more toned look. Rather than losing by cardio and just getting saggy. Always lift first, then cardio. I am 29, have two daughters and hypothyroidism. I went up to 201 lbs and I currently weight 139 and I am in a size 6. This is because I have gained muscle. Also, diet plays an enormous role in stomach fat. Eat a very clean diet, fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats and whole grains. I hope you get where you want soon, summer's coming! :) Crunches won't do much except hurt your back. Try planking, russian twists, v-sit hold and lying windmills. Good luck and keep it up!!!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    OK this is NOT me

yeah i just realized! thank you for the tip :)
    As a courtesy, you ought to delete them from your computer too. You could always bookmark the thread that she posted them in. That would be a bit less... creepy. :smile:
  • genedotts
    genedotts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the bringer of bad news. But Wraps and all the Exercise wont work.

Your body has been its ways of dealing with the loose skin. Sometimes we can get lucky and it may go back. Just like all these models out there... Pregant one day and Smooth flat tummy the neck.

Well they are the lucky one. Wraps may help to a point. But I was told...

Take a ribber band. Put it around a bottle or a 2 liter. Leave it that way for a month.
    Take that rubber band off.
    Now see how Loose it is.
    Now put it back on the bottle again
    Month Later take it off.
    And once again, See how much more loose it is.

Now if you set the rubber band to the side. Or in a draw some where. Keeping in mind this Rubber Band is our belly's. And you can see after time the rubber band isnt going back to the Tight Feeling it had once before.

I think once you loose as much weight as possible. See a doctor about the belly fat. And get his opion. Not saying surgery. Just see what he says. Maybe there is some new age medicine or some great new cream or wrap out there.

My sister has the same problem. She wear spandex over the roll of skin and keeps it tight to her body and keeps it lotioned with Coco Butter. Till she is at the point where she is ready to see the doctor.

I dont know if this makes any since. But its the just of it. We have stretched our skin to disrepair in some cases. If it gets to the point its depressing you. See the doctor. And like I said... Maybe they will know what can help you better.

Good Luck