"dieting" during pregnancy?

Options
2»

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Def. something to discuss with your doctor - you are also able to do light cardio the entire time you are pregnant. But all in all for your safety and the safety of your unborn child you need to consult your doctor.

by the way Congratulations!!!
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who states that you should talk with your physician. However, here is something that you may find to be a helpful resource.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/pregnancy-breastfeeding.html
  • Foxness
    Options
    Angela- I disagree with almost every post on this forum. If you have a body mass index of over 30 before pregnancy, new studies suggest that maintaining or even losing weight while pregnant is healthier for the baby. If you have pounds to spare, dont worry about the baby "not getting enough" because IT WONT HAPPEN! Your body will provide for your child! Make sure you take your prenatal vitamins, eat healthy, exercise moderately, and dont try to lose more than a pound or two a week. Discuss everything with your OB, but do some research on your own. Losing or maintaining body weight results in a healthier birth weight for the infant, lower instances of diabetes and other pregnancy related complications
    The research is out there, most people just stick to the age-old "weight gain during pregnancy is always good" but new research indicates this is not always the case.

As for all the other posts that say you need an additional 200-300 calories while pregnant: your resting or basal metabolic rate only increases by this amount during your 3rd trimester, NOT your entire pregnancy. From 28 weeks on you should be eating an additional 200-300 calories and an additional 400-500 while breastfeeding.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I agree with talking to your doctor. It depends how overweight you are. You might just want to maintain, or your doctor might recommend cutting back a bit. Make sure you're taking pre-natals!

Also, from what I've read for a healthy weight person, you are not supposed to up your calories in the frist trimester. But the 2nd and 3rd supposed to increase by 200-300 daily.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I want to congradulate you on your decision for monitoring your eating pattern while you are pregnant so that you don't gain too much weight, because many women during this time mistaken pregnancy for a time to eat anything and everything. This is very unhealthy, and it makes losing weight after the delivery very difficult.

I don't agree with the suggestions to talk to your doctor about your eating plan. They are NOT nutritionists, nor do many of them specialize in that field. You need to be referred to a nutritionist who can help analyze your eating plan, and let you know the amount of calories you need to consume. I work as a senior nutritionist in my job, and I will let you know that these are the recommendations that work:

Increase fruits and vegetables (but still watch the fruit intake, somehow), eat them as snacks
    eat home-cooked foods, and limit packaged meals and restaurant foods (often high in fat, sugar, and sodium)
    limit or avoid fried foods
    limit or avoid sugary beverages and alcohol
    control your carbohydrate intake
    increase water intake
    don't eat your last meal before bedtime
    don't drink heavy shakes and high fat milks (some women do this because they think they need it when they are feeling low in energy)

Good luck!
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Angela- I disagree with almost every post on this forum. If you have a body mass index of over 30 before pregnancy, new studies suggest that maintaining or even losing weight while pregnant is healthier for the baby. If you have pounds to spare, dont worry about the baby "not getting enough" because IT WONT HAPPEN! Your body will provide for your child! Make sure you take your prenatal vitamins, eat healthy, exercise moderately, and dont try to lose more than a pound or two a week. Discuss everything with your OB, but do some research on your own. Losing or maintaining body weight results in a healthier birth weight for the infant, lower instances of diabetes and other pregnancy related complications
    The research is out there, most people just stick to the age-old "weight gain during pregnancy is always good" but new research indicates this is not always the case.

As for all the other posts that say you need an additional 200-300 calories while pregnant: your resting or basal metabolic rate only increases by this amount during your 3rd trimester, NOT your entire pregnancy. From 28 weeks on you should be eating an additional 200-300 calories and an additional 400-500 while breastfeeding.

Thank you!

I work closely with prenatal women every day at my job. I have met two women who lost weight in the beginning of their pregnancy. The first one did it under the advice of her doctor, and the second managed to it because she ate healthier and watched her carbohydrate intake. Both have high blood-pressure, and would have put themselves at risk for preclampsia if they didn't do this. Another woman I know lost weight during her pregnancy, and delivered an eight pound baby.

Everyone's situation is different. If gaining more weight will put your health at risk, it may be a good idea to monitor it like a hawk. My suggestion is to eat healthier and incorporate physical activity, but pay attention to what your body tells you, and you will get desirable results.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss must be put on hold. All that matters now is the well being of that little baby and it is natural for you to gain weight. Have a talk with your doctor about this.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    When you go see your doctor ask to be referred to a nutritionist who will give you a diet outline. I was in the same boat as you when I got pregnant and they had me eating 2100-2200 calories per day and restricting my carbs to help prevent my blood sugar from spiking. Your calorie goal may be totally different than mine was due to your current height, weight, age, medical needs, etc. The doctor told me my goal for weight gain was no more than 10-15 pounds. When I get pregnant again (if I am so lucky) I am going to be hyper vigilant about tracking my calories whatever they should be according to my needs at the time. Especially now that I have this nifty MFP app on my phone :) GOOD LUCK MAMA AND CONGRATS!
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the Baby news!

During my 3rd pregnancy I was very sick and lost 19 lbs the first 4 months - in the end I only gained 9 lbs - my pregnancy was fairly normal and healthy and so was my little girl ! I think it is great you want to stick with a healthy regiment while pregnant I wish I would have and I wouldn't be having issues with my weight now.....
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the statement that preeclampsia can be somewhat controlled through diet. I had severe pre-e with my first child and after MANY talks with MANY doctors they all told me the same thing. Pre-e has NOTHING to do with diet it has everything to do with where the placenta implants on the uterine wall. My high-risk doctor told me that with pre-e if you're going to get it you're going to get it. It's not your fault and it happens.

With that being said. With my second pregnancy I started at 214lbs I lost weight, not on purpose, and saw 201 on the scale before I started gaining again. By the end of my pregnancy I weighed 220. By the time I had my baby, a couple weeks after, I weighed 197. It is possible to have minimal weight gain with a pregnancy, just listen to your body and eat when you feel hungry.
  • JennyJStewart
    JennyJStewart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 33 weeks pregnant and I have been on MFP for 95 days. I started this pregnancy about 35 lbs overweight and I did not want to add more to what I already needed to lose. I am eating 1700-1800 cals a day - keeping carbs low due to blood sugar problems (I am 5'6" and my pre-pregnancy weight was 183lbs). I have started exercising regularly as well. I feel good and have gained 16.5lbs so far. I hope to keep the gain under 20-25lbs. I have lost over 7 inches in my arms, hips and legs over that same time. The baby is a normal size (according to ultrasound) and very active. I think if you use basic wisdom in eating healthy, keeping blood sugar steady and doing moderate exercise, it is just fine to limit your calories - use hunger to guide you - if I felt hungry ALL the time on my calorie count, I would up it.
  • brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Options
    DO NOT take nutritional advice from here..Talk to you Dr
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Talk to you Doctor by all means due to you will gain a bit and the Doctor wants you healthy to bring into the world a healthy baby. All I can say is read labels and stay away as much as you can from salts and sugars. Lots of healthy veggies and calcium.