Going Vegetarian?

Options
2»

Replies

• WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've been completely vegan for about three weeks now (before I ate meat maybe once a week, eggs every day, and no dairy), and I feel great. I have a lot of energy, and I've been able to wake up early when normally it's a struggle for me. I also suggest easing into it (I quit dairy first--I found that to be the easiest) and trying to stay away from the "junk" (I do like the occasional vegan 'chicken' finger, though). I struggle a bit with getting enough protein, but I find edamame and rice protein powder very helpful. Good luck!
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    Options
    Going vegetarian can be easy =)

Using meat substitues can really help with any meat cravings you have and as others have said, it's really easy to cook and can be used in replacement of meat in almost any recipe. I.e. veggie mince in spag. bol. and Quorn chicken fillets instead of a grilled chicken breast etc.

Make sure you keep your diet nice and balanced, lots of egg whites for protein boosts and green veg. for B12 etc.

One warning though, don't replace meat based meals with pasta and cheese or you'll just put on weight. There are lots of yummy vegetarian recipes that don't require lots of cheese or pasta. Try Googling a few recipes or getting yourself a nice veggie cookbook!

I wouldn't recommend going vegan straight away as it can be a difficult transition, but there's no harm in cutting back in the number of egg and dairy products you eat as long as you make sure you get your calcium and B12 from other sources =)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    personally i have loved going vegan, i do miss cheese but there are substitues that you can buy :) also, don't listen to people about why soy is bad, because you would have to be eating a hell of a lot of soys for this to be true, it's the same with everything, in moderation, but in saying that, you'd be in a lot more danger eating the amount of meat compared to soya for this to make a difference. soy is increidbly good for you and it's your main source of protien as a vegan or even vegetarian sometimes.

don't worry if you slip up, because everyone does you just gotta shop around and try different things out in terms of sustitues or do it the old fashioned way with wholegrains, veggies, tofu and other non processed foods. :)

I really suggest you read the links and look at where the information is coming from before you decide not to listen, then if you do that's fair, it may never affect you but it's worth the read and the video. I wouldn't say don't listen to people if it actually comes from someone with some sort of status about the topic ( isn't me, but I think the links are worth reading). There's also a book called "The Truth About Soy" which I will never read but I've had a lot of people suggest I read it.

But I understand where this person is coming from. A lot of people who are against vegetarians will point out it's bad so it seems like one of those pointless things (because soy is full of good stuff). And he's right, there is a ton of nutrition in soy, and everything should be in moderation. "The Truth about soy" apparently goes into how there's hidden soy in most products (breads etc) that we eat as a person (when you're not vegetarian). If you watch the video they'll mention that some soy is not as bad as other types, but I really think people should stay informed and not just ignore it.

Personally, I don't care if you drink eat and poop soy, just thought I'd bring it up :P

Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIn2L90wA8&feature=player_embedded
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at it for a weightloss reason I'd say don't bother. My sister was a vegetarian and then vegan for a total of about 15 years and she eventually went Paleo after she hit about 320lbs. She's since dropped close to 80lbs in a year and feels better than she has in years.

I firmly believe that Paleo is a much better solution for health and diet (weightloss too) purposes and gains many if not all the benefits of a vegetarian diet (lots and lots of vegtables!) while still allowing for better profile of nutrients and vitamins.

The very fact that vegan diets are so devoid of B12 (of which a severe defficiency can kill you) that you have to purposely supplement just to get any at all seems flawed at best and dangerous at worst, you can ONLY get B12 through meat unless you are supplementing.

I'd suggest visiting www.marksdailyapple.com and read about real whole foods in a Paleo setting before making a decision to go vegetarian, as again many of the principals of whole natural foods are stressed highly in each diet/lifestyle.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at it for a weightloss reason I'd say don't bother. My sister was a vegetarian and then vegan for a total of about 15 years and she eventually went Paleo after she hit about 320lbs. She's since dropped close to 80lbs in a year and feels better than she has in years./quote]

All the vegetarians/vegans I know that are over weight are because they're not eating healthy. They just default on fries and bread. But I totally second the paleo, a few friends of mine eat this way and one has dropped a ridiculous amount of weight by exercise and paleo.
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for 8-ish years now,and was vegan all through sixth from (only started dairy again cos catered uni halls didn't do a vegan option) and I can't imagine going back. It's a great feeling eating vegetables- just keep an eye on the cheese and chocolate! Vegetarian is definitely easier and more social. I lost loads of weight when I was vegan, But maybe that was just in contrast to all the cheese i ate before!

Find a shop that sells vegetarian things (usually a health food shop) and they usually do loaaaaadds of tasty vegetarian sweets too,which are organic and healthy!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, going vegetarian is no free pass to effortless weight loss. To hear some celebrities talk, you would think it is. Mindless eating of refined carbs, fat, crispy snacks and sweets can pack it on.

If you go lacto-ovo, eggs, cheese, and other dairy products can provide a lot of nutrition. For vegans, I think focusing on the following food groups can make for a healthy and light diet: fruit, vegetables, whole grains, beans & lentils, and small quantities of nuts and nut-butters. I would look first at what you already make and enjoy eating that is naturally meat free. Then, search for a good basic vegetarian cookbook that appeals to you.

As others have stated, if you go vegan and don't eat a lot of vitamin B12-enriched food, take a multiple vitamin, or vitamin B12 several times a week.
  • amandaharrop
    Options
    Maybe have a look at www.compassionatecooks.com Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is an amazing advocate for veganism, you will learn so much off her. I highly recommend her podcasts too, which you can find in her resources or on itunes. Her podcasts changed my life.