Can't stop eating!

Options
Calories in, calories out - i know it well and i understand it....but come the evening i just have no motivation and end up snacking. I am just at such a loss!

I'm a single mum, so i'm stuck at home, bored, i've tried everything i can think of but nothing keeps me entertained, i don't keep snack/junk foods in the house, i am well motivated during the day...just please, what can i do to stop myself?!

Replies

• jhutch2011
    jhutch2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you tried grabbing a glass of water when you feel the urge to snack? ...or sugar free gum? That always keeps my mouth busy and curbs my cravings! Exercise always helps too.
  • Pam1300
    Options
    It helps me if I replace the food with water
  • smithwick324
    Options
    Shut your mouth!

Seriously, are you logging everything you are eating?

Get up and walk around!

Put on Fit TV and do a workout!

Stand in front of the mirror naked! (that usaully helps me stop eating!)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    No reason you can't snack in the evening, you just need to plan for it. Save some calories for that later evening time.
  • kriseriksen
    Options
    Brush your teeth. Its weird but nothing tastes good after that. It also kills my sweet tooth.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If I am out of calories for the day, hot tea works for me a lot of times. I have the lemon/spearmint flavor and it gives me a little towards my sweet tooth.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    find a hobby that involves using your hands and that is quite messy. Up until I started crafting and scrap booking eating was easy... but scrap booking and crafting keeps my hands busy and I never want to get food on my projects.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day? What are you snacking on?

Sometimes if I don't eat enough good protein, I crave sweets.

Other times at night, I used to eat out of boredom.

I think the important thing to focus on is, if you're eating at night, how do you want to change this behavior? Some people will say, don't eat after a certain time. That doesn't work for me. I realized there were some healthier, filling alternatives I could have:

1)Fruit smoothie
    2)air popped popcorn
    3)Giant sald with lots of crunchy stuff (some walnuts, some craisins, scallions, tomatoes, a little blue cheese with a vinagraitte.

Figure out what works for you. There's no perfect way to do this, but in order to keep going, you have to find out what works.

Also, some people eat less later in the day if they eat a large breakfast.

Hang in there! You can do it!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of protein throughout the day along with some fat. And cut out processed sugar and white flour. You won't have as many cravings.

It's not as simple as calories in/calories out. It matters what those calories are made up of. At least I know that to be true for me.
  • groovycol
    Options
    first, don't beat yourself up. This is HARD work you are doing! An urge to eat may not last all that long. get a stopwatch or timer and say, if I still need something in 20 minutes, maybe I can have a little. distract yourself for 20 minutes, then eat only what you planned to eat. If you want more, you're going to have to set the timer again. will is a skill. practicing not eating for 20 minutes can help you get better at saying no to the urge.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you don't keep snack foods in the house, what are you snacking on? Since you know this is going to happen, my advice is to save calories for the evening and snack away. Keep healthy snacks like popcorn, veggies or apples and hummus or pb, yogurt, etc. on hand to snack on. Don't keep junk around to tempt you.

If it's still out of control, jump up and do 50 jumping jacks for every snack you eat. No jacks, no snacks!!
  • Bellachan
    Options
    I watched this you tube video a friend sent me and it helps me fight the evening urge! http://youtu.be/8T5413Ge9kQ
    It is truly inspiring! So When I walk mindlessly to the fridge or something I just remember and "listen" to my stomach instead of my mind! lol My tummys not growling and starving then I dont need to eat :) Hope it helps!

7645923.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    find a hobby that involves using your hands and that is quite messy. Up until I started crafting and scrap booking eating was easy... but scrap booking and crafting keeps my hands busy and I never want to get food on my projects.

i've done this. when i have the muchies, i'll grab my knitting needles.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home Mom without a car during the day. I bought an exercise bike and ride it everyday (but Sunday's) I get the kids out of the house as much as I can, even to go for a walk. I'm an emotional eater and eat when I'm bored. I joined here 2 weeks ago and am down 9 lbs...that's my motivation, seeing the numbers go down. I honestly think you need to be in the right frame of mind. I would diet off and on and exercise off and on, but now I decided that I need to do this to be healthy for my kids, have energy to play with them. Cut up veggie and fruit, snack on them....I find that celery with some peanut butter is yummy. I also bought low cal snacks, some with chocolate to help with that craving. You can do it!
  • inspirem
    inspirem Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth. Its weird but nothing tastes good after that. It also kills my sweet tooth.

I've heard this from one of MFP friends too, I think I'll try next time I have a craving!
  • kellyhogg
    kellyhogg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I am out of calories for the day, hot tea works for me a lot of times. I have the lemon/spearmint flavor and it gives me a little towards my sweet tooth.

I also drink hot tea. If i'm feeling restless, or like I want a snack...usually a cup of hot tea will curb that pretty well.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I get that way sometimes...but I'll do things to minimize the impact of the snacking...sometimes I'll do some crunches beforehand, drink one (or more) glasses of water, and then if I still feel like snacking I'll make it a healthy snack (some fruit or something like that)...one of my favorite ones for the times I just wanna eat and feel full is air popped popcorn...I pop my own and use butter cooking spray, its like 20 calories per popped cup,a nd its easy to eat it slowly and feel more full
  • xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Strawberry shortcake gum is my FAVE, try that, it is sweet and tricks you into thinking you ate a dessert. They also have apple pie flavored, serbert flavored, and mint choclate chip flavors too :) yummy
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods, I would suggest Chia seed. It seems to do alot including help with the full feeling for awhile.
  • bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Clear your cupboards of all of the junk food. If it's not there, it can't tempt you. Get yourself some healthy snacks and leave them in plain view.

I'm a stay at home mum too and my partner is away for up to 3 weeks at a time so i know how it feels. I carry around a big bottle of water with a little bit of sugar-free squash and just have a mouthful every 5-10 mins. Eat small meals every 2-3 hours and base it around good carbs and decent proteins. Think of chicken or turkey breast, wholewheat pasta or rice. Baked potato with tuna and salad, tortilla wraps with cooked ham etc. There's loads you can have so investigate and try new things, don't focus on what you shouldn't have.

And most important, track track TRACK! Plan your meals and snacks the day before and all you need to do is look and make. By the time you're finished your breakfast, your mid morning healthy snack is almost due to be scoffed!