I am running faster BUT...

Options
2»

Replies

• MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    sometimes i play what i call the "HRM game". I'll sprint to get my heart rate up as high as i can for as long as i can stand it, then drop to a fast walk, then a slow walk and let my heart rate get down. The whole "game" is not to let my heart rate get under a certain # (for me it's 130). The bursts of energy you use during the sprint intervals will burn some calories!
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    sometimes i play what i call the "HRM game". I'll sprint to get my heart rate up as high as i can for as long as i can stand it, then drop to a fast walk, then a slow walk and let my heart rate get down. The whole "game" is not to let my heart rate get under a certain # (for me it's 130). The bursts of energy you use during the sprint intervals will burn some calories!
    Not to mention that interval training is great if you play any sports or plan to in the future.

I tried out for the US Olympic handball team once and we had to do a series of shuttle runs. We had to run 25 meters, turn back and run 25 meters back to the start line, then after a fifteen-second rest we repeated until we had run a total of six times. I was lying supine on the gym floor for about five minutes after I finished that one...
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    At the gym I go to they have a weighted vest type thing that I've seen people running in, it doesn't look comfy, but they look like they are working hard. LOL.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Are you running for the same ammount of time or for the same distance? If you are only running for the same distance and since you are running faster you are running for less time I believe that may be why you are burning less calories.

Yep.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Run up hills. Presto!!! Higher cal burn.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I totally recommend the sprints, but only once a week. The other runs should be easier and one should be "long". Adding distance will increase your endurance and burn big calories. If you don't have a smartphone, no worries... you can map out a route before hand at runkeeper.com or something like that and just get out there and enjoy the fresh air! Once you're sufficiently warmed up, pick a landmark (a sign, telephone pole, the next intersection) and run as fast as you can until then. Once you get there, jog a bit until you recover/catch your breath. Do it again! Adding these sprints will make you faster and acutally able to run farther as well.

I would not recommend adding weight. Everything I've read will say that it can throw off your stride and lead to injury. Of course, I wear a fuel belt when I go long or it's really hot in the summer, which does add a little, but it keeps it right at my center of gravity so it works well. Just my 2 cents!

Congrats on the great 5k time! Took me over a year to get that fast!!!!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the running!

You're getting stronger, lungs and heart are getting better at passing oxygen, etc., etc. so your hard work is paying off.

Ways to burn more cals?

Run further - I'm getting back to where 6 miles is my short run (I damaged my Achilles so I had to rest for three weeks).

Run with more weight - we tromped around with 50+ pounds in our rucksack when I was in the Army. That is "good training" (especially when you carry an M60 machine gun!) but a little heavy for civilians. Now, I have a civilian backpack and I put a big can of tomatoes (from CostCo) in it.

Another alternative is to run with a water pack. I bought a "fuel belt" and a "water belt" manufactured by Nathan. Got them on Amazon and they're worth every penny. I bought a Camelbak 70 oz bladder in place of the Nathan bladder. 70 oz of H2O = 70 oz that you're adding but you're also bringing your water along with you. Here in Southern California, I need the water on runs > 6 miles.

Run hills - going up is builds muscle though coming down can be hard on your knees.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do a google search on Fartlek training. Someone already mentioned the gist of it. Increase your speed from one landmark to another.

I wouldn't get too excited over a 15 calorie difference. That could be anything. A head wind. A different course. A different hill.

Just because you are going faster doesn't mean you are actually exerting more effort then you used to.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a few months now and I have gotten a lot faster these last few weeks... today I ran my personal 5k best of 28:58. Now The real question here is...I am going faster..but burning LESS calories!

When I was running 10 min miles I was burning around 345 calories.

Now that I am running 8-9 min miles, I am averaging around 330 calories.

I use a Polar FT4 HRM and I even adjusted the user settings to meet my lbs lost thinking that May have been it...buuuut...

So advanced fitness gurus.. What Do I have to do (besides running further lol) to burn more calories?!?! I am not completely upset about it since I run for hobby now instead of strictly fitness, but I would still like to know whats going on here. :D

The fitter you are, the more efficiently your body uses energy.

To burn more calories, you will either have to train for longer or fasten up the pace.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a few months now and I have gotten a lot faster these last few weeks... today I ran my personal 5k best of 28:58. Now The real question here is...I am going faster..but burning LESS calories!

I use a Polar FT4 HRM and I even adjusted the user settings to meet my lbs lost thinking that May have been it...buuuut...

So advanced fitness gurus.. What Do I have to do (besides running further lol) to burn more calories?!?! I am not completely upset about it since I run for hobby now instead of strictly fitness, but I would still like to know whats going on here. :D

I am approximating this based on your ticker and your reported running times.

The decrease in calories is due to your decreased body weight. You have increased your speed, but not enough to account for the decrease in body wt.

Again, based on your numbers:

Running 10 min mile: 5K time 31:08, Intensity: 10.2 METs; Weight (est) 75 Kg (165 lb) --total burn 395 calories.

Running 28.58 5K : Pace ~9:20 per mile. Intensity 10.8 METs; Weight (est) 65 kg (143 lb) -- total burn 337 calories

It often happens that weight loss occurs faster than increases in fitness level. If you continued to train and improve, eventually you should speed up to the point where you will equal your previous burn.
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options

The decrease in calories is due to your decreased body weight. You have increased your speed, but not enough to account for the decrease in body wt.

Running 10 min mile: 5K time 31:08, Intensity: 10.2 METs; Weight (est) 75 Kg (165 lb) --total burn 395 calories.

Running 28.58 5K : Pace ~9:20 per mile. Intensity 10.8 METs; Weight (est) 65 kg (143 lb) -- total burn 337 calories

It often happens that weight loss occurs faster than increases in fitness level. If you continued to train and improve, eventually you should speed up to the point where you will equal your previous burn.

Hi Azdak,

Does it mean that its a baseless argument when some people say that if you continue to do the same exercise, body gets used to it and burn less and less calories (given the same weight, and same intensity of exercises e.g. run). Just asking out of curiosity :)

Thanks.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    well I sorta did a mix of everything today...lol I ran a totally different route..sorta made it up as I went. Had some good hills...stuck some sprints in there, and it was about .88 of a mile longer that my normal route. Bumped my calorie burn to 400+ lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Hi Azdak,

Does it mean that its a baseless argument when some people say that if you continue to do the same exercise, body gets used to it and burn less and less calories (given the same weight, and same intensity of exercises e.g. run). Just asking out of curiosity :)

Thanks.

Yeah, pretty much. It's an argument that fails on two levels: One, we do not become that much more efficient mechanically--even professionals who train hours a day only achieve 5% or less improvements in efficiency over years of training. There might be more substantial changes over, say, 10 years of running, but that's not what people are usually referrning to.

Two, the assumption is that, even though you are training and exercising and improving, you will never increase you workload. From a practical standpoint, that's kind of absurd. I mean if you were running at 6 mph 4 times a week for 3-4 months, would you never increase to, say 6.2 mph? Of course you would--that's the whole reason you are exercising.

So the small increses in mechanical efficiency are easily offset (and more) by just increasing your workload.

What actually happens is that, over time, people gradually restore a balance in their lifestyle. They start eating more, doing less casual activity, etc. But they keep hearing Tony Horton and other goofs yelling 'muscle confusion" every 5 min and start to believe it.

Now you WILL see a calorie decrease if you lose weight, and if you lose a lot of weight relatively quickly, then you might not be able to increase your fitness level fast enough to compensate.

I lost 60 lbs in 5 months. Within the first month, I had gotten my endurance and fitness up to where I could run for 60 min on the treadmill. I was just starting to lose the weight. I set a "record" of burning 1000 in 51:45 running on the treadmill. After I lost a lot of weight, I found it a struggle to get 1000 calories in under 53 minutre, even though I was running a lot faster. It took almost a year to get my fitness level up to where I was running fast enough to break the 51 minute barrier--by then my running speed was at least 1.5 mph faster than when I had set the previous record.