Help....I don't using measuring devices!

Options
So I'm trying to monitor my portions and follow what's on the back of foods. But what about say......salads??? I dump in a finger full of carrots, craisins, a handful of lettuce, a few tomatoes......how do I measure that. I certainly don't want 4 cups of lettuce, a third cup of carrots, 3 ounces of chicken( you get where I'm going). I just want a little salad for lunch. But how do I count the calories, etc.

Another one is condiments. So I make a 4oz turkey burger on a 60 calorie bun BUT I use a knife to spread light miracle whip on it. Clearly it isn't two tablespoons; and then the lettuce and tomato, ketchup and mustard!

I'm really trying but this is hard.......HELP, and suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I was the same, but yeah, you'll just have to end up measuring for a while. Once you actually measure for a couple weeks you'll get a really good eye ball for what a tablespoon of something is, and what a cup of cut lettuce looks like.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was the same, but yeah, you'll just have to end up measuring for a while. Once you actually measure for a couple weeks you'll get a really good eye ball for what a tablespoon of something is, and what a cup of cut lettuce looks like.

This!!!
  • Sharnitab
    Sharnitab Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    .....and don't get me started with homemade soup or spaghetti sauce, Sheesh! How do I figure how many calories there are???
  • JudyPMorg
    Options
    What I've done is estimate what portion I did use. So, a tablespoon = 3 teaspoons, if the portion you used was less than a tablespoon, then you used .5, .33 or .75 or whatever of that portion. I had to use a conversion chart and went from there. Hope this helps!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Weigh it. With a kitchen scale. That's the only way to be accurate - you can't be lazy and guesstimate. Weighing it out will help give you an appreciation of portion size too.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It can be a pain at times, but really using the measuring utensils is the way to go! When I make homemade recipes, I use the recipe calculator here on the site, and I actually get a measuring cup out and measure the whole recipe to break it down into serving sizes. Again...a pain, but I'm worth it!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    .....and don't get me started with homemade soup or spaghetti sauce, Sheesh! How do I figure how many calories there are???

Use the recipe feature here :) You add all the individual ingredients and how much of them you use. If the quantity you end up with is say 2 cups of marinara sauce and if you used 1/2 cup of sauce on your pasta - you get 4 servings from those 2 cups. The recipe feature figures the calories, the carbs, sodium, etc..... You can save the recipe and if you make it the same time after time, all the facts are there.

Oops, the above poster & I were typing at the same time - sorry for the repeat of info......
  • alduvall
    alduvall Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. I didn't measure either, but when I did test myself by putting something in a measuring cups that I thought I estimated right, I was way off. After getting a sense of what a portion is, I would imagine that it would be possible to back away from measuring. Also, you can save recipes of stuff you make a lot, so it will be a pain the first time, but once you save it, you can just choose how much you ate of your recipe. The key to the success of this is putting in accurate information, that's the only thing that makes it work, so definitely worth the pain of measuring.
  • Sharnitab
    Options
    It does, thanks!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    What do you have against measuring devices?
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    WHY don't you use measuring devices? Are they against your religion? You live in a cardboard box? You are morally offended by them? :tongue:

Everybody I know at least has a set of measuring cups. You don't have any? If you have a single drinking cup, maybe you could go to someone's house a measure a half cup, a cup, etc. and mark the graduations on the side of your drinking cup?

I don't understand why you are acting helpless. If you don't know how much food there is, then yes, measure it. Get out a set of measuring spoons and cups and start measuring as you go to get an idea of how much you are eating, don't just sit there and say "I don't know how much this is". A spring scale at the department store probably costs under $10, if you want to measure items by weight. Some foods in the database might even be able to be measured with a ruler - a 4" pancake, for example.

You can do it. Take responsibility for this journey. Go all the way, don't just hang around the edges and shrug that you can't do it. If you don't know the measurement, measure it!

Pam
  • Sharnitab
    Options
    I will certainly start to use the recipe builder! That will certainly help with the soups and sauces. Thanks
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I estimate, but I have an uncanny eye for portions, sizes and dimensions.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Measuring is really not all that hard, and once you have done it for a long time you will start to be able to eyeball a proper serving size much more efficiently.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    I will certainly start to use the recipe builder! That will certainly help with the soups and sauces. Thanks

Wishing you good luck - YOU CAN DO IT :) ((HUGS))
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    suck it up buttercup. Come on now. It´s not that hard or complicated.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    First things first, get yourself a scale, a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons and start measuring EVERYTHING you plan to eat. It really is about the portions and re-learning (or learning) what is a true serving versus eye-balling or what you think might be a serving.

As for recipes the recipe calculator on this site is a valuable tool. Make your food, then measure (cup/oz, etc) the entire thing, then decide how much is in each portion. For example if you make a soup, and it is 10 cups and want 1 cup/serving the recipe calculator will calculate this for you based upon what you input, you however are responsible for the measuring and determining your portion size per recipe. Then once you have it saved you can continue to reuse the recipe and already have determined the portion size.

Good luck!
  • netty1959
    Options
    best way hun invest in some digital kitchen scales, not very expensive now
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I bought some cheap bowls and put in a measured amount of something I eat a lot of - soup (it could be your salad for this case) and marked the amount on the bowl with a permanent pen - same amount every time!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    A little effort will go a long way.

:flowerforyou: